What Are YOUR Top 3 MUSTS on Veendam to Bermuda?

Since I'm sailing on the Veendam in only a few short days, I'm putting together my "cheat sheet" of things to do.

What are your 3 MUST-DOS? These can be places to visit in Bermuda and/or tips for enjoying days at sea on the Veendam.

I've been trolling the boards for months and you are all so helpful! Your opinion counts.

Thanks - and I look forward to reporting back as a HAL fist-timer (unless you count that cruise I took when I was two on the Rotterdam!)

I can come up with two things I want to do on my Bermuda cruise:

Find a deck chair on the shady side of Lower Promenade---one with a view of something other than the bulkhead---and relax.

Repeat on the way back. :D

But I haven't a clue yet what I want to do on the island. I know I want to see how it's changed since the last time I was there (1986).

Since I'm sailing on the Veendam in only a few short days, I'm putting together my "cheat sheet" of things to do.

What are your 3 MUST-DOS? These can be places to visit in Bermuda and/or tips for enjoying days at sea on the Veendam.

I've been trolling the boards for months and you are all so helpful! Your opinion counts.

Thanks - and I look forward to reporting back as a HAL fist-timer (unless you count that cruise I took when I was two on the Rotterdam!)

When we were there the last time it was not on HAL so can't tell you too much about the Veendam, but on the Island we found lots of things to do. You can usually pick up a tranportation pass that you can purchase for the time you are there and it allows you to take all public transportation (buses and ferry) as much as you want. Just riding the ferry all around the island is great. In St George it is great to just walk around, a lot of history there. Hamilton is just like any larger town. Hopefully you will be there when they have the festival in the streets. On the Northend they have a great navel museum. They also have swimming with the dolphins but you need to make reservations in advance. Also a great little resturant to eat lunch, can't remember the exact name but something to do with a frog. Have a great time, it is one of our favorite places.

Find a deck chair on the shady side of Lower Promenade---one with a view of something other than the bulkhead---and relax.

But I haven't a clue yet what I want to do on the island. I know I want to see how it's changed since the last time I was there (1986).

Ruth, the third thing is to see the poolette with me.:):)

1) Horseshoe Bay

2) Horseshoe Bay

3) Horseshoe Bay

OK, I like Horseshoe Bay, too, but I think it would be on our list only once.

We've been to Bermuda a number of times before, so we chose our "best of" for our recent cruise.

Ruth's description of sea days matches mine.

For port days, whether you tender to St Georges or go right to Hamilton, do take a day to see St Georges. The town is lovely, has some nice small shops. Take your camera and wander the lanes. Lots of nice views, pretty flowers. Take the shuttle van or walk to Tobacco Bay. Actually, do this first before it gets hot. They rent chairs and umbrellas and have a nice snack bar. So do the beach, have lunch, wander the town.

For our other days, we did a morning at Horseshoe Bay. They rent chairs and umbrellas and have somewhere for lunch (and they have rum swizzles!) The poster who suggested the bus pass is right. It's the cheapest way to get around. And if you ask about a stop when you get on, the driver will remember to call it out when you get to the stop.

And our other shore day was a circle around Harrington sound. We took the bus to the Aquarium, spent a few hours thare. Then a bus ride to the Swizzle Inn (the original) for lunch. Then another bus ride to Verdmont, a hilltop house that belongs to the historical society. Then another bus ride back town. It was a very long day. For a first visit, I'd skip Verdmont, although it is lovely up there.

We used the half day to wander around Hamilton a bit and do a little shopping.

Bermuda has a good tourism website, where you can get many more ideas. There's helmet diving, caves, the museum at the Dockyard (west end, Kings wharf, whatever they're calling it now).

St Georges will be pleasantly familiar. Hamilton has changed quite a lot. For one thing, buildings are taller. You'll notice the difference on the sail into Hamilton. Plus, Smith's and Trimingham's are gone. :mad:

Definitely be up early for the return to NYC. I just got back from Bermuda on the Veendam on 7/4. I went out on the verandah around 5-5:30am. We waited in a staging area for the pilot to board and then watched as we sailed along the New Jersey coast. The Celebrity Summit was backing into the pier at Bayonne. We passed under the Verazano bridge, Lady Liberty and Ellis Island. It was a beautiful morning and we got the most amazing pictures. You need to be on the Port side of the ship to see these sights.

