Personalizing Your Cabin

Dcoy

When on a world cruise, do you do anything to personalize your cabin. I'm on a 94 day cruise which means I'll be in the same cabin longer than some apartments I've lived in.

I know unless you have a suite, there is not a lot of room to make it your own. I got a free world map from AAA and plan on putting it on the wall to track my trip.

Any other ideas on making the cabin feel like "home".

Don

• Haha 1

One of the things we do is to bring photos of our family members. The walls in our room are magnetic so we bring little magnet to hold them. We've been doing this for years.

We also bring magnetic clips to hand some items.

A map of the world is a nice idea if your cruise line does not provide it.

Keith

I got a free world map from AAA and plan on putting it on the wall to track my trip.

Don

Darn, I didn't get one. Did you get it in relation to your cruise or did you ask for one?

I plan on bringing some family pictures. Not sure if the Cunard stateroom walls are magnetic.

If my luggage does not all fit under the bed, some of it may become decorative items.:D

Kathi

• Haha 1

Darn, I didn't get one. Did you get it in relation to your cruise or did you ask for one?

I plan on bringing some family pictures. Not sure if the Cunard stateroom walls are magnetic.

If my luggage does not all fit under the bed, some of it may become decorative items.:D

Kathi

I got my map from AAA just by going online to my account and ordering it. I also ordered books and maps of Hawaii, San Francisco and the Carribean from them. All free and got them in about a week. You could still have time to order.

Luggage as a decorative items, that could work.

Don

• Haha 1

I got my map from AAA just by going online to my account and ordering it. I also ordered books and maps of Hawaii, San Francisco and the Carribean from them. All free and got them in about a week. You could still have time to order.

Don

Could you give us a link to order the world map? I just went online to the AAA site and was unable to find any place I could order it; so I called AAA and they told me I could only get one at my local AAA location and there would be a charge. I am sure the charge would be nominal, but would love to know where you found it online so I could order other things in the future.

Art

Could you give us a link to order the world map? I just went online to the AAA site and was unable to find any place I could order it; so I called AAA and they told me I could only get one at my local AAA location and there would be a charge. I am sure the charge would be nominal, but would love to know where you found it online so I could order other things in the future.

Art

Art

Not sure if you're a AAA member but I went on their website and logged on. There was a link to Order Maps/Tour Books. Clicked on it and started choosing books and maps, all no charge. Since their corporate offices are only a few miles from where I live, they were here in about a week.

Can't post the link as it would include my login. Also don't know if the no charge has anything to do with the type of membership I have. Even if they charge you, I think it's worth it.

Also not sure where you live but my AAA office is autoclubsouth.aaa.com.

Good luck

Don

Art

Art, just so you know assuming Crystal does what they have been doing the past two years you will get a map that will include the name of our voyage and you will be able to follow on the map where we will be sailing.

Just wanted you to know.

If you are a member of AAA call them and they will send you a world map.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Art

I tried to find a world map online and could not. I was in the local AAA office this week and asked about a world map. She gave me one and when I told her I wanted it for my granddaughter to follow my trip, she gave me a second one for me. There was no charge just had to show my card.

• 6 months later...

This is how I personalized my stateroom. I purchased magnetic photo sleeves at Michael's (they were a dollar or two) for family pictures and put up my world map with magnets I purchased along the way. The map was really useful. I also had a dry erase board ($2 at Michael's) where I posted dates and times I wanted to remember.

1945_zps68393b60.jpg

1947_zps0561afbd.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
When on a world cruise, do you do anything to personalize your cabin. I'm on a 94 day cruise which means I'll be in the same cabin longer than some apartments I've lived in.

I know unless you have a suite, there is not a lot of room to make it your own. I got a free world map from AAA and plan on putting it on the wall to track my trip.

Any other ideas on making the cabin feel like "home".

Don

We put up a map of the world and drew in the lines between ports as we progressed. We had Bon voyage and birthday cards up. Sometimes we were given colourful beads and fans in ports and we put those up on the walls too. I also went to the art classes and put some of my artwork up. All in all our cabin looked very individual and lived in!

We put up a map of the world and drew in the lines between ports as we progressed. We had Bon voyage and birthday cards up. Sometimes we were given colourful beads and fans in ports and we put those up on the walls too. I also went to the art classes and put some of my artwork up. All in all our cabin looked very individual and lived in! Oh and I almost forgot, we collected fridge magnets from every port (our daughter requested them) and they made a marvellous display.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Target sells very nice collapsable fabric covered storage boxes that make clutter in a ship stateroom disappear. We loved them. They fold up to very small and are very light. We selected colors that would go with the decor in our room. (hint: look on line at your room's decor)

We also used small metal mesh baskets on the wall to put small things in. We used a nice small flat metallic magnetic dry erase board on the wall by the door to leave each other messages. These all came from the Container Store.

We brought electric wax candles that did double duty as both a night light in the bathroom and romantic room service dinners. We bought these at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I brought very nice smelling soaps that I used as sachets in my chest of drawers. At the end I gave them as gifts.

I brought a small bag of nice sample size cosmetics from Sephora. They were trial size things that were not to my taste but my stewardess loved the high end lipsticks and eye colors. These were a big hit and went a long way. At the holidays Sephora has lots of these small trial size cosmetics for a very reasonable price. I took the colors and ones I wanted and saved the rest to give away on our cruise to women who might enjoy them. The ladies I gave them to were delighted and kept talking about them for months.

Bring lots of greeting cards. People have birthdays and other occasions. It is best to be prepared. You are going to be gone for months. Finding greeting cards overseas can be tricky. Remember there will be thank you cards to send as well. We did write personal notes to many of the staff we came to know over the many months.

"Bring lots of greeting cards. People have birthdays and other occasions. It is best to be prepared. You are going to be gone for months. Finding greeting cards overseas can be tricky. Remember there will be thank you cards to send as well. We did write personal notes to many of the staff we came to know over the many months."

This is a great idea. I remember needing a few birthday and an anniversary cards. The ship had few choices and were pricey. I did pickup some in port.

Don

Currently on Oceania Insignia WC in S. Pacific, outside cabin with big window. Daily Currents has really colorful 3x5 inch ads for happy hour done by graphic artist. I cut them out, taped up all around window frame with all my new magnets.

• 2 years later...

Kathi

You will be on HAL's 2018 WC, right? Are their cabin walls magnetic? I've never thought to test them.

You will be on HAL's 2018 WC, right? Are their cabin walls magnetic? I've never thought to test them.

I have heard conflicting reports about the Amsterdam. Some say they absolutely are and others say magnets didn't work. From my experience on Westerdam I needed heavy duty magnets for anything more than one or two pieces of paper.

Art, just so you know assuming Crystal does what they have been doing the past two years you will get a map that will include the name of our voyage and you will be able to follow on the map where we will be sailing.

Keith

On my Cunard world cruise, we did receive a map of the voyage. I had all three Captins (we were just too much for one captain for the entire trip) and other crew members sign my map. The captins signed in the area of the world that they were in charge of the ship.

Don