Ok Celebrity...it's been nice.

Danno

So RCI is going ahead with plans to further ruin the cruise experience by encouraging the definition of rudeness, the cell phone, on it's ships.

Unless something changes, my cruise in Feb will be my last on this once fine line...frankly RCI is turning out to be nothing more than Carnival in a better suit. The "anything for a buck" cruise line. To have had such a fine product and allow these morons to make it pedestrian is almost criminal...what is this love affair with technology and communications at the expense of all else...how short sighted.

No hard feelings...I've had 10 great cruises and will miss cruising terribly...however the cruise experience that is being offered is becoming little more than a floating average hotel...food better than average, rooms smaller than average = average.

What lousy news....:(

Cell at sea...for the cost of a cruise you can now experience all the rude people you thought you left behind, live and in person throughout your cruise ship...RCI is proud of this innovation and expects it will enhance our cruise. How do people this stupid ever end up in charge of anything...

You might be happier with a Canadian cruiseline.

Cheap shot...(at least I have enough pride to declare where I am from)

What makes you think Canadian's are less rude with cell phones than anyone else...this stupidity knows no borders.

Cell at sea...for the cost of a cruise you can now experience all the rude people you thought you left behind, live and in person throughout your cruise ship...RCI is proud of this innovation and expects it will enhance our cruise. How do people this stupid ever end up in charge of anything...

I think you're looking at this rather narrowly. First, you have to remember that on X, you're not being interrupted constantly with shipwide announcements. Truly, I do not wish to be reminded that the napkin folding seminar in 6 forward takes place in 15 minutes. A trade-off certainly exists... and on the other lines, there's bloody little you can do about this problem.

As to the cell phones -- now there's something that can be resolved. As noted on another thread, you simply run a little science experiment. The first time you hear one of the things blasting out the William Tell Overture at ringer levels appropriate for the hearing impaired, you borrow the phone briefly and see whether it's still audible at 6 fathoms. No court in the world will convict you!

I am sure there will be a charge for cell phone usage. Just another way to nickle and dime people. I certainly can see your point Danno. You mean you will not cruise anymore? Not to many cruiselines are offering this yet so you can certainly try another line? The "fine" product is certainly going downhill. Maybe time to try something new?

I will be writing Mr.Williams a nice letter this weekend and will be sending him back my Captain's Club cards...frankly I don't want to spend a week on a ship where this is done and I done want to be around people who think that a cruise ship is a fitting place to have a cell phone...I am obviously out of step with the future of cruising...so I'll move on.

I am sure there will be a charge for cell phone usage. Just another way to nickle and dime people. I certainly can see your point Danno. You mean you will not cruise anymore? Not to many cruiselines are offering this yet so you can certainly try another line? The "fine" product is certainly going downhill. Maybe time to try something new?

I think Celebrity Escapes will soon be offering a Polar dog sled expirence.

Which pole - I have no idea.

But theres no cell towers out there.

Dress is come in your parka though.

UGH! Cell phones and Walkie-Talkies...what next? :eek:

Personally, the cell phone is a great tool when needed. I was able to stay in contact with my children during a Hawaiian cruise this Fall. We had Sprint and the calls were free. Of course, I kept my phoning to my stateroom (not on the balcony) and took the phone with me on excursions in case of an emergency, but kept it on silent and checked it often.

Would you believe that I heard a man on another balcony having a business conversation, complete with giving out important bank account numbers and such. He was so loud that I am sure everyone on the back of the ship could hear what he was saying. So rude and dangerous for him!

I too hope that some rules will be set up before this program takes off. :rolleyes:

I too hope that some rules will be set up before this program takes off. :rolleyes:

And who would you have enforce these "rules"...the same folks who enforce the existing rules??

Rude cell phone users will be rude no matter what rules are in place...

Way to go Danno; I totally agree with you and its not because I live 4 hours south of you. LOL Cell phones are great for work purposes, emergencies, families etc. However, why would anyone want to have a cell phone on a cruise. I work way to hard to get away & I don't feel I need to talk to everyone back home.Thats why they have MSN or hotmail. My trips are for total relaxation and a phone of any kind will not help me achieve that goal.

Watching people walk around with cell phones you have to wonder why they even left the dock. Hopefully this situation will work itself out and u can continue to cruise.

