Our Alaskan Adventure - Review of our June 22 2018 Radiance Southbound Cruise

Thank you so much for this review! My brother and I are taking my elderly parents on the same cruise in late August. We're doing a slightly different pre-cruise landtour, but it's mostly just the order of things I think? So it was good to read about what to expect. Especially the advice about snacks and packing. I had no idea that we'd be living out of one suitcase (or, really, that that is the best way to work it). We do fly into Anchorage a day early because we don't arrive there until after midnight and I figured there was no way I was going to subject any of us to such a long travel day and then immediately get up and catch the train.

I just have one question, as I said my parents are elderly (84 and 87), but in pretty good shape. I tried to book things that didn't require hiking, but it does sound like the days were very long. Is there enough 'rest' time built in to the tour? Even if it's just on the bus getting to and from places?

Thanks for your help and all the great info!

Thank you so much for this review! My brother and I are taking my elderly parents on the same cruise in late August. We're doing a slightly different pre-cruise landtour, but it's mostly just the order of things I think? So it was good to read about what to expect. Especially the advice about snacks and packing. I had no idea that we'd be living out of one suitcase (or, really, that that is the best way to work it). We do fly into Anchorage a day early because we don't arrive there until after midnight and I figured there was no way I was going to subject any of us to such a long travel day and then immediately get up and catch the train.

I just have one question, as I said my parents are elderly (84 and 87), but in pretty good shape. I tried to book things that didn't require hiking, but it does sound like the days were very long. Is there enough 'rest' time built in to the tour? Even if it's just on the bus getting to and from places?

Thanks for your help and all the great info!

First, living out of a suitcase. Technically, my wife lived out of her suitcase, I lived out of mine, and my son lived out of his. So, it was not just one suitcase for all of us :D But, if we had known in advance, we might have been able to only use two suitcases instead of three (i.e., consolidate my son and mine into one - not sure my wife could ever give up her one, very large suitcase).

Second, there is plenty of rest time built into the tour - at least there was on ours. Our tour had a lot of traveling between places - 5 hours on bus to Denali, 4 hours on train to Talkeetna, 2 hours back to Anchorage. It is early mornings. Most evenings you are free to do what you want, and I think we were at our hotel by 5pm or so each night, so the evenings were not too late. We did excursion one night, which made that a later night, and one night we needed to attach cruise luggage tags and figure out which bags we wanted to carry on and which ones get sent to ship. So, we were up a little later moving things around. But bottom line, I think your parents will be fine. No worries.

As other's have said THANK YOU so very much for your review! We did a similar tour and then the same southbound cruise on the Radiance also back in August of 2017. We did the DogGoneIt tour and that was a favorite! I have enjoyed reading this and reliving our trip! Thanks again!

As other's have said THANK YOU so very much for your review! We did a similar tour and then the same southbound cruise on the Radiance also back in August of 2017. We did the DogGoneIt tour and that was a favorite! I have enjoyed reading this and reliving our trip! Thanks again!

You are welcome! My wife is already talking about a return trip. It was truly a magnificent trip. I am glad I could bring back some fond memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this review! Do you know about how much your flights were? We have a trip planned for June 2019 from Tampa and the prices for flights right now are very expensive! I'm hoping prices will come down, but I'm not sure what a "good" price is.

Thanks for this review! Do you know about how much your flights were? We have a trip planned for June 2019 from Tampa and the prices for flights right now are very expensive! I'm hoping prices will come down, but I'm not sure what a "good" price is.

Yes. Flights were insane for us too. I priced out flights from PBI, FLL, MIA, and MCO - and we ended booking flights from Orlando. I think they came in around $1,800 for three of us (and that was Delta in economy). But the flights from down here were running $600-$800 more, so it was worth it for us to go up and stay over one night before we flew. Also, Delta had the best times and connections.

Hi!

We went to Alaska in August of 2017. My husband got a credit card ( I believe it was thru capital one) or it was an Airline one (we flew United) He used it for everything we did. Gas, groceries, bills and would pay it down at end of month. He was able to get enough points that his round trip fare was paid and one way of mine. We flew out of Knoxville since we live in TN but it would have been about $1800 from there for us.

