Norwegian Star / Forward or Aft Facing Penthouse Balcony?

JStaud

Apologies ahead of time if this has been covered before, 1st time cruiser, new to this board.

Looking at a Penthouse balcony for an upcoming cruise on the Star, and curious your opinions of pros/cons , Forward facing, or aft facing.

Thanks for your thoughts...

never had a aft cabin but able to comment on a forward cabin.

friends invited us to view the Panama canal from Suite 9000.

The suite was lovely but the balcony was awesome. just made our day

Thanks for the info... on the forward cabin, experience any issues with the weather/wind coming at you on the balcony?

Thanks for the info... on the forward cabin, experience any issues with the weather/wind coming at you on the balcony?

only one day just after Columbia, 45 knots an hour and 14 ft swells, too windy to sit by the pool and too rough to walk around

crew placed barf begs outside of all eating venues

Planning next cruise to Alaska in July of 2019, will definitely bid for a Penthouse Suite on the bow

it is an awesome room

Apologies ahead of time if this has been covered before, 1st time cruiser, new to this board.

Looking at a Penthouse balcony for an upcoming cruise on the Star, and curious your opinions of pros/cons , Forward facing, or aft facing.

OP: Welcome to cruising and to Cruise Critic!

We've done both on NCL ships (not the Star, though). It's relaxing to look at the wake, but overall I think I prefer to see where the ship is going, not where it's been. I think the decision would also turn on the itinerary.

We chose a forward-facing penthouse on the Jewel for a full transit last year of the Panama Canal. This was our "dream cabin" for the Canal, and it did not disappoint. Not that you should stay in any one spot for the transit itself, but it was great not to have to fight the crowds in the bow for the view of the first locks. And the balcony was a great place to relax on sea days; I spent hours one day just watching boobies fly around and perch on the ship.

We were not bothered by wind when sitting down when the ship was underway. Another big plus of the forward-facing staterooms (and one that is not mentioned much) is the night sky -- there are NO lights in the bow, and so you have a great view of the stars. We even saw the Southern Cross before dawn in the two mornings before we reached the Canal. Just awesome.

enhance

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

We love forward facing rooms and get them whenever we can.

Since there is a solid hull along the front, if you sit at the rail or step back 1 or 2 steps, the wind from the forward motion sweeps over your head. The 270 degree views are spectacular.

Enjoy!

Alaska and cruising up the St Lawrence

359313f4553916b5ea25c3d379c270e1.jpg

9ba5fc5c081f4b1b04fcf83157c2b322.jpg

af5abbc656c47afbdf57b56c66ebf31e.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

We were in the forward penthouse on the Star in 2013 and have had an aft balcony. The forward penthouse was a great cabin. We were on the 10th or 11th floor and had to keep the curtains drawn at night because the lights are distracting for the bridge. The ceiling panels shifted every time the balcony door was opened and didn't always settle back in place correctly. Neither was a big deal, but a little odd. The aft view was wonderful- very peaceful. I personally enjoyed seeing where we were going so the forward would be my choice.

Make sure and ask your butler to arrange a sail away party. We did that for Cozumel and it was a fun little extra.

We were in the forward penthouse on the Star in 2013 and have had an aft balcony. The forward penthouse was a great cabin. We were on the 10th or 11th floor and had to keep the curtains drawn at night because the lights are distracting for the bridge. The ceiling panels shifted every time the balcony door was opened and didn't always settle back in place correctly. Neither was a big deal, but a little odd. The aft view was wonderful- very peaceful. I personally enjoyed seeing where we were going so the forward would be my choice.

Make sure and ask your butler to arrange a sail away party. We did that for Cozumel and it was a fun little extra.

11 forward would be the bridge. The forward suites on Star are on 9 or 10.

Welcome to CC.

You don't want 8 aft as it is above a lounge and people report noise. Also a gamble for those with the bid process getting an 8 aft on Star/Dawn.

• 3 months later...
We stayed in 9732 and it was by far the best Penthouse Suite aft cabin. The balcony curves around and though you can only stand on the aft side of the ship there is plenty of room on the aft balcony portion. We loved this aft penthouse balcony. We even saw whales!

We recently booked this cabin for our Panama Canal cruise. Although the balconies on the 10th floor are larger - we purposely chose this cabin for the wrap around section to give us a side view when going through the canal.

I have since read on another thread that the side view is partially obstructed by window washing equipment. Was this true for your cruise?

Now I’m thinking maybe I should move to the 10th floor?? There are still cabins available on the 10th floor.

Your thoughts would be invaluable!

No obstruction except it is skinny. You can sit a regular chair sideways if you want. My DSD and I used it mostly for picture taking and chasing whale sightings. My DH just sat on the lounger laughing at us. I really loved the ability to have the aft and port viewing. The Jade was obstructed :(

We had a forward suite during our partial transit through the Panama Canal on Deck 10 on the Pearl. Great balcony for going through the canal but I was not happy with it otherwise.

**The door to get to the balcony was heavy and noisy. I am an early riser and like to sit on the balcony and read before my husband wakes. Every time I tried to go out there I would wake him up. It was very hard to open especially at sea.

**The wind was also a factor when we were at sea. Sitting was fine, but standing - it was too windy for my tastes.

**Also did not like that we had to have our curtains shut a night due to the lights affecting the bridge right above us. I like to have the curtains open all the time. Especially love waking to the sunrise through the windows.

We are doing a full transit of the canal in January and this time I booked an Aft suite...want a different view and the ability to use the balcony more.

But as in any cabin on any ship...they are all good when you are cruising!

The forward facing SE suites are our favorite room on the ship. Simply beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just in Aft penthouse 10726. On the maps it shows a side wrap. This is a service area. You can't get to it, but the perk is no neighbors on that side. The balcony is a decent size just narrows slightly on the right side. No equipment blocking views or anything. The suite to the left appeared to have a very slightly larger balcony. It has two loungers, two chairs, and a small table. It is in the shade sometimes and full sun sometimes, depending on which way the ship is facing. Chair pads got soaked one sunny day in port - probably from windows above being washed - and it took 2 days for them to dry. Maybe bring them inside the suite if you are not using them to keep them dry.

The room is a nice size, lots of closet and drawer space and very quiet. No noise concerns at all. It is tucked back in a corner. If you book this suite watch out for the crazy balcony door. Every when open 2 feet wide, it would spontaneously slam shut on its own and lock itself, while we were outside on the balcony. We got locked out twice and it was not a pleasant experience having to yell for neighbors' help very early in the morning.

I would book this cabin again.