The trip from St. George to Hamilton is also beautiful. The ship leaves St. George around 7am. If you have a verandah - order room service and enjoy the scenic cruising.

Be prepared to walk the stairs on board the ship. The elevator service was terrible. There are only 8 passenger elevators on board - 4 forward and 4 aft. At least 2 were always out of service. On embarkation day the aft elevators are used for transporting luggage.

Make sure you attend the pool party after Harbor Night in Hamilton. We danced on shore and then returned to the ship to continue dancing.

There's a little bar on Front Street called Flanagan's. Go to the second floor, order your favorite libation and get a good view of the Veendam as she sits in the harbor. Also makes for good people watching. Maybe a lunch at the White Horse Tavern in St. George's. Whatever you do, you will enjoy!

K

OK,

For port days, whether you tender to St Georges or go right to Hamilton, do take a day to see St Georges. The town is lovely, has some nice small shops. Take your camera and wander the lanes. Lots of nice views, pretty flowers. Take the shuttle van or walk to Tobacco Bay. Actually, do this first before it gets hot. They rent chairs and umbrellas and have a nice snack bar. So do the beach, have lunch, wander the town.

Do you happen to know how often the shuttle runs to Tobacco Bay, where you catch it, and what the charge is?

Thanks for any info.

We were on the April 25 voyage.

1. Horseshoe Bay - we rented a scooter for 2 and then went to the Botanical Garden and Spanish Point afterwards. We also passed the former site of our honeymoon hotel from about 43 years ago, the Carlton Beach (later Sonesta Beach) which has been leveled.

2. St. Georges - ship didn't get there on our cruise so we took the bus over and ferry back to Hamilton. We walked all over town and out to Fort St. Catherines. The beach was open at Tobacco Bay but not next to the fort. By now it might be open.

3. Ferry to Kings Wharf and back. We visited the shops and had a tour of the museum with Capt. Steven Card whose paintings are hanging there and on the HAL ships.

A.S. asked: .....Do you happen to know how often the shuttle runs to Tobacco Bay, where you catch it, and what the charge is?....

The jitney or shuttle is not scheduled; it is on demand. I believe the fare is $2.00/person. You would catch it in the town square.

SBtS

Great topic! We just returned on 7/4, so here are my immediate thoughts as to Top 3 recommendations:

3) If you tender to St. George's, take the later ferries if your schedule allows (11:30 going in, and 6:30 coming back). This will avoid some of the problems others have encountered with packed ferries, etc. And while in St. George's, do walk past Tobacco Bay and on to St. Catherine's beach -- it's just a few minutes further walk, but much, much less crowded and oh-so beautiful.

2) Do see all of the shows onboard. They are all varying degrees of excellent, with the show on Thursday night (I think?) being just amazing in terms of the talent of the man and woman doing the singing.

1) Enjoy the incredible food on the ship (some of the best we've ever had on our dozen or so cruises). Do, however, make every attempt when you board to get fixed seating in the dining room if you are currently slotted with the poorly-named "As You Wish" anytime dining. The system does not work well at all on this ship unfortunately, which stands in the way of getting to that outstanding food! :)

And have fun! It's a very nice ship overall, and Bermuda is a great destination!

Ed and Rich

A few years back, we were on a charter of the Noordam to Bermuda, which was fabulous.

For me, I think the Crystal Caves were an absolute highlight and a `must see`, even for a claustrophobe like myself :)

Here are some of my pics of the Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo and Crystal Caves here.... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=104260&id=868485370&l=39e2f6a2a0

A.S. asked: .....Do you happen to know how often the shuttle runs to Tobacco Bay, where you catch it, and what the charge is?....

The jitney or shuttle is not scheduled; it is on demand. I believe the fare is $2.00/person. You would catch it in the town square.

