Newbie Needs Advice: What's Your Preference?

golightly01

Thanks so much to all of you again!

Do you all remember your first cruises and what that experience was like? Is that why you're still cruising? I can't imagine not falling in love with it, but everyone is different, I suppose.

If my 3rd cruise had been my 1st cruise I’d probably have never cruised again.

Fortunately. First cruise was great.

Why do we cruise is because Mrs Gut can’t fly and we love the unpack once, wake up in a waterfront room every day, but a different location and do as much or as little as we want.

Ditto with our third cruise. :eek:

We cruise because we like being at sea. The ports are usually just added incentives but not the main reason to cruise, although it's wonderful to visit faraway places that would be costly and time-consuming to visit by air and land - Mediterranean ports from Barcelona to Greece, Montenegro and Dubrovnik, being able to embark and disembark in Sydney yet visit Hawaii and Tahiti. But I'd be just as happy heading off to a warm part of the South Pacific for a week or two without any port stops.

• Post-embarkation: What do you do your first hours/day on the ship? Any tips? We head to our cabin to drop off our carry-ons and make any bookings we want (dining, balcony dinner, chef's table, etc), go to the Sanctuary to book for sea days, then head to the MDR for a quiet lunch.
  • Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay? There is usually a sailaway party but we often just grab a cocktail and find somewhere quieter. On one formal night there is usually a function in the atrium where you can have photos with the captain, or "filling" the champagne fountain. They offer glasses of free "champagne" that night - warning, it's dreadful.
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held? Yes, for us. We love getting dressed up to the nines. Usually on sea days.
  • Final debarkation: Any tips? We prefer to disembark late so choose the latest time, usually around 9:30. We vacate our cabin by 8am, go to breakfast in the MDR, then wait until our disembarkation group is called. If you have to fly home after the cruise, don't book your flight too early. If it's an international flight or a hard to reschedule domestic flight, stay a night or so between the cruise and the flight, just in case there are any delays.

Then a few likely silly questions:

• Shows/entertainment: We are super interested. How do we see shows but still have dinner? You'll soon get into the rhythm of shows and dining. However some shows can be immensely popular specially the early shows, so allow plenty of time to get to the theatre early. Sometimes you need to get there 45 minutes before the show starts.
  • Timing in ports: When the itinerary time says that we're in port from 6:30am - 2:30pm, does this mean we actually need to be back on ship earlier? How much earlier? Typically 30 minutes for a docked port. For a tender port you need to be at the tender wharf an hour before. The "All Aboard" time is always clearly posted in the Patter and at the exit from the ship.
  • Tipping: We believe in tipping. We know that the gratuity is built in, though. Thoughts on additional tipping for our steward, bartenders, servers, etc.? Your choice. The crew are always grateful for that little bit extra. ;)

THANK YOU for your advice... here's to a wonderful experience! (y)

Comments above. Have a wonderful cruise.

Do you all remember your first cruises and what that experience was like? Is that why you're still cruising? I can't imagine not falling in love with it, but everyone is different, I suppose.

Our first several cruises were through the state bar assoc. in the ;)mid-90s and two were on old 1950s liners in the Caribbean and Hawaii. Fortunately, our 3rd was on Celebrity's Mercury when it was fairly new and we were definitely hooked. We used a nearby travel agent for awhile, but eventually started doing our own bookings as it's something I really enjoy.

Our first several cruises were through the state bar assoc. in the ;)mid-90s and two were on old 1950s liners in the Caribbean and Hawaii. Fortunately, our 3rd was on Celebrity's Mercury when it was fairly new and we were definitely hooked. We used a nearby travel agent for awhile, but eventually started doing our own bookings as it's something I really enjoy.

Wow, wish our bar Assn did cruises.

Thanks so much to all of you again!

Yep. My wife took me kicking and screaming. I had no desire to be on a cruise ship - none. It was however something she always dreamed of doing so I went, kicking and screaming as I said. It didn't take long for me to appreciate the food and service. I remember sitting on the back of the Carnival Fantasy in Nassau on a beautiful late winter day having breakfast. That was it for me. SOLD! Here we are, 25 cruises later and its something that we thoroughly enjoy still. I've even entered into the cruise industry as a part time TA. With retirement coming closer than I'd like I wanted something I could do in my later years that would allow me to still enjoy cruising and be part of the industry. As far as falling in love with cruising, there's a very good chance you will. Cruising has a 92% satisfaction rating compared to all-inclusives that hover around the low 70's so you're going to enjoy it.

