New to Oceania and First time cruising into Rome

newtoit

First time on Oceania (Riviera) and first time cruising into Rome for the day. Will there be shuttles (free or otherwise) to take us into Rome from the port ? Not interested in organized excursions just getting into Rome and back to the ship after doing our own thing.

Thanks for any tips.

Newtoit, your best bet will be the ship's DIY tour. Roman traffic is terrible, and the ship will wait for a delayed bus. We know Rome really well, and use that tour when we visit. Our goal is to shop for special items and eat in favorite local restaurants. Too bad our favorite Roman place was sold to new owners who ruined it. We found substitutes on our last land trip there. Oh, make sure you meet that bus. Get the address in writing before you walk off. You can show it to a cab driver if you need it to get back to the bus.

Mary

Private car is best bet. Train is possible but is often crowded, read you have to stand. Trip is well over an hour.
Take the train, but book a Frecciabianca First Class in advance for which you will have a reserved seat. An advance purchase one way Super Economy First Class ticket is 9.90 €. Frecciabianca trains depart Civitavecchia at 9:15 and 11:15. I have booked the 9:15 AM a couple times for 8:00 AM port calls and have had no problems easily making the train walking to the train station, the last time was last month with luggage. If you are returning to the ship, then return trains from Roma Termini depart at 16:57 and 18:27. The Frecciabianca high speed trains take 47 minutes. Here is a link to Trenitalia's web site. When searching, click the Frecca box at the upper left top of the search results to only show the Frecciabianca trains.

Going in the reverse direction, we'll be in Rome for several days pre-cruise. We'll need to get to the port. I thought about hiring a guide that morning to take us to sites along the way to the ship. Figure it wouldn't be much more than a taxi. Is this a doable plan?

Take the train, but book a Frecciabianca First Class in advance for which you will have a reserved seat. An advance purchase one way Super Economy First Class ticket is 9.90 €. Frecciabianca trains depart Civitavecchia at 9:15 and 11:15. I have booked the 9:15 AM a couple times for 8:00 AM port calls and have had no problems easily making the train walking to the train station, the last time was last month with luggage. If you are returning to the ship, then return trains from Roma Termini depart at 16:57 and 18:27. The Frecciabianca high speed trains take 47 minutes. Here is a link to Trenitalia's web site. When searching, click the Frecca box at the upper left top of the search results to only show the Frecciabianca trains.

Great advice, with specifics. We have been to Rome several times and the train is the best way to go on your own. Try the Amorino gelato.

Going in the reverse direction, we'll be in Rome for several days pre-cruise. We'll need to get to the port. I thought about hiring a guide that morning to take us to sites along the way to the ship. Figure it wouldn't be much more than a taxi. Is this a doable plan?

I'd check prices both ways. Those "sites" along the way might just make it fairly expensive, especially if you are wanting to stop and go in them.

Check out Rome Cabs for transfer to/from/airport/port/Rome.

But doing a day trip from the port, I think the most reasonable way is on the train--unless it is on strike--then you will have to find another way.

If you want to tour the city, use a private tour company such as Rome Cabs. They will pick up and drop off at the ship, inside the gates. Disembark, get in the car and go... it is amazing what they can show you in a day. Many years ago Rome Cabs toured our family, including a couple first timers. We covered so much territory, way more than a DIY day ever could.

We saw ancient Rome in the am, followed by the Vatican and other sites in the afternoon.

Train on your own is perfect to concentrate on the Vatican. I’ve been there many times and never get bored. Rick Steves cruise guide to the Med has an excellent plan on how and what to do. Pre purchase Vatican museum tickets.

We had a bad experience last year embarking in Rome. We took a private cab which was about $60 or so, but he wouldn't drop us at the ship. He would only drop us in this gated field and we had to wait 45 minutes or more for a bus to take us to the ship.

We are once again going to Rome prior to a cruise, but I am trying very hard not to have this happen again and would like to be dropped at the ship. If anyone has any advice, I would be thrilled.

Hi C,

>We are once again going to Rome prior to a cruise, but I am trying very hard not to have this happen again and would like to be dropped at the ship. If anyone has any advice, I would be thrilled.

IIRC, taxis can't go inside the gates of the port. You have to take one of the shuttles to the ship.

Ira

Hi C,

>We are once again going to Rome prior to a cruise, but I am trying very hard not to have this happen again and would like to be dropped at the ship. If anyone has any advice, I would be thrilled.

IIRC, taxis can't go inside the gates of the port. You have to take one of the shuttles to the ship.

Ira

We have always been dropped at the ship using a pre booked transfer. I think "normal" taxis may not be allowed into the port as they have not got the correct paperwork (or paid!)

We have used Rome Chauffeur many times & always good service http://www.rome-chauffeur.com

The port entrance has moved in recent years further away from the town centre. Where the shuttle drops you now there are a number of people offering tours and buses offering a transfer into Rome & back. If you google bus on your own to Rome there are many options.

We had a bad experience last year embarking in Rome. We took a private cab which was about $60 or so, but he wouldn't drop us at the ship. He would only drop us in this gated field and we had to wait 45 minutes or more for a bus to take us to the ship.

We are once again going to Rome prior to a cruise, but I am trying very hard not to have this happen again and would like to be dropped at the ship. If anyone has any advice, I would be thrilled.

Hi! Not all taxis pay for a special license to enter the port (annual fees are very high). There are some private companies that refer you to taxis which have this license. www.romelimousines.com/ (bobs limousine service) offer this service and we have used it from/to the ship and airport at least over 3 times.

We used Romeinlimo for a private tour (shared with another couple). He picked us up alongside the ship and delivered us back there at the end of the day. We were able to tailor the day to our desires. Got so much done, with no headaches.