Purchasing beverage package onboard

Liz

After 60 cruises on other lines, I'm cruising HAL next month. I have lots of onboard credit and plan to use it to purchase a beverage package. If I purchase it from a bartender or server, rather than a table staffed by ship personnel, will it "help" that individual? In other words, will the person get an extra spiff for selling a package, or does everything get credited to "the house"? I'll probably purchase shortly after embarkation.

For recent Eurodam cruisers - can you recommend a server or bartender from whom I should purchase the package?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Liz

It really doesn't help the person you buy it from.

The 15% service charge is split among all the bar staff.

Good to know - thank you! I think I was on a Princess ship that was giving points to the servers who sold a certain number of packages. I like to help the crew whenever I can.

Liz

Another thing to consider is if you purchase the Signature Beverage Package (SBP) online, ahead of your cruise, it costs $44.95 per day. If you wait to purchase it onboard from any bartender, it costs $49.95 per day, both prices plus the 15% service charge. It doesn't matter if you use OBC while onboard, they jack up the price by $5. This increase for purchasing onboard does net (yet) apply to the Elite Beverage package, which is $54.95 per day, plus 15%. The reasoning is that HAL wants you to spend your OBC on higher markup items like shore excursions, spa treatments, etc. They would rather you spend your own cash to purchase the SBP, online.

This is a great question, if you buy on board, will you get the "cruise day credits" for money charged to your account opposed to pre-purchasing it before the cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do earn "cruise day credits" either way.

Thanks! I knew it would cost more onboard, and originally planned to purchase pre-cruise, but my obc will almost pay for the package so I decided it made sense to wait. I'd forgotten about the cruise day credits - so much to learn about HAL!

Liz

I think the servers may get a little credit. The servers at the Sea View Bar were sure pushing packages and wine tasting on our recent Zuiderdam cruise
I would be surprised if there weren't some sort of incentive to sell stuff ... maybe extra time off for example.