Just a suggestion.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Yes. Flights were insane for us too. I priced out flights from PBI, FLL, MIA, and MCO - and we ended booking flights from Orlando. I think they came in around $1,800 for three of us (and that was Delta in economy). But the flights from down here were running $600-$800 more, so it was worth it for us to go up and stay over one night before we flew. Also, Delta had the best times and connections.

Thx for posting the prices - I'm assuming those were roundtrip? We're flying from Tampa next June too - but we only need flights for the one way home from Anchorage. Best flight times I've seen are Delta and right now its around 300/pp for the one way. Was hoping it was going to get better then that but maybe not.

Thx for posting the prices - I'm assuming those were roundtrip? We're flying from Tampa next June too - but we only need flights for the one way home from Anchorage. Best flight times I've seen are Delta and right now its around 300/pp for the one way. Was hoping it was going to get better then that but maybe not.

Yes. They were sort of round trip - one way from MCO to Anchorage for three people, and one way from Vancouver to MCO for three people. [emoji16]

• 4 weeks later...

I loved your review - thank you for sharing!!

We had a cruise booked with Princess for 2019 but have had to cancel due to my husband getting a new job. we are planning to re-book for 2020. Think we are going to rebook with Royal as I think they have better activities for chn. our son will be 7 in 2020.

Did you see any orca on your whale tour? or brown bears along your journey?

The dog sled tour looked amazing. We are looking at the float plane tour to go bear watching!

Love that your son enjoyed kids club so much!!

I loved your review - thank you for sharing!!

We had a cruise booked with Princess for 2019 but have had to cancel due to my husband getting a new job. we are planning to re-book for 2020. Think we are going to rebook with Royal as I think they have better activities for chn. our son will be 7 in 2020.

Did you see any orca on your whale tour? or brown bears along your journey?

The dog sled tour looked amazing. We are looking at the float plane tour to go bear watching!

Love that your son enjoyed kids club so much!!

Hi there. Thanks for reading!

We did not see any Orca, but I think people who took the whale watching from Juneau did - but it is really hit and miss. We met people who saw breaching - we did not. On the other hand, people on our cruise went out on land tour in Icy Strait Point and saw bears. I wanted to take flight tour to see bears, but it was not offered when we sailed - they start running those tours when the salmon are running - we were a week or two too early.

PS: with Royal, book your cruise as soon as dates are released - that is when you get best rates! Also, if you are not doing land tour and are OK with round trip from Seattle, Royal has Ovation coming and NCL has Bliss. Both ships have a ton more to do than Radiance; however, we loved Radiance so do not want to disparage it. Either way, you will have an amazing cruise - Alaska is so incredible. We may even see you. We are looking to see how quickly we can afford to go back!

Hi there. Thanks for reading!

We did not see any Orca, but I think people who took the whale watching from Juneau did - but it is really hit and miss. We met people who saw breaching - we did not. On the other hand, people on our cruise went out on land tour in Icy Strait Point and saw bears. I wanted to take flight tour to see bears, but it was not offered when we sailed - they start running those tours when the salmon are running - we were a week or two too early.

PS: with Royal, book your cruise as soon as dates are released - that is when you get best rates! Also, if you are not doing land tour and are OK with round trip from Seattle, Royal has Ovation coming and NCL has Bliss. Both ships have a ton more to do than Radiance; however, we loved Radiance so do not want to disparage it. Either way, you will have an amazing cruise - Alaska is so incredible. We may even see you. We are looking to see how quickly we can afford to go back!

THANK YOU!! is it July the salmon begin to run? Do you think this would be a better time to cruise to see the bears?

I think I read somewhere Dec could possibly be when they release 2020 cruise dates? Can't wait tho!!

We are flying over from Australia so we would like to do the land / sea option!! and then hopefully if we can afford go to Disney in California on the way home!! (being so close)

THANK YOU!! is it July the salmon begin to run? Do you think this would be a better time to cruise to see the bears?

I think I read somewhere Dec could possibly be when they release 2020 cruise dates? Can't wait tho!!

We are flying over from Australia so we would like to do the land / sea option!! and then hopefully if we can afford go to Disney in California on the way home!! (being so close)

I think we booked in March 2017 for June 2018. And I think July is perfect for salmon.

Everything I've read says that best time for bear tours is mid July to end September. You might want to check out http://www.islandwings.com/anan-creek---traitors-cove-bear-viewing-tours.html Everything (posts) I've run across says this gal (Michelle) does an awesome job.

