Appetizers in WJ?

Various reasons I've read: takes too long, food is not hot, too noisy, not enough selection. food inedible, wait too long.

yep - all of those. We are recent converts to WJ as we dont really like buffet style eating for our dinner - but lately the food in the MDR has pushed us into choosing WJ much more often :(

Worth going into MDR for formal nights when lobster is available though!!

Jean

Not sure about other people but we don't eat in the main dining due to speed of service and lack of space. My DS has brain damage and is severely handicapped. He starts getting distressed if we stay in one place too long. His wheelchair is large and wide, the chair cannot fit under a table and due to its width (29 inches) it tends to block the aisles between tables.

For us it is quicker to eat in the Windjammer and we can normally find a table with plenty of space around it so people cannot bump in to wheelchair.

This is concerning to me, we are first time RCCL travelers and have never had issues with mobility devices fitting into the main dinning room. Is this on a certain ship class that you've encountered this issue?

This is concerning to me, we are first time RCCL travelers and have never had issues with mobility devices fitting into the main dinning room. Is this on a certain ship class that you've encountered this issue?

Normal wheelchairs don't have problems with MDS nor do scooters, than are moved after the user has transferred out of them.

DS is confined to his wheelchair. The wheelchair has a moulded seat and is 29 inches wide at it widest part. This means that the chair tends to take up most of the space between tables. We have never had a problem getting to tables as long as the table is next to the main aisle. We just cannot sit near a window where the aisles are narrower. We don't like blocking the aisle as the waiters have a hard enough job without them having to walk extra because the chair has filled most of the aisle and the waiters won't squeeze pass the wheelchair in case they knock the chair.

Please don't be concerned our chair is not standard size. It is 29 inches wide; 51 inches long, measured from footrest to handles, and 44 inches high.

I’m just curious and new to Royal, but I have seen this a couple times on here so may I ask, why wouldn’t you want to eat in the main dining area? /quote]

We are probably 70/30 Windjammer (buffet)/Dining room.

I like the ability to try small bites of many things without wasting food ordering multiple full sized portions. Also a wider variety of food. More casual feel.

But up to you which you prefer.

+1 ^ :)

I broke my foot first night on Brilliance last year...(not such a great way to start a cruise. :o) Then had three cruises booked close together after that on three different RCI ships. Was in wheel chair during that time and no problem accessing either the WJ or the MDR (which we used for breakfast and lunch).

No worries...they are set up for it. Enjoy your cruise. :)

On our 3 night Enchantment cruise in June, DH and I made a conscious decision to not eat in the MDR, and just do the WJ. Our reason was we didn’t want to bring dress clothes for so short a trip. We found it completely acceptable. The food was hot, and plentiful, and I found my beloved ranger cookies daily! Our complaint was that the food in the evening seemed to be the same every night. Would we do the WJ every meal for a 7+ night cruise? Extremely doubtful, but that’s just us. We did enjoy being able to get in & out at our own speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Normal wheelchairs don't have problems with MDS nor do scooters, ...

Please don't be concerned our chair is not standard size. It is 29 inches wide; 51 inches long, measured from footrest to handles, and 44 inches high.

To put your mind at rest I thought I would show you my DS's wheelchair.

1440787921_DSsWheelchair.thumb.JPG.b78956e3e0a8f0c3d11f01125768fbd9.JPG

I’m just curious and new to Royal, but I have seen this a couple times on here so may I ask, why wouldn’t you want to eat in the main dining area?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lately Windjammer has been very impressive, offering items not seen in MDR, and / or only seen in specialty restaurants. Themed nights, made to order dessert stations, no rushing around servers. It's quite nice. Compare that with new MDR menus that are now 3 courses and have maybe 3-5 apps change daily, 4 mains change daily, 2 or 3 desserts change daily. Not a ton of variation after a few days

Since we eat late, we usually go into the WJ when they first open at 6pm to check out the soups and apps. I have found on various ships some great cheese offerings, antipasto, sliced meats, but not the plated appetizers you would get in the MDR.

I will also check for sushi.

It all depends on the ship and the manager of the WJ.

Agree we are really starting to enjoy the no hassle WJ..... to eat what we want and when we want.

Though, the exception for us is Oasis class. Too small for the ship. All the other smaller ships really do it up nicely. On Oasis...we prefer the Solarium Cafe.