ms Noordam in Juneau July 13, 2017

Scrapnana

I guess that's about it for Noordam's arrival. Crystal Serenity is in the Gastineau. Captain Egil Giske has generally docked port to (with webcam facing NCL) but he went on vacation in Vancouver so I'll be curious about what Captain Birger Vorland does. In any case I should be back for Noordam's departure.

Roy

This may be a question for Copper10-8. I was perusing the Crystal Serenity webcams and the (attached) port cam view shows an old ramp ending at the catwalk. Any idea what this might be? My only guess is that long ago (at least before 1990) I think the ferry came into Juneau, and I'm wondering if this could be a vestige of an old ferry dock. Any other ideas?

85936008_ramp(Mobile).jpg.b6c10c66566dd0ddeb9eba4a71441a25.jpg

Roy

I am currently on the Noordam in Juneau. The reason we were early is because holland America scheduled the removal and replacement of a communication dome. It was a scheduled maintenance as it required a helicopter to do it and Juneau has the personnel and equipment to do it. Yesterday the captain announced that this would happen away from the dock and that he would arrive in port early so it could be completed in time to dock at 8 am

I am currently on the Noordam in Juneau. The reason we were early is because holland America scheduled the removal and replacement of a communication dome. It was a scheduled maintenance as it required a helicopter to do it and Juneau has the personnel and equipment to do it. Yesterday the captain announced that this would happen away from the dock and that he would arrive in port early so it could be completed in time to dock at 8 am

Thanks for solving that mystery! ;) Enjoy your remaining voyage!

This may be a question for Copper10-8. I was perusing the Crystal Serenity webcams and the (attached) port cam view shows an old ramp ending at the catwalk. Any idea what this might be? My only guess is that long ago (at least before 1990) I think the ferry came into Juneau, and I'm wondering if this could be a vestige of an old ferry dock. Any other ideas?

[ATTACH]408694[/ATTACH]

Roy

Sorry Roy; can't help you with that piece of Juneau maritime history 'cause I dunno ;p

Thanks, we were discussing all the probable reasons.

Cruise Critic members answer again.

Enjoy your rain-free [for now] visit.

Thanks retird. It would have been nice if the operation was covered by the webcam although only Carole might have been watching. Have a great rest of the cruise.

Roy

I think it all may have been done when the ship was out of panning range for about 30-45 minutes. She didn't come back until Infinity was in berthing range - about the time the pilot asked if the linemen would be available, if she started moving for the dock and your requote of the "situation" for Noordam.

Here's hoping for a webcam person tomorrow! See you then.

This is the first time I had an email notification all night and with my late arrival home - I forgot - so I missed it. Senior moments are way too plentiful. :o :loudcry: