dawn in san juan

markf

If it starts in San Juan, they use the Pan American docks across the harbor, not the one near the Sheraton. The one in Old San Juan near the Sheraton is almost always used exclusively by cruise ships stopping in SJ for the port day or any Carnival ships.

If it starts in San Juan, they use the Pan American docks across the harbor, not the one near the Sheraton. The one in Old San Juan near the Sheraton is almost always used exclusively by cruise ships stopping in SJ for the port day or any Carnival ships.

Graphic LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/@18.4615255,-66.1031326,1899m/data=!3m1!1e3

Zoom the map in or out for reference and more or less detail

Muelle 4 is the downtown port/pier used by Carnival

In the right center section of the image is a cruise ship that is the usual NCL pier.

very interesting. Even our TA, who is thought to be one of the best doesn't know this I am assuming. She helped us find a hotel for our pre cruise and mentioned it is only a few blocks from the port. It is in Old Town. It makes no difference to us, but still good information.

We have embarked and disembarked at the pier in Old Town before, but it was on a small ship. There is check in space, but I don't know if there is enough to accommodate the Dawn.

I mentioned this in another thread and I'll say it again here.

We were on the Dawn when it sailed out of San Juan last November. Our PCC, who is very good/reliable, sent us information saying we were leaving from Old San Juan. I mentioned this several places and people told me I was wrong. Guess what? I was. It later changed to Pan American.

We are sailing out of San Juan on the Dawn this year. We expect to use the Pan American pier. Do not book a hotel in Old San Juan expecting to walk to the ship. Yes, it could actually sail from there, but past history says that only Carnival does, while the other lines use Pan American.

Being a local in Puerto Rico maybe I can shed some light on this. There are three docks that are capable of being used for embarkation in San Juan: Pier 1 is the oldest and smallest in Old San Juan and, as a reference, is the one to the leff-most part of the waterfront in a Google maps picture. It is usually used by Viking and Regent cruises when they are using SJ as a home port seasonally. Pier 2 is exclusively used by the ferry that gets you to the other side ou'd the bay to Cataño. This is the one you take to go to the Bacardi rum factory. Pier 3 is just a long, uncovered, simple pier used for ships calling in San Juan. Pier 4 is under contract for use by Carnival. Carnival cruises originating in San Juan embark there and 90% of calls by Carnival ships are docked there as well. The Sheraton Old San Juan is located just across the street to Pier 3.

The other passenger dock is on the eastern side of the bay at the Pan American pier. To my knowledge all companies not called Viking, Regent or Carnival use this pier for embarkation. It has been used a handfull of times by ships calling San Juan but it was a couple of years ago when we had a few instances of having over 6 ships calling OSJ at the dame time!!

There is another Sheraton besides the Convention Center (hence the name of the hotel) but it's really not walkable to/ from the ship. The Pan Am pier is used for embarkation by Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Norwegian cruises. This is where you also take the Ro-ro ferry to the Dominican Republic.

So yes, there is, technically, a Sheraton hotel across from both piers. Its just that one is much more farther "across" than the other. ;)

Being a local in Puerto Rico maybe I can shed some light on this. There are three docks that are capable of being used for embarkation in San Juan: Pier 1 is the oldest and smallest in Old San Juan and, as a reference, is the one to the leff-most part of the waterfront in a Google maps picture. It is usually used by Viking and Regent cruises when they are using SJ as a home port seasonally. Pier 2 is exclusively used by the ferry that gets you to the other side ou'd the bay to Cataño. This is the one you take to go to the Bacardi rum factory. Pier 3 is just a long, uncovered, simple pier used for ships calling in San Juan. Pier 4 is under contract for use by Carnival. Carnival cruises originating in San Juan embark there and 90% of calls by Carnival ships are docked there as well. The Sheraton Old San Juan is located just across the street to Pier 3.

The other passenger dock is on the eastern side of the bay at the Pan American pier. To my knowledge all companies not called Viking, Regent or Carnival use this pier for embarkation. It has been used a handfull of times by ships calling San Juan but it was a couple of years ago when we had a few instances of having over 6 ships calling OSJ at the dame time!!

There is another Sheraton besides the Convention Center (hence the name of the hotel) but it's really not walkable to/ from the ship. The Pan Am pier is used for embarkation by Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Norwegian cruises. This is where you also take the Ro-ro ferry to the Dominican Republic.

So yes, there is, technically, a Sheraton hotel across from both piers. Its just that one is much more farther "across" than the other. ;)

How far in a cab,would it be from a hotel In Old SAN Juan (we’re staying at the Decanter) to the Pan Am pier? Any idea of cab cost?

How far in a cab,would it be from a hotel In Old SAN Juan (we’re staying at the Decanter) to the Pan Am pier? Any idea of cab cost?

Out should be around 10 minutes max from your hotel to the Pan Am pier. If traffic within OSJ gets heavy it could take a few minutes longer. Rate is fixed for taxis and should be $12 one way for up to 5 persons (not PER person) plus $1 extra per suitcase.

Out should be around 10 minutes max from your hotel to the Pan Am pier. If traffic within OSJ gets heavy it could take a few minutes longer. Rate is fixed for taxis and should be $12 one way for up to 5 persons (not PER person) plus $1 extra per suitcase.

Thanks!

Thanks, that is very helpful.