Is it true? Cheers drink package not activated Day 1 of Horizon cruise???

I sailed out of NY on Norwegian last year, and their unlimited program was activated like an hour or 2 after sailing out of the port.

We sailed out of Bayonne with RCCl and had the unlimtied on the first day.

We can. 3 cruises without a drop of alcohol. We might have 10 drinks a year. MIGHT. Alcohol is not important to us. Kinda outgrew it. Sure did our share many years ago.

Same here! I might have had one mixed drink on the cruises I've been on in the past 5 years. Have no reason/desire to drink anymore. Just not my thing. ;)

We sailed out of Bayonne with RCCl and had the unlimtied on the first day.

I can't imagine why New York State laws on unlimited drink packages would not apply to your cruise from Bayonne. It's almost like Bayonne is not even in New York or something.

But Bayonne is NEAR New York... should count right?

For Norwegian sailings, the drink packages are usually a perk and included whereas Cheers is a per day paid, if you are paying for a full day but have to wait till international waters to use the package that you paid for, that would definitely cause some griping. So they activate it on the first full day (from NY or Texas).

You wouldn’t really have enough time to get your moneys worth on the first day. Half the day is gone by the time you’re boarded and at a bar for a drink. And it takes like 6-7 drinks to break even. So it’s to your advantage to just start the Cheers program on day two. Have fun on the Horizon. It’s on my bucket list. :)
Yes, half the day is gone on day one, but if you board at noon and go to bed at midnight, that gives you 12 hours of possible drinking. If you are the lightest of light weights and drink 1 every 2 hours, you have consumed 6 drinks. Most people do not drink much alcohol in the morning anyway, except for the mimosa and bloody Mary crowd. Beers and frozen foo foo drinks usually start going down around noon time, but of course there are exceptions to this rule.

It is not to my advantage to start Cheers on day two because the excitement of starting my vacation will make me want to drink and not having a drinks package will make me resort to my alligator arms that I had for years before drink packages started. I hate the fact that it starts on day two. Luckily my next three cruises are embarking from FLA so I don't have to put up with the NY first day nonsense.

Me too...drank a few years in my early 20's..quickly out grew that and really have no taste or desire for alcohol.

If I drink 3 drinks in a year...that's a lot.

Same here! I might have had one mixed drink on the cruises I've been on in the past 5 years. Have no reason/desire to drink anymore. Just not my thing. ;)
Teetotalers United. Why do non drinkers feel the need to permeate drinking threads? :confused:

I can't imagine why New York State laws on unlimited drink packages would not apply to your cruise from Bayonne. It's almost like Bayonne is not even in New York or something.
Didn't you hear Rob.....Bayonne seceded from New Jersey and is now a territorial city of the state of New York.

You wouldn’t really have enough time to get your moneys worth on the first day. Half the day is gone by the time you’re boarded and at a bar for a drink. And it takes like 6-7 drinks to break even. So it’s to your advantage to just start the Cheers program on day two. Have fun on the Horizon. It’s on my bucket list. :)

What? I am usually having a drink by noon, no different than any other day.

I don't get why it's a "state law" thing for Carnival and not NCL. As others have stated, a drink package was good from the minute you board an NCL ship in NYC. (you do pay tax on drinks while in port)

There's got to be more to this.

Horizon is a fabulous ship.

I don't get why it's a "state law" thing for Carnival and not NCL. As others have stated, a drink package was good from the minute you board an NCL ship in NYC. (you do pay tax on drinks while in port)

There's got to be more to this.

Horizon is a fabulous ship.

I’ve heard that Carnival is not willing to risk penalty using the loophole that NCL does. NCL did have us pay tax on all drinks while in NY port. Carnival just thinks it is easier to start it the next day.

We just got off the Horizon with the drink package and our first night we had a $99 Bar bill, trying to be very conservative on ordering drinks until day two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk