I downgraded and booked a Guarantee Balcony

dsvd79

I am sailing on Adventure of the Seas in April. I noticed that there was a great deal on a guarantee balcony. If we went with this it would be $800 less than the balcony we already reserved. I thought it was worth saving the money and taking a risk. Plus we got $100 onboard credit- reality $900 savings.

Was it worth it? Or do you think I should have stuck with our balcony?

I am sailing on Adventure of the Seas in April. I noticed that there was a great deal on a guarantee balcony. If we went with this it would be $800 less than the balcony we already reserved. I thought it was worth saving the money and taking a risk. Plus we got $100 onboard credit- reality $900 savings.

We have done that before for the savings when we had a balcony and a guarantee balcony became available for a LOT less. Same ship, same stateroom, same food, same amenities. We didn't regret it.

That would have been well worth it for me.

I've done this many times, and for a lot less "cash back". The only time I don't do it is if I've chosen a specific cabin, for a specific reason (aft/to be near friends, etc). But most of the time, I don't really care where my cabin is, as long as I'm not at my desk...

When people cancel bookings to get a better deal for a sale that's come up, do you lose the deposit or is it credited to the new cruise? I guess if you are not at final payment stage its no loss of money?

If one booked under US/Canadian rules, and has opted for a refundable deposit, then they would get a full refund if they cancel before final payment date.

When people cancel bookings to get a better deal for a sale that's come up, do you lose the deposit or is it credited to the new cruise?

Under US booking rules, folks don't cancel for a price drop - the existing reservation is used and price is adjusted accordingly with all previously paid deposit credited on the updated booking.

Clarea. I was just talking to a TA about booking a Dec. cruise in 2018. She told me there is a new rule. You lose the $400pp deposit if you change your mind. Plus there is a $100 fee pp to change ships or dates. Have you heard of this?

Clarea. I was just talking to a TA about booking a Dec. cruise in 2018. She told me there is a new rule. You lose the $400pp deposit if you change your mind. Plus there is a $100 fee pp to change ships or dates. Have you heard of this?

If you are booking a Grand Suite or better, deposits are now non-refundable, and there's a $100pp fee to cahnge ship or sail date.

If you are booking a Junior Suite or less, you have a choice of refundable or non-refundable deposit. If you choose non-refundable, the terms are as stated above. If you choose refundable, the cruise price will be higher, and the terms will be as thay have been, no change fees, full refund before final payment date.

I would have taken the guarantee as well.

Doing forget that once your cabin is assigned you can change to any other available cabin in the exact same category.

Is this true? I thought once we get our cabin assigned from a guarantee we’re stuck with that? We can request to change within our category?

Well worth it Dan!

Enjoy the cruise!

Is this true? I thought once we get our cabin assigned from a guarantee we’re stuck with that? We can request to change within our category?

Yes, if you are booked under US/Canadian rules.

Check to make sure there are no balcony cabins with which you would not be happy.

We had a balcony, then did this, booking a balcony guarantee. We were surprised when we were assigned an obstructed view balcony. We had a lifeboat right in front of our balcony. We didn't know that such a thing (balcony fully obstructed) existed, but it does.

In our case, we wish we would have stayed with the original assigned balcony cabin. We're not picky about where it is on the ship, we just got stuck with a view of a lifeboat for the entire cruise.

So check to see what the very lowest cabin available might be. If that is OK with you, go for it. But beware if there are obstructed view balconies on the ship.