Question for budget Queen Skagway

Sallyandtex

hi there!

Trying to pick best shore trips.

So far we have booked the Tracey Arm Ford and Galcial explorer trip into juneau.

For Skagway, I have read that you enjoyed the Chilkoot Trail Hike & Float trip better than the Haines Eagle Preserve float trip.

This Chilkoot one is rated as "strenous" but we are reasonably fit so wondering how strenous eg do we need to be seasoned hikers to enjoy it.

Do you have any other suggestions we might like for Skagway or Ketchikan? We like wildlife ! (Rather than quirky shops etc)

We are also visiting Canada and going to Emerald Lake on that trip, so wouldn't want to do the rail one or the one that goes to Emerald Lake.

thanks a lot!

Not the person you directed your questions to, but we did the Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float in May 2016 and it is not at all strenuous. We are in our mid-sixties and had no problem. There is a lot of up and down and there are some rocks and roots on the trail, so that is why it is labelled strenuous--I guess to forewarn anyone with mobility issues. If you are fit you will find it quite easy. It's also not that long--maybe 2 km? if I remember correctly. The float down the Taiya River was really nice, although quite cold when we were there. We saw many eagles and beautiful scenery. We booked it through Skagway Shore Tours, rather than through our ship. There were only 4 of us on our hike, so it was very personal.

In Skagway we rented a car and drove the route through the Youkon paralleling the train for most of the way. (Bring passports you go into Canada) The rental car company gave us a map and directions of the best places where they were currently seeing bears, salmon, and other wild life.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Not the person you directed your questions to, but we did the Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float in May 2016 and it is not at all strenuous. We are in our mid-sixties and had no problem. There is a lot of up and down and there are some rocks and roots on the trail, so that is why it is labelled strenuous--I guess to forewarn anyone with mobility issues. If you are fit you will find it quite easy. It's also not that long--maybe 2 km? if I remember correctly. The float down the Taiya River was really nice, although quite cold when we were there. We saw many eagles and beautiful scenery. We booked it through Skagway Shore Tours, rather than through our ship. There were only 4 of us on our hike, so it was very personal.

I'm contemplating an Alaska trip, not this year. For the Chilkoot Trail, would someone your age who is a moderately good hiker want a hiking stick? I have a collapsible one that will fit in a bag that can be checked on an airline.

In Ketchikan we've gone with Island Wings to Anan Creek to see bears. In August we'll be going with them for the 3rd time to see bears at Traitor's Cove. Excellent company - have loved our other excursion flightseeing Misty Fjords as well.

Thanks everyone.

Just regarding the bears, we will be there in Late May, I was reading somewhere the bears might not be around then?????

If not, we might do Misty Fords, if yes BEARS it is!

Thanks everyone.

Just regarding the bears, we will be there in Late May, I was reading somewhere the bears might not be around then?????

If not, we might do Misty Fords, if yes BEARS it is!

You are too early in late May for bears at Anan Creek. They don't run the excursion then. This usually starts sometime in July.

You may see bears elsewhere on the trip, if you are lucky.

I'm contemplating an Alaska trip, not this year. For the Chilkoot Trail, would someone your age who is a moderately good hiker want a hiking stick? I have a collapsible one that will fit in a bag that can be checked on an airline.
You won't need it, but if you like the feel of hiking with it, take it.