SBtS

Thank you so much. Good to know!

Thank's Everyone for all your suggestions..

Have downloaded 4 pages of ideas from you all & other threads..We'll be on the Aug 15 cruise & I'm getting so excited..I want to do everything, but know that's impossible...

However, we're also booked with Friends on Oceania to Bermuda next April, so what we don't do this time, we'll have a 2nd. chance to do then...

Thanks again Everyone...

Cheers....:)Betty

I truly appreciate everyone's comments, they will help shape my trip next week.

I'd love to hit up the Crystal Caves, but I get the sense it might be a bit overwhelming for me since it's such a crowded/confined space.

I'm excited for St. Catherine's beach to check out the sea glass. Is Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine's walkable from where the ferry docks - or is a cab/bus necessary? About how far is the trip?

Thanks again!

I'm going to guess the Tobacco Bay/St Catherine's beach areas (they are 5 minutes apart) are about a mile from town - the walk is up and over a decent sized hill, and depending on your pace takes about 20 minutes from the ferry.

As for Chrystal Caves, we did go

there, too, and they are definitely worth seeing. I didn't feel claustrophopic down there, but the caves are not as "open" as many of the others I've visited over the years. Evidently Beyonce was recently down there looking at it as a location for a music video, so it's fairly roomy. :)

purelygeneric wrote: .....I'm excited for St. Catherine's beach to check out the sea glass....

Actually, the sea glass is located at Fort Alexandra which is about a 15 minutes walk from St. Catherine's Beach. Just walk by SCB and keep the water on your left side and you'll eventually reach FA. As you face SA, the sea glass is on your left on the water side of a cement sea wall. It is best to be there at low tide so a small cave is better exposed where a lot of the sea glass is located. When you leave FA, keep the water on your left at all times and you'll reach St George's in 10 - 15 minutes of walking.

SBtS

purelygeneric wrote: .....I'm excited for St. Catherine's beach to check out the sea glass....

Actually, the sea glass is located at Fort Alexandra which is about a 15 minutes walk from St. Catherine's Beach. Just walk by SCB and keep the water on your left side and you'll eventually reach FA. As you face SA, the sea glass is on your left on the water side of a cement sea wall. It is best to be there at low tide so a small cave is better exposed where a lot of the sea glass is located. When you leave FA, keep the water on your left at all times and you'll reach St George's in 10 - 15 minutes of walking.

SBtS

Just wanted to clear up things regarding what exactly "sea glass" is.... it's broken bottles! Not coral or shells or any other naturally occurring phenomena! It's very weird how people are getting excited to find these pieces of glass debree that are worn and smoothed away in the sea over time. They might look pretty after aged but they still are just broken pieces of glass.

I read on a past post that this whole sea glass collecting idea is just Bermuda's way of getting rid of trash. They cart out all their glass trash in a boat out to sea and dump it. After it washes to shore as sea glass, tourists collect it and bring it home with them, thus basically bringing home Bermuda's glass waste with them. Hmmmmmmm:confused:

We were on the 6/27th trip and in St. Georges we hired a cab. He took us to the fort where our teen girls collected glass (see my other post under "sea glass is trash"), then went to a pink sand beach to collect some of that and watch the parrot fish in the waves, a drive by the "rich" areas (not worth seeing, IMHO), and then on to the caves. A nice tour with a great guy. No claustrophobia in either...and Fantasy was nice 'cause there were only 6 of us (our party) on that tour, so it was slow and relaxed. We opted for both caves because we were there and it was HOT. If I was limited in time or energy (more than 80 stairs EACH), I'd skip Fantasy...but they were both nice. Took a second cab back to the ship. The first cab had us for about 2 hours and charged $60 (for 6 of us!). The second was less than $30 (on the meter).

I read on a past post that this whole sea glass collecting idea is just Bermuda's way of getting rid of trash. They cart out all their glass trash in a boat out to sea and dump it. After it washes to shore as sea glass, tourists collect it and bring it home with them, thus basically bringing home Bermuda's glass waste with them.

Brilliant! I love it.

Archived