Getting the Most from Suite Experience - Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska

CruisinAway123

Hello Cruisers,

My parents have booked an aft wrap-around Neptune Suite for an Alaskan Cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer. They've only completed one prior cruise during which they stayed in a Verandah stateroom. Believing this will be a once-in-a-lifetime chance for them to cruise Alaska, they decided to splurge for the suite experience. :)

I'd appreciate tips from other cruisers who've sailed in this service class before. I'm trying to help ensure they don't only learn of the best "tips" after they've been on-board a few days when it might be too late to book something or they just have less time to enjoy it.

Thanks!

- Free laundry

- Never have to go to the front desk; Neptune Lounge concierge handles all of your concerns: dinner reservations, billing issues, etc.

- Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill

- Advance MDR menus, so you can decide if you want to go to a specialty restaurant instead

- Oodles of space and a larger balcony

There's more, but those are the big ones for me.

We had the Neptune aft wrap to go through the Panama Canal and can’t say enough about it. The space on the deck was incredible! Along with the above perks, we just loved the Neptune Lounge. It was so nice to go in and sit with a few snacks that were always fresh. And having the assist of the Neptune staff make making reservations so easy. They were able to book excursions without waiting in line, get the exact Pinnacle dinner reservations we wanted. We even got a private appointment with the Future Cruise Consultant off her hours so we wouldn’t have to wait outside her office for an appointment. And don’t forget the ability to have a quiet, relaxed breakfast in the Pinnacle. You can get used to the pampering very fast. We decided to splurge and do another Neptune for the 21 day Cuba and Caribbean in 2019

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had the Neptune aft wrap to go through the Panama Canal and can’t say enough about it. The space on the deck was incredible! Along with the above perks, we just loved the Neptune Lounge. It was so nice to go in and sit with a few snacks that were always fresh. And having the assist of the Neptune staff make making reservations so easy. They were able to book excursions without waiting in line, get the exact Pinnacle dinner reservations we wanted. We even got a private appointment with the Future Cruise Consultant off her hours so we wouldn’t have to wait outside her office for an appointment. And don’t forget the ability to have a quiet, relaxed breakfast in the Pinnacle. You can get used to the pampering very fast. We decided to splurge and do another Neptune for the 21 day Cuba and Caribbean in 2019

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my favorite things going through the Canal is going to breakfast that morning in the Pinnacle and watch the DR get darker and darker going through the locks. Also the Panama Canal Rolls served that day!:)

Our first trip on HAL was on Noordam, to Alaska, with an aft wrap around. Even with it being the end of May we were able to sit out on the balcony as we were protected from the wind most days. We did spend much time out there just watching every thing go by. Eating breakfast at the Pinnacle Grill

was one of the highlights.

It just seemed like a much more laid back experience than the Lido or MDR. We are sailing on MS Maasdam in April but she unfortunately she doesn't have them.

Tell your parents to go for it and enjoy!

The Neptune Lounge only has cold appetizers starting around 4 or 4:30. If you want hot appetizers, order them before Noon via the concierges and tell them what time you want them delivered to the cabin.

Also you can order afternoon tea -- again arrange through the concierges -- usually will be brought to your cabin around 3 PM or so.

Mimosa with room service breakfast , that can be had on the wonderful deck. We love the aft wrap NS! There usually a party in the NL on embarkation day, sort of a drop in to get familiarized . There is a great coffee machine in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The aft-wrap Neptunes are fantastic! Be sure to have at least one dinner on it (have the Neptune Staff make the arrangements for you). You can exchange the free bottle of "sparkling wine" you get in your cabin with the Neptune Staff for a bottle of house white or red wine (or something else).

Hope your parents thoroughly enjoy their Neptune Suite.

Remind them that Laundry and dry cleaning is included,

Breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill is a pleasant way to start each day........during our recent cruise, a couple arrived at breakfast a couple of weeks into the cruise, stating that they had just discovered that they could have breakfast in the PG.

My wife and I have sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam three times. On two of the sailings we occupied the Neptune Suites in the aft. We always try to book this location and you have to do it early, as they fill up fast. We are again going on the Nieuw Amsterdam, sailing in April through the Canal to Vancouver BC. Again we have an aft Nepture suite although it will be on deck 6.We also have another senior woman who will be occupying the cabin next to our suite. Although, not a Neptune suite it is very desirable for her as it has a connecting door so that she can join us in our suite without going out into the hallway. The only drawback to an aft cabin is going to the theater as you have to walk the entire length of the ship. But, it's also convenient for going to the dining room, as you only have to walk a short way to the elevators which will take you directly to the dining room. We are also booking a family cabana on the top deck. We have it reserved for the entire trip. If anyone wants information on the cabanas I would be happy to try and answer your question(s).

Your parents are going to have a great time!

Not to be repetitive, but also agree that these are our favorite Neptune Suite perks:

• Breakfast in the PG
  • Neptune lounge (snacks, coffee machine, wonderful concierges)
  • Free Laundry
  • Lots of room!

Your folks will have a bit of a hike to reach the lounge, particularly if they are on a different deck. However, I am sure they will enjoy all the suite amenities regardless. :)

A very small perk is a corsage/boutonniere on the first gala night. We forgot all about that our last cruise. While it wasn’t important to us, it might be to you. Also, I think there’s still a cocktail party with the ships officers....??? We haven’t been invited the last two times. In 1998 it was fabulous but if it exists now, it won’t be as great as that one. I think some get to go but I think it’s now only by invitation. Others may know for sure....??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the past five years in a Neptune Suite (aft wraps), we have ordered through the Neptune Lounge hot chicken wings and shrimp tempura skewers to be delivered every day at 3:00 PM. Three of the chicken wings were eaten when delivered and the other three went to the minibar in a Ziploc bag for a bedtime snack.

The Neptune Lounge has an appetizer list from which to order but you need to ask to see it. Although you will be told that chicken wings are not available, they seem to always be if you ask for them.

• 1 month later...

I can't say enough about the concierge, on our last cruise to Alaska in May, our reservation for the Pinnacle grill turned out to be during a storm and almost all of us that had that evening canceled due to sea sickness, me included. The next day I called the concierge (we were in a Neptune) and asked if there was room for another reservation and was told no because so many people had to rebook. I told her that was ok, but if anything opened up just to let us know. I forgot about it and the following day I got a call telling us that a slot had opened up. If it wasn't for the concierge, we wouldn't have been able to go at all. But instead we got to sit back, enjoy our day and she did all the work for us. We have cruised twice in a Neptune and we would rather cruise less often and get a suite.