Accessible Stateroom

Hello everyone. So, ive been looking at booking through Expedia for Oasis in December, as I have some points I can use towards the trip. After searching for our category we want and looking at the stateroom on Oasis floor-plan it is an accessible stateroom. It is not labeled as accessible whatsover through expedia, and when trying to book directly online through royal the stateroom doesn't even show as available (with and without the accessible stateroom option clicked). After reading online I saw that sometimes they will open these up, as there are a good bit of accessible staterooms open, almost more than regular ones. I, of course, dont want to take an accessible stateroom from anyone who would need it, but if Royal is opening these up since they arent being booked then of course the room would be nice. What is everyones thoughts?

Hello everyone. So, ive been looking at booking through Expedia for Oasis in December, as I have some points I can use towards the trip. After searching for our category we want and looking at the stateroom on Oasis floor-plan it is an accessible stateroom. It is not labeled as accessible whatsover through expedia, and when trying to book directly online through royal the stateroom doesn't even show as available (with and without the accessible stateroom option clicked). After reading online I saw that sometimes they will open these up, as there are a good bit of accessible staterooms open, almost more than regular ones. I, of course, dont want to take an accessible stateroom from anyone who would need it, but if Royal is opening these up since they arent being booked then of course the room would be nice. What is everyones thoughts?

Unless you are getting about 8% (10% commissionable) DON'T!

It's too early for the cruisline to be releasing accessible cabins.

As someone who needs to book accessible I do not like that royal opens these up to people that do not need them. This is one of the many reasons that people in a wheelchair can not wait to book. As a matter of fact I booked oasis for this december and the room type I booked has been sold out since the week I booked it last December. So despite what royal allows think about what is right.

Though you say you don't want to take an accessible cabin away from some who needs, in actuality you're wanting to book an accessible cabin as it saves you the cost of booking a larger standard cabin or suite.

Doesn't matter if the accessible cabins aren't being booked. As a result of able bodied people fraudulantly booking accessible cabins the following now applies for any cruise ship embarking from a USA Port.

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et.al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines. a Federal Law under the Department ofTransportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1,2012 that requiresthat the cruiselines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical orphysical need to book the cabin . Though this new regulation came aboutin 2010/2011, the cruise lines were granted until January 1, 2012 to completelycomply with these new regulations. Because of this new law Cruise lines havealso had to reclassify its HC cabins. Some of the key points to this new laware:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts byindividuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins becausethey have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether theindividual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has amobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessiblefeatures that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabinis for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires theuse of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

CFR › Title 49 › Subtitle A › Part 39 › SubpartB › Section 39.39

© Youmay release unsold accessible cabins to persons without disabilities for theirown use when all other cabins in the same class of service and price for avoyage have been reserved.

(d) Ifa passenger with a disability seeks to reserve an accessible cabin in a givenclass of service, and there is not an available accessible cabin in that classof service, but there is an available accessible cabin in a different class ofservice, you must allow the passenger to reserve that accessible cabin at theprice of the requested class of service of the class of service in which theaccessible cabin exists, whichever is lower.

Under this law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin are ;

• after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.
  • If there's one accessible cabin left and all other standard cabins as well as accessible cabin in the same cabin classification are sold than an abled-bodied person can book that accessble cabin even if the final payment hasn't past. Example if there's one accessible cabin E1 left and all standard E1 and all other E1 Accessible cabins are sold than it's allowed under the law for the accessible cabin to be sold to an able-bodied person even if the final payment period hasn't passed.
  • The cruise line can also assign any unsold accessible cabins after the final payment period against gauranteed bookings of able bodied passengers.

Edited by xxoocruiser

So now I'm confused.... due to a price drop, I was upgraded from an interior to an ocean view guarantee for an upcoming sailing. After getting my new cabin assignment, it appears to be an accessible cabin. Am I not supposed to take the cabin now or is it okay since it is close to sailing? I thought this was only done if the cabin was available and hadn't been booked.

So now I'm confused.... due to a price drop, I was upgraded from an interior to an ocean view guarantee for an upcoming sailing. After getting my new cabin assignment, it appears to be an accessible cabin. Am I not supposed to take the cabin now or is it okay since it is close to sailing? I thought this was only done if the cabin was available and hadn't been booked.

If it is past your final payment date, take the cabin and enjoy the extra space!

Take it!

Was the assignment made after the final payment period had past ? If so, than RCCL was within it right per the USA Department of Transportation Law to assign you an accessible cabin assuming the cruise is embarking form a USA Port. If the assignment of cabin against the guarantee booking was made by RCCL prior to the final payment date than morally and ethically you should ask to be reassigned a non-accessible cabin as RCCL violated the law assuming the cruise is embarking from a USA port.