Jane.

And who would you have enforce these "rules"...the same folks who enforce the existing rules??

Rude cell phone users will be rude no matter what rules are in place...

I had breakfast in the dining room one day while in port. I swear, at a table for 8, at least 2 people at the table were on a cell phone for the 10 minutes I was at the table. It was up and away for me, I had the waiter put a lid on my food and I went to my cabin. What a bunch of ignorant boors, there should be no cell phone usage in the dining room at any time.

I'm with you Danno, I'm just hoping the charges are so high that no one buys the service. The thought of constant cell phone chatter, even when at sea, would spoil my cruise too.

Reggie:mad:

I will be writing Mr.Williams a nice letter this weekend and will be sending him back my Captain's Club cards...frankly I don't want to spend a week on a ship where this is done and I done want to be around people who think that a cruise ship is a fitting place to have a cell phone...I am obviously out of step with the future of cruising...so I'll move on.

Why dont you wait and see just how its going to work. I'm sure there will be restrictions, as there is smoking. It was not long ago that wanting to send e-mail while at sea was reason to get flamed.:rolleyes: Also, as with the wireless service for lap tops, there may be "hot Spots" on the ship that you have to use for the cell phone to work. Maybe one area of the ship will have this hot spot. Thats what is happening with the lap tops now. People are not sitting at the pool with the lap top. It wont work.

I understand you wanting to send a letter, but nothing has happened yet.

I understand you wanting to send a letter, but nothing has happened yet.

Maybe if enough people voice displeasure with this it won't happen at all or will be severely restricted. I sent my letter off, we'll see if I get a reply.

Reggie:(

"Danno"-Sorry you took offense to my reference to a "Canadian cruiseline"-it was meant as metaphor (for trying to find the unobtainable). Cell phones are a fact of life and will only grow and extend their reach. Airlines, hotels, and now cruiselines will offer the service because many people expect it and often need it. Eventually, you will only be able to escape cell phones by staying in a cabin in the far north woods. The problem isn't cell phones; it's the people who use them wrongly and/or rudely and taking away cell phones is not going to stop people from being rude. I've noticed your unhappiness in a number of posts with several aspects of Celebrity as it is currently operated so your decision to leave the cruiseline is probably a good one for you. By the way, I'm from NY, NY, USA.

sorry...I misunderstood your intention...I see now.

Like Reggie said...cells are a great tool for business. They have their place. A cruise ship is not a place of business and it is not a stretch to say "casual" cell phone users are amoung the rudest people you will ever encounter...I have no interest in being in a confined area (a ship) while our hosts are encouraging people to annoy other passengers.

This is a bad idea whose only purpose is to draw money...the execs from RCI would have their mothers cleaning rooms for free if they thought there was a buck to be made...

I won a small business and I understand that every business must make money, but, I have some standards and pride in my product. I would rather lose the business than lose my self respect.

Hi Dan, sorry you are so upset........

did you have a typo though?;)

Quote:

"I won a small business" ~ hmmm...Dan, did you mean to say You RUN a small business?

We experienced cell phone usage by a large number of people (children included) while on the Constellation in Europe. Needless to say it was very annoying especially while we were eating. Phones were constantly ringing and loud talking along with it. There is no need for cell phones on cruise ships. People have access to the internet 24 hours a day if there is a need to contact someone.

The joys of getting away from it all, savoring life at sea...the peace, the serenity, the pure, sheer beauty of escaping the hustle and bustle of real life. Now, the annoying clatter/chatter of cell yell ... ah Celebrity -- what have you done? The sophisticated, refined sailing experience, ~~~ gone with the wind. I, too, am sad.

Notice that the better restaurants in any city prohibit cell phone use? This is in order to preserve fine dining. A relaxed, enjoyable experience for all. Celebrity used to be like that.

Want freedom? Buy a raft, paddle, Long/Lat map,& a compass and

set sail for a deserted island. Enjoy a week there.

Sheeesh. Cell phones are a daily item. When you get up in the morning

and get ready to go to work and if you hear a cell phone, do you go

back inside and decide not to go to work? Just because someone goes

on vacation or a cruise doesn't mean that they don't have business that

they may or may not have to take care of. Oh I forgot there isn't

Freedom of Speech.

:rolleyes:

Archived