Emerald Princess

The Moore

Amazing time in Vancouver and Alaska. This was our 26th cruise overall and 13th on Princess. I’ve never had a cruise I didn’t like but one.

A few changes since our last cruise on Princess last November that I’d like to be brought back. Biggest is a happy hour for anyone not just Platinum and Elite guests. I understand they may have given too much before with but one get one drink for a $1, but at least have something to bring people together. Even if at 3:00 it’s a $1 off for happy hour! Miss meeting new cruisers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately it's not only the Emerald but the other ships as well.

From the lack of people lining up to get drinks I'll bet things will change very soon back to the old way of doing business.

I believe in time happy hours will return in some form. Princess most likely purchases their alcoholic beverages under very favorable contracts from the manufacturers and it is Federal and State tax free. They make plenty on alcoholic beverages.

Biggest is a happy hour for anyone not just Platinum and Elite guests.

The PES benefit each evening is not really a Happy Hour event. Except for a handful of cocktails that most people do not want, you pay regular prices. And the special cocktails are only a dollar or two less than normal.

BOGO HH actually causes some/many pax to buy more than they might paying full price. I’m sure the Princess bean counters have it all figured out but this latest decision to cancel the BOGO will certainly curtail many from buying so many full priced drinks. The fun of the get together makes it great for the cruise line, happy passengers. Hoping for a change back to the old policy.

Other than bringing two bottles of wine with us, we didn’t drink anywhere near what we did with the BOGO HH on our last cruises. Hopefully Princess will bring it back. We were disappointed on the Platinum & Elite HH. Boring! People don’t talk to each other at tables except their own groups. Give me a bar or high top counter.

The true value in the happy hour, that they've now eliminated fleet wide, was the gathering. We met so many nice people in there throughout the years. I think it was a big mistake to cancel this event ... at least the afternoon one; we never went to the evening one. We cruised last month and even though we had the beverage package, we found ourselves missing the happy hour event. And, IMO, I don't think that only $1 off a drink will be a big draw to that many passengers. When it started, it was a true BOGO, then BOGO for a $1 was introduced with no real push back from the attendees ... because it always served as an activity / entertainment and not just a way to spend money. Wish Princess would reconsider! They had a good thing going and they killed it. RIP BOGO!!

The other fail was the decisions made by corporate to put expiration dates on the coffee cards. I get it for the brewed coffee but not for the punches for specialty coffees.

Cruising is still fun and bargains are to be had, but they are chipping away at the things people liked the most ... and that is oh so disappointing!

When we sailed in October we had the complimentary PBP so weren't eligible to participate in the BOGO but enjoyed meeting and speaking with the multitude of folks who did participate. When we cruised this March we also had the complimentary PBP but there was no longer a BOGO and we didn't meet or interact with others much at all as the venues were deserted most of the time. It was disappointing. The bartenders and staff were definitely less busy and weren't happy about it. A full shift with nothing to do drags on and on and the tips just weren't there at all.

I wouldn’t necessarily call this a cutback. The BOGO was only around for a couple of years. There have been a variety of drink specials in the past and Princess will probably come up with something new in the future.

Drink specials at reduced prices have been gone for several years. The "Cocktail of the Day" in the Patter is now at the full regular price.