Have fun, keep asking questions. We all started where you are today and relied on the experience of others to help us learn more.

"nice restaurant at home" - think Golden Corral for the mdr experience, Outback = Crown Grill, Olive Garden = Sabatini's...;p

just kidding about those last 2 - as we always enjoy CG and S - and are more likely to 'dress up' for those than 'formal' night in the mdr...

Golden Corral --yours must be much better than ours!

Room service breakfast is a great way to start the day when you have an early excursion. It is included in the cost of the cruise. You can do it with a card on your door or using the Princess internal net system (forgotten it's name!). Hope you have lots of wonderful things planned.

Wow, wish our bar Assn did cruises.

Not to rub it in, but they also sponsored 1-week land trips to places like Vienna and Rome with excursions every day to another like Pisa or Florence or the Prague. Guides would be with us throughout the week (had the same wonderful guide for several trips). As my DH has been retired for nearly 20 yrs, don't know if the Michigan State Bar is still doing this.

I really can't thank you enough. Seriously, your expertise is helping me and so many others.

In addition to these items you've all covered, can someone expand on the muster drill? This is a completely foreign concept. All I know is it is required.

Also, any favorite spots on the ship for viewing the glaciers and scenery? We have an interior room and plan to spend most of our time exploring and enjoying the ship for our viewing.

And any beverage tips? We enjoy a few good cocktails but are opting to pay as we go (no pre-pay plan). Any tasty favorites? Are the drinks bar-quality or watered down like those found in some all-inclusive resorts?

I think someone else provided info. on the muster drill. Basically ,shortly before sail away, everyone reports to their "muster" station. Bars are closed, shops closed, no services during this time. You go through a safety briefing of what to do in the unlikely event of an emergency. The safety demonstration only takes a short time (5-10 minutes). What often takes awhile is waiting for everyone to get to their muster stations and check in. You will show your cruise card, they will scan, to make sure 100% attendance. Do yourself a favor and show up on time or a little early. Some of the stations are very full and you end up standing forever. I enjoy sitting leisurely and watching people.

Favorite spots for Glacier viewing is up top on the Lido deck. You can see 360 degrees around you. Promenade deck is good if it is rainy but I find myself making several trips around or through the ship to the other side, especially when there are whales or other wildlife. When they are at the main glaciers, the captain will rotate the ship around so there is no worry about "missing" it. Skywalkers is also a nice quiet place for viewing, especially in glacier bay. Although I would want to be outside for the actual glaciers. Don't worry, you'll have enough time to get outside. The ships stays at the glaciers for a long time.

Drinks are generally really good. Definitely not watered down as they can tend to be at all inclusives. The only time I have felt they are weak is on daiquiris and coladas. But I always have the drink package so that's not always a bad thing ;) If you taste it and feel like it is not as strong as you would like, just ask the bartender to top it off. With a cash tip, they are happy to please. Crooners is the "martini" bar, although you can order anything there. The bartenders there are generally some of the best onboard (although I'm not sure I've met a 'bad' bartender on board on any ship!). I've never thought anything I got there was weak. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Some of my favorite drinks: They make a chocolate banana drink that is yummy, with an entire banana blended. I'm not even sure what they call or if it is officially on a menu. I just call it the yummy chocolate banana drink. The mojitos are good, if you like those. The margaritas, especially at Outrigger (bar on the back of the ship by the terrace pool) are great too. My husband is partial to the Chairman of the Board martini. You can have any drink at any bar, but there are different menus to go with their "theme". If you find one you like one place, don't be afraid to order it somewhere else.

On that note, when going to the theatre, especially if you're arriving with only 15-20 minutes before show time, I recommend stopping and getting a drink first, or finding a server before sitting down. It can sometimes take them awhile to bring a drink and I hate to interrupt others sitting in the row while I get drink service, especially if the show has started. for all the other activities in lounges, etc. there will be many roving servers.

One other tip. Reserve one evening with yourself to go to the hot tub on the top deck while sailing Alaska. There is something magical to me when it's misting and cool out and being in the hot tub. Unlike Caribbean cruises, the hot tubs rarely have more than a few people (and at nights, it's very possible they are empty). It's a quiet respite from the activity inside and you can take in the mountains around you. Just after dusk (depending on when you go, if there is dusk at all), the mountains are really purple and is one of my favorite things to do. I just have to remember not to get caught up in everything else and take time to do it.