Sun vs. Sky Questions

Which ship is better for a weekend cruise? We like the Free Bar concept. Is this a party ship with 20 somethings on it? Are there any older folks? Say 50 or so? How about kids lots or hardly any? Which ship has more bars/entertainment on it? We'd like to go on a newerish ship if possible of the two.

Either is fine. We prefer the Sun, but dislike Port Canaveral. The ships have a “restrainted party” atmosphere. NOT like a college party, but a lively atmosphere. I would say the mean age is around 45. Lots of 50ish older folks. Fewer young kids than other Caribbean cruises.

We (who are in the older older folks category) usually take a weekend Sky cruise every year or two. Our dailies from a weekend cruise last year are at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539744

We did the Sky last November and we are doing the Sun next weekend. We chose the Sun this time because it is an hour less of a drive for us but we like Port Canaveral, easy in and easy out. The atmosphere on the ship was nice, I too was afraid it was going to be like a college frat party but it wasn’t at all. It was fun and lively but it wasn’t a drunk fest. The age range of the passengers was wide, and it was many Floridians. And everyone was very friendly, we chatted with a lot more people on this cruise than most of our prior cruises. We are in our 50’s but saw people of all ages. There were a couple kids on board but not too many and they were busy doing kid things (basketball, kids club etc). For the price of those cruises you can’t beat it, give it a try.

Which ship is better for a weekend cruise? We like the Free Bar concept. Is this a party ship with 20 somethings on it? Are there any older folks? Say 50 or so? How about kids lots or hardly any? Which ship has more bars/entertainment on it? We'd like to go on a newerish ship if possible of the two.

the sky and sun are the same class ship.

the sky was last refrub in 2013.

the sun this year. :o

for me, it's about the secondary port on the 4day Cuba cruise.

ive been to gsc many times but never been to key west, so Sun it will be.

(as soon as another solo discount comes out for it.)

They are very similar except Sun has awesome mini-suites. .

Thinking of booking a mini suite on the Sun. Please give me all the awesome details and what would the difference be in a aft mini and a regular mini. Thanks:)

Thinking of booking a mini suite on the Sun. Please give me all the awesome details and what would the difference be in a aft mini and a regular mini. Thanks:)

Even the front minis are nice on Sun - they are in front of the spa area.

The aft minis are quite nice - order would be 9, 10, or 8 last.

Good size room, separate walk in closet with sitting area then bathroom.

You could consider them both sister ships with only a couple of subtle differences. Have been on both numerous times and was on the Sky most recently May 14-18 with my college-aged frat boy and his friend, who is president of fraternity.

I'm 52. My husband is 58. We all were very happy with the Sky.