A question from my son!

Tink78

Hi my 13 year old son Tom wants to know if you can arrange/book times on the climbing wall and flowrider? or do you arrive and wait in a queue? also how soon can you access these activities before you set sail

We will be sailing on the Indy this July

Becky

Hi Becky and Tom,

It is on a first-come, first-served basis. I think he will find that sea days have the longest lines, but you can check the printed Cruise Compass for times on these activities. Remember he has to wear socks and closed-toe shoes for the rock wall.

He'll have so much fun! You guys have a blast. :D

Hi Karen and thank you for your reply, I think he best be ready for long waiting times then as one rock climbing wall and one florider between thousands is gonna be tight!!

Becky

I recommend he try these activities on boarding day; it seems like early in the cruise lines are relatively short but the deeper into the cruise the longer the lines (as everybody is trying to fit it in before the cruise ends).

Yes but not everyone uses these activites. I am content to sit and watch people use them, so not everyone will participate. Tell him to check it out before you leave port on embarkation day, if they are open - that's when the lines are the lightest. :)

EDITED to add: Gonzo and I said the same thing! haha. It's true. Boarding day, shorter lines.

y I've never seen REALLY long lines for the rock wall. Just a few people normally.

Yes the Rock Climbing is never busy - I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually phased it out on some ships.

Flowrider is VERY popular and fun to watch! :D

Hi my 13 year old son Tom wants to know if you can arrange/book times on the climbing wall and flowrider? or do you arrive and wait in a queue? also how soon can you access these activities before you set sail

We will be sailing on the Indy this July

Becky

If he's going to be in the youth program for that age group, there are times reserved for the group at both the flowrider, the climbing wall, and the ice rink. Even if he's not formally in the program, the teen compass lists the special activities/times for teens to congregate and use the facilities.

Definitely have him hit the flowrider upon boarding...we carry suits in our carry on bags and do the waivers in advance. Then just stop at the window, get the wrist band and head to the flowrider. It's usually open around 1 PM. Last cruise, my son was one of only 4 people for the first hour, then another 2 arrived so there were only 6 total for the first 2 hours.

My other son loves the rock wall. We hit it every day, sometimes multiple times a day. There are times that there is a crowd (usually as you get further into the cruise and people want to check it out) but there are often 4 lines running at any time, so you don't have a long wait.

You must have socks on, they will provide the climbing shoes. If you don't have sock, either he'll have to leave and get them, or buy a pair at the desk.

Hi, not sure if it's the norm but we were on indy last year & the flowrider was definitely not open on the first day. We went up to have a look & although it was a niceday (for Southampton) there was no sign of anyone. Just presumed they dont open it due to not being able to rely on the weather.

On Freedom this fall, flowrider not open on embarkation , but in August it was..

My 3 kids and hubbie booked a private lesson on day 1 or 2 and it was AMAZING. 60 dollars per person, no more than 6 in a group and the entire FloRider was used. It was not divided down the middle.

Even tough they knew how to use it on our second Freedom cruise, they took the private lesson and they were the only 4. It was excellent both times.

We booked it ahead online.

Well worth the money.

Kids are 13 13 and 11

Definitely have him hit the flowrider upon boarding...we carry suits in our carry on bags and do the waivers in advance. Then just stop at the window, get the wrist band and head to the flowrider. It's usually open around 1 PM. Last cruise, my son was one of only 4 people for the first hour, then another 2 arrived so there were only 6 total for the first 2 hours.

My other son loves the rock wall. We hit it every day, sometimes multiple times a day. There are times that there is a crowd (usually as you get further into the cruise and people want to check it out) but there are often 4 lines running at any time, so you don't have a long wait.

You must have socks on, they will provide the climbing shoes. If you don't have sock, either he'll have to leave and get them, or buy a pair at the desk.

What are the hours for the climbing wall?

Yes the Rock Climbing is never busy - I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually phased it out on some ships.

Flowrider is VERY popular and fun to watch! :D

We could see the Rock Climbing from our Boardwalk Balcony on Oasis and it was not used much at all.

LuLu

~~~~

On Indy out of Ft Lauderdale they will open the Flowrider on embarkation day at 2:30pm as long as it's above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. They won't run it if no one is there, so you have to ask at the booth.

We could see the Rock Climbing from our Boardwalk Balcony on Oasis and it was not used much at all.

LuLu

~~~~

I guess it depends on when the cruise is. We did Oasis last month (spring break time) and it was used non-stop. There was always a line, even if it wasn't always long (though oftentimes it was). I found best was to go when it first opened (at 9am) on sea days.

Archived