In the flight tour to see bears at Traitors Cove, Michelle starts those July 20th this year to end of September. You can see that her Anan Creek tours are in July exclusively. Also note that she has been doing this a very long time. I'm not recommending this tour since I've not been on it but check her pages.

• 3 months later...
On 12/31/2018 at 11:44 PM, breezy_carol said:

Just booked this southbound cruise for August 2019.  Really enjoyed reading this to give me a starting point for looking at excursions.

I am glad you enjoyed it - hope you have an amazing time on your cruise.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did almost the same trip several years ago & loved your review-it brought back so many memories! You would love the pictures on our walls-we flew into Fairbanks on the summer solstice & have an amazing shot from the Grande Denali...taken at 11 :30 PM! I agree about stocking up on snacks, especially on the land portion. I still use my reuseable shopping bag I bought @ Fred Meyers-my go-to souvenier-Cheap (usually $1 or $2) folds flat in your suitcase, and there's ALWAYS something you need to carry! I have them from stores from Fairbanks to the Florida keys and they have prompted some really nice conversations at the checkout at my local grocery store. Just saying!

Thanks for the memories!

On 2/22/2019 at 11:31 AM, Mrs. PGNM said:

Would love to know your wife's favorite shopping stops, what to look for, price comparison, etc.  Also did you consider booking your flight through RC?

Hi there.  My wife enjoys shopping everywhere...lol.  But, there are gift shops at every port.  Icy Straight Point and Skagway had some of the more unique places.  Ketchikan resembled many Caribbean port with Diamonds International, the Bamboo store, and the t-shirt shop that has clothes change color in the sun.  I think we bought stuff in every port - but mostly just t-shirts and a few nicknacks - and candy...lol.   Alsways a place or two making homemade candy 😛

We did not consider booking flights through RCI because we wanted to find the best prices and connections, so we searched across four airports - MIA, FLL, PBI, and MCO.  Also we wanted to find flights where we could get three seats together.  I spent a lot of time looking at different combinations until we found just the right flights.   

Edited by RSLeesburg

• 4 months later...

Question: I am sorry if you already answered this but it is taking me so long to read all the posts. Are the pools heated on Serenade to Alaska? I have two children 10-11 years old. We are used to cruising on large ships like NCL Escape, RCCL Allure and Oasis, and I am wondering how they will be busy and like the cruise to Alaska. They don't go to the kids clubs. We are used to cruising the caribbean and going to the private islands/beaches. I think if the pools are not heated and comfortable to use in August going to Alaska from Vancouver, that will make me cancel my courtesy hold.

Thanks!

On our cruise the pool was heated on Radiance.  There is a smaller pool with water slide for kids, but that was closed the entire trip because of the wind and colder temps.   But we were in in Alaska in late June, and temps were in 70's in Anchorage, in the 50's when we boarded, and 40's up on Glacier.  In terms of the ship, our son loves the kids club and hung out there a lot - especially at night.  The ship also has basketball court, mini golf (although too windy to use on sea days), cinema, pool tables (he loved these), dart board in the pub, arcade, and ping pong.  They had a hot dog place outside WJ (which he also loved).  We had excursions booked at every port, so on those days we kept busy off the ship, and on the two sea days, he would either go to kids club or arcade or play pool if it was open.  

PS:  They also opened Solarium pool up for a few hours each day, although IIRC, that pool is fairly tiny.   

Edited by RSLeesburg

• 9 months later...
On 7/1/2018 at 7:24 AM, RSLeesburg said:

On Day 1, when we met with Julie, she handed out the list of optional tours and you mark down which ones you want to do. There were maybe 8-10 or so for Day 2 in Denali, but you only have time to do one. As you are driving up to Denali, the tour guide books and confirms your excursion. There were also 2 or so optional ones in Talkeetna, and I think you can request these while in Denali.

Here is a link that provides a wealth of information about the land tours and I thought they also have listings for the optional excursions:

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/resources/

Thank you for putting the reference for the optional excursions during the land portion of a cruise tour.  I realize there may be different ones when we go in 2021, but it gives us an idea of what to look for.  I looked for around the internet for hours to find this information.  It's almost as if it was a big secret.