With prices so high caribbean looks the best value

gordylad

The crime rate is high in the USA, but if you pinpoint where the crime takes place, particularly violent crime, you would see that it is concentrated in certain areas, mostly slums. We live on an island in coastal Georgia with a tourist draw. The island has a very low crime rate, however, go to certain places in Atlanta and it is very high. Of course, we know about those areas and never go into those areas.

If you check the crime rates for many of the ports in the Caribbean, you find high crime rates for many, in particular some of those Central American countries where the drug cartels have taken over. Wandering about on your own, may not be as safe as taking a group tour.

You are exactly right. Our nearest city (30 miles) is Chicago, a city currently infamous for it's gun violence. But where does it happen? Almost exclusively in a set number of areas. Stay away from those and you are as safe in Chicago as in any major city (which means it is not like Mayberry, but with common sense precautions you need not stress about visiting). I live in a very 'normal' middle to upper middle class area, in a town which has the most churches in Illinois and a very low crime rate. But within the first three months I was here there was a murder on the next block (happened to be domestic violence, but a murder nonetheless). You just never know, but do your research, use common sense, and stick to areas frequented by tourists and you will be fine on any of the islands.

You are exactly right. Our nearest city (30 miles) is Chicago, a city currently infamous for it's gun violence. But where does it happen? Almost exclusively in a set number of areas. Stay away from those and you are as safe in Chicago as in any major city (which means it is not like Mayberry, but with common sense precautions you need not stress about visiting). I live in a very 'normal' middle to upper middle class area, in a town which has the most churches in Illinois and a very low crime rate. But within the first three months I was here there was a murder on the next block (happened to be domestic violence, but a murder nonetheless). You just never know, but do your research, use common sense, and stick to areas frequented by tourists and you will be fine on any of the islands.

this topic is derailed....I think it is about Celebritys high prices.

Sorry, but Aruba's murder rate is less than the United States......

You want a high murder rate? United States Virgin Islands (US) is well above Jamaica's.

a - why did you have to go and do this?? LOL, ruin the perception the OP of the statement has of these islands and/or inhabitants/residents?

Sometimes we get incubated and blurt out info which is not quite vetted or supported or basically researched, one way or another...

bon voyage

Having looked around at prices for future sailing it seems caribbean sailings look to offer the best value.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps in comparison to other areas of the world, but Celebrity's prices are pretty high, so much so that in February DW and I are moving to Regent. If we are pleased as our friends say we will be, we'll probably continue with that line or others like it. Celebrity is just getting too rich for our blood.

In April of 2016 we booked a suite on the Eclipse for a total of about $5900 or $267 pp per day for a pre Christmas cruise in 2017. I tried to book the same cabin class on a three day shorter cruise also on the Eclipse for next May, I found the rate to be $361 pp per diem. If I dropped the four perks, the cost still would be $307 a day pp. Both are in the Caribbean. We've enjoyed X for many years, but it might be worth paying something more for the smaller ship experience we've enjoyed in the past.

October 2019, Eclipse "Vancouver to Hawaii" or "Hawaii to Vancouver" or "LA-Honolulu-LA", Veranda 2C around $500 PerPaxPerDay

March 2018, Eclipse 14 Night Exotic Southern Caribbean, Veranda 2C around $140 PerPaxPerDay

I was recently quoted a total of $5600 for the 12 night Hi to Vancouver in a 1A in April 2019. So about $233 pp per day. That's still too darn high. I've done that cruise 3 times and never paid anywhere near that much. In 2013 it was $2600 in a 1A prior to the roll out of the "free perks". The last time we did it (April 2016) in a C2 and it was around $4k.

I was recently quoted a total of $5600 for the 12 night Hi to Vancouver in a 1A in April 2019. So about $233 pp per day. That's still too darn high. I've done that cruise 3 times and never paid anywhere near that much. In 2013 it was $2600 in a 1A prior to the roll out of the "free perks". The last time we did it (April 2016) in a C2 and it was around $4k.

I have rechecked it Cat 2C is $249 PPPD and cat 2B is $252- CAT 2B is almost the same as your 1A quote.

Our next Caribbean sailings: Silhouette cruise CAT 2B is $176 and Eclipse CAT 2C is $140,

Very expensive the sailing to Hawaii

If they cannot find people willing to pay the current prices, the prices will come down. They've done this for several years now...high prices at initial offering and they lower over time on itineraries that warrant it.