In search of lobster rolls

atb

Our itinerary: Portland ME, St John NB, Halifax NS, Bar Harbor ME, and Boston MA.

We would like any recommendations for GREAT lobster rolls within walking distance, or easy to get to.

Our itinerary: Portland ME, St John NB, Halifax NS, Bar Harbor ME, and Boston MA.

We would like any recommendations for GREAT lobster rolls within walking distance, or easy to get to.

In Boston you can go to James Hook Lobster Co. on the corner of Seaport Blvd and Atlantic Avenue. It's probably about a mile from the Black Falcon Cruiseport. It is not a sit-down restaurant, but rather a retail/wholesale lobster shop that does great lobster rolls. You could get one to go, find a nice spot on the harbor behind the courthouse and enjoy the view while you eat.

For Bar Harbor, I have three restaurants to suggest for the lobster roll. The Fish House Grill http://fishhouse-grill.com/home.html , located at the tender dock; Stewmans Lobster Pound http://www.stewmanslobsterpound.com/default.asp , just north of the tender dock, about a 3 minute walk from the there; and the West St Cafe http://www.weststreetcafe.com/default.asp?id=1 , located diagonally across the street from Stewmans, about a 5 minute walk from the tender dock. Either if these, will give you what you want.

If you really want an excellent cold lobster meal, I would highly recommend the Lobster Boat "Cobb" (a Cobb salad with lobster) offered by Stewmans.

SBtS

We enjoyed lobster rolls in Bar Harbour at Stewmans right on the water close to the tender area.

First we went to Acadia National Park on Ollis Trolley Tour, had lunch and still had time for shopping.

2008 Canada/NewEngland Review on CB http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849213

I live in Maine and grew up around Ba Hauba as we call it. When you come in on the tenders there are dozens of choices. Anywhere on the little main strip in Bar Harbor will have lobster rolls, clam bake, steamers, crab rolls, etc. We have you flatlanders figured out, so pretty much every restaurant serves the same stuff. Best lobster meat is in the mid/end of the summer when they are shedding (molting), sweet and tender meat and you can only get it locally because you can't ship shedding lobsters.

In portland, head down towards Commercial Street by the ocean, loads of spots down there.

• 2 months later...

When you are in Portland you'll find plenty of seafood choices along Commercial St., and the Old Port area. Gilbert's Chowder House is pretty close to where you will dock. It's not very fancy, but great food! Dimillo's is a nice place a bit further down the street in a renovated ferry boat. If it's a warm sunny day, ask to sit up on the outside deck. You'll have a nice view of the harbor and the marina next door. They have lobster rolls on the menu, along with lots of other temptations. Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

I must confess that I was seriously confused. When we got off the ship, and started walking down the street - I kept thinking - this is so familiar. We were here last October - Gilberts rocked then, and still did this time around.

We were seriously dissapointed with McKelvies in Halifax. They hadn't changed to their summer menu yet - June 22, and they had a lobster quesadilla special. Definately more research for next year. Early reports are "Your Fathers Mustache" do have lobster rolls.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just back from our New England cruise on Caribbean Princess. For a place a bit off the beaten path in Bar Harbor, we followed the recommendation of our Oli's Trolley driver and went to the Dog & Pony Tavern on Rodick Place (not to be confused with Rodick Street). Just walk up (south) Main Street about three blocks from the tender pier and turn right on Rodick Pl. Dog & Pony Tavern has friendly service, indoor and ourdoor seating, and a broad menu. More to the point, their lobster rolls have a very generous helping of meat without the heavy dose of mayo some places give you.

Lee

Just got off the Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas and did the same itinerary. We ate lobster like kings at every port :)

Portland - Gilbert's Chowder House - a hole in the wall a stones throw from the dock. We had great clam chowder and the best lobster rolls of the whole trip. I liked them b/c they served the mayo on the side, so I had just the lobster.

Bar Harbor - West Street Cafe - Thanks to SailtheBadSinner for the recommendation! We had the lobster bake, which was the whole lobster meal: chowder, a whole steamed lobster, french fries, coleslaw and warm blueberry pie a la mode. I'm still dreaming about that pie! Grab a table on the deck outside, tie on a bib and enjoy some lobster! The waiter was even nice enough to give us a tutorial on how to eat the thing :)

St. John - Grannan's - inside the Market Square Center. I had a great lobster roll (this time with the mayo mixed in) and my husband reports that his fish and chips were excellent.

Halifax - McKelvie's - the best lunch of our entire trip! I had a great beer battered fish and chips, which were battered in a local brew and weren't greasy at all. My husband had salmon, which was awesome. We also had a slice of Ovation pie afterward, which is basically a frozen mint chocolate chip ice cream cake.

All these places were recommended on these boards and were awesome. We didn't have a bad lunch the entire trip!

Archived