Was the assignment made after the final payment period had past ? If so, than RCCL was within it right per the USA Department of Transportation Law to assign you an accessible cabin assuming the cruise is embarking form a USA Port. If the assignment of cabin against the guarantee booking was made by RCCL prior to the final payment date than morally and ethically you should ask to be reassigned a non-accessible cabin as RCCL violated the law assuming the cruise is embarking from a USA port.

Wrong and from your own post. This has been in effect for many years with Royal Caribbean

If there's one accessible cabin left and all other standard cabins as well as accessible cabin in the same cabin classification are sold than an abled-bodied person can book that accessble cabin even if the final payment hasn't past. Example if there's one accessible cabin E1 left and all standard E1 and all other E1 Accessible cabins are sold than it's allowed under the law for the accessible cabin to be sold to an able-bodied person even if the final payment period hasn't passed.

The final payment date has long passed.

Wrong and from your own post. This has been in effect for many years with Royal Caribbean

If there's one accessible cabin left and all other standard cabins as well as accessible cabin in the same cabin classification are sold than an abled-bodied person can book that accessble cabin even if the final payment hasn't past. Example if there's one accessible cabin E1 left and all standard E1 and all other E1 Accessible cabins are sold than it's allowed under the law for the accessible cabin to be sold to an able-bodied person even if the final payment period hasn't passed.

The post I made that you claim is wrong is not. I replied to the individual who was assigned an accessible cabin against a guarantee . In which case what I replied was correct. It was not that the individual was trying to book the last available cabin in a category so there was no reason to requite back to me what I posted as it does not apply to situation. Suggest you re-read Funsinger75 Post # 5 and my response Post #9,

Yes I know the policy about the last accessible room in a category has been in place for many years. In fact it's been better enforced by RCCL since the USA Department of Transportation Law ( Post #4 ) went into effect January 1, 2012.

As someone who needs to book accessible I do not like that royal opens these up to people that do not need them. This is one of the many reasons that people in a wheelchair can not wait to book. As a matter of fact I booked oasis for this december and the room type I booked has been sold out since the week I booked it last December. So despite what royal allows think about what is right.

It is not only RCI ,every cruise line does this .Not everyone has a visible disability . Years ago passengers had to get a letter from their physician in order to book an accessible cabin . I would like to see that again.

The post I made that you claim is wrong is not. I replied to the individual who was assigned an accessible cabin against a guarantee . In which case what I replied was correct. It was not that the individual was trying to book the last available cabin in a category so there was no reason to requite back to me what I posted as it does not apply to situation. Suggest you re-read Funsinger75 Post # 5 and my response Post #9,

Yes I know the policy about the last accessible room in a category has been in place for many years. In fact it's been better enforced by RCCL since the USA Department of Transportation Law ( Post #4 ) went into effect January 1, 2012.

Don't know what your argument is. The cruiseline can certainly give or anyone can book an accessible cabin if there are no other cabins left in the category or after final payment. What does guarantee have to do with it?

It's after final payment. They either release it and anyone can book it or they assign to someone with a guaranty booking

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Don't know what your argument is. The cruiseline can certainly give or anyone can book an accessible cabin if there are no other cabins left in the category or after final payment. What does guarantee have to do with it?

It's after final payment. They either release it and anyone can book it or they assign to someone with a guaranty booking

'

The guy's original post stated that his interior booking dropped in price and was able to upgrade to a "GUARANTEED" oceanview . The cruiseline than assigned an accessible cabin against his GUARANTEED booking and it was apparently after final payment which was in compliance with the law stated in post #4. That's what GAURANTEE has to do with it.

No where was it ever stated the guy was trying to book an accessible cabin as it was the last in the category. For some reason your the only person that read his post as being that .

Edited by xxoocruiser

'

The guy's original post stated that his interior booking dropped in price and was able to upgrade to a "GUARANTEED" oceanview . The cruiseline than assigned an accessible cabin against his GUARANTEED booking and it was apparently after final payment which was in compliance with the law stated in post #4. That's what GAURANTEE has to do with it.

No where was it ever stated the guy was trying to book an accessible cabin as it was the last in the category. For some reason your the only person that read his post as being that .

banghead.gif

Several times we were assigned a handicapped stateroom when we did a 'guarantee' booking.

I know some people prefer these as the shower is easy to access & you get a bit more square footage.

I personally prefer a regular cabin for the extra storage & sometimes furniture.