Why is Prinsendam bookings open much earlier than the other HAL ships bookings??

Hflors

Since I am looking to book a 2019 cruise to the Baltic. After May 2019 (with the exception of one Amsterdam cruise) the only thing showing is Prinsendam.... Why is this? Prinsendam is going where I want to go, it is just she is such a small ship I am a bit concerned. I really would like to do this cruise (the Baltics) on Rotterdam/ Amsterdam size. Would there be any advantages to doing it on Prinsendam? Would we feel the ocean more if we hit bad weather? Would we clear customs in St. Petersburg faster on Prinsendam? I also want to go either early in the season April/ may or late in the season Sept. and she only does one cruise in Sept.

I would appreciate any insights anyone has on Prinsendam.

I can't answer why the Prinsendam itineraries come out first.

I can say that should the Prinsendam hit rough seas you won't feel it anymore than on larger ships, and may feel it less. This ship was built to sail the 'high' seas, and she does that well. It has something to do with the shape of her hull.

You don't clear Customs in St. Petersburg; you clear Immigration. Last July the Prinsendam had its own terminal, with agents serving that ship only. Clearance was done off the ship, and was quick enough (considering we were in Russia, and their agents never move with any speed).

Prinsendam is a lovely, smaller, ship of a bygone era. She has an exceedingly attentive staff who will get to know you, and give service beyond what you know on other HAL ships.

Now, if the timing doesn't work for you, that's one thing. But have no concerns about taking the ship itself.

We had fourteen days on this ship (non suite experience) and felt service and food were standard issue Holland America. The ship carries a few hundred fewer passengers. Did not care for the chopped up physical plant but it has been remodeled since.

I can't answer why the Prinsendam itineraries come out first.

I can say that should the Prinsendam hit rough seas you won't feel it anymore than on larger ships, and may feel it less. This ship was built to sail the 'high' seas, and she does that well. It has something to do with the shape of her hull.

You don't clear Customs in St. Petersburg; you clear Immigration. Last July the Prinsendam had its own terminal, with agents serving that ship only. Clearance was done off the ship, and was quick enough (considering we were in Russia, and their agents never move with any speed).

Prinsendam is a lovely, smaller, ship of a bygone era. She has an exceedingly attentive staff who will get to know you, and give service beyond what you know on other HAL ships.

Now, if the timing doesn't work for you, that's one thing. But have no concerns about taking the ship itself.

My experience is the same as Ruth's.

I suspect P'dam's itineraries open early as they are unique and her fans book early. But, that is just a guess.

When I started our roll call a year + early for her, there were quickly others coming on saying they had booked ;)

So, we weren't alone ;)

Prinsendam's itineraries tend to be more specialized - hitting less-well frequented ports, usually on longer itineraries, and these require more advance planning, port arranging and re-supply arrangements. Then, her loyal fan base can be relied to fill her up at non-discounted fares, so HAL is happier with the longer booking period.

There's added 2019 itineraries now on their website, for namely Rotterdam & Nieuw Statendam in Northern Europe. For the rest of this region still awaiting Zuiderdam & Koningsdam.

Thank you tri****at - I just ck'ed out the Rotterdam's schedule. for 2019. One of the cruises I am checking is on her. Now waiting for Zuidersam.