Is Caribbean Princess that bad recently?

cruisingfamilyuk

Hi

Been following this board and the reviews on various Princess ships and find it remarkable the number of poor reviews of the Caribbean princess recently, over a period of time there are lots of 4* or 5 * but recently a spate of 1* reviews?

I know that all the reviews are from the same cruise "around Britain" which was delayed by mechanical problems and missed 2 ports of call. Liverpool & Edinburgh.

I know how frustrating it is to miss ports of call, but sometimes it is unavoidable, and just one of those things. I also agree $75 OBC as compensation is pretty poor, but does this justify the slating on the reviews of the actual ship?

Strangely every one of these posters make the point that Liverpool was their main port of call for them? believe me Liverpool has little to offer!

Maybe i am cynical? but may it just be that there are a group passengers that have sort allegiance and are stressing the point to Princess that they were disappointed? in an effort to gain a better compensation deal?

I would be interested in hearing the views of recent travellers of the Caribbean Princess who weren't on this ill fated itinery.

Many thanks

I also have noticed all the bad reviews because we will be on her for three cruises this fall. As with anything else, you have ten people doing something and they all will have different feelings about it. For some reason, when people miss a port, they get very upset and then only talk about the negatives of the trip and blame everything on the cruiseline. Not sure but it sounded like some of them felt they deserved more than $75 for the missed ports. It's like they want a refund for the entire cruise.

Hi

Been following this board and the reviews on various Princess ships and find it remarkable the number of poor reviews of the Caribbean princess recently, over a period of time there are lots of 4* or 5 * but recently a spate of 1* reviews?

I know that all the reviews are from the same cruise "around Britain" which was delayed by mechanical problems and missed 2 ports of call. Liverpool & Edinburgh.

I know how frustrating it is to miss ports of call, but sometimes it is unavoidable, and just one of those things. I also agree $75 OBC as compensation is pretty poor, but does this justify the slating on the reviews of the actual ship?

Strangely every one of these posters make the point that Liverpool was their main port of call for them? believe me Liverpool has little to offer!

Maybe i am cynical? but may it just be that there are a group passengers that have sort allegiance and are stressing the point to Princess that they were disappointed? in an effort to gain a better compensation deal?

I would be interested in hearing the views of recent travellers of the Caribbean Princess who weren't on this ill fated itinery.

Many thanks

CB is an excellent ship. Have you followed the current live thread??

What reviews are you talking about and waht issues are you concerned with?

Missed ports are not uncommon.

If your only goal is looking to score OBC because of issues/missed ports with the ship then you may want to try another cruiseline?

We missed Victoria earlier this month, however our experience did not ride on whether we made any stop or not.

Hey ater all we were on a cruise!

I see numerous posts on the same thing from the poster above on the public restroom thing.

It seems to be a sticking point for that passenger, however they don't say anything about rest of their cruise.

cruisingfamilyuk

You said "Liverpool has nothing to offer."

Where are you from? where have you been?

Read the CC reviews from the people that have visited Liverpool they rate it so highly. So all these reviewers are wrong?

Have you ever seen the Tripadvisor Awards for 2011 & 2012 Liverpool has been voted in the top 10 UK destinations & in 2012 is No 3 after London & Edinburgh. So on your reckoning the people who voted for Liverpool, vote because there is nothing to offer.

Again you may be just a wind-up merchant.

I sailed on the CB last September to Canada/NE. We had good weather, except for St John which was rather foggy. I'm sure if I go and look at the reviews of our sailing there will be mention of the fog horn early in the am.

Also the early docking at Halifax to get a sick passenger off.

I had not been on a Princess cruise since 1995 and I was very pleased with the ship, crew and the food. Entertainment was a little lacking, but if I want Broadway shows I would just go to NYC. Only thing I would do differently is do Traditional Dining, I think it might work on Princess, but that early 5:30 TD kind of messes the AD up. But that's just my opinion.

My parents took us on a NYE cruise, and we missed one island that my mom wanted to see, as it was a tender port and the conditions were too windy. Her response, life happens, didn't run to try to get an OBC. Just gave her an excuse to book another cruise!:D

There are many negative reviews over on the review board not this discussion board.

And yes I think that a group of cruisers got upset early in the cruise and let everything bother them afterwards.

I do look forward to seeing other reviews to see if the criticism continues.

Just noticed that this is the OP's 2nd post and the first one was about the ship being sold out.

Sorry - could it be - just a thought - maybe he wants people to cancel because of the bad posts so he can get a nice cabin.

It's really hot and I'm tired - sorry if I am out of line.

Husband and I took the Transatlantic from San Juan to Southampton this spring. Of all the Princess cruises we have ever taken (this being the 7th), I can honestly say it had the worst food I have ever had on a Princess cruise and it ranked 2nd worst I have ever had (worst being on my one and only RC cruise).

Hi

Hmmm, the Liverpool I have visited is a very exciting, vibrant cosmopolitan port of call with a HUGE amount for a visitor to see. A very short walk from the Pier Head will take you to the Albert Dock complex, the Maritime Museum, the wonderful Museum of Liverpool, the Walker Art Gallery, the fantastic shopping at Liverpool One, the various beatles experiences, etc etc etc

So no, I think Liverpool has a lot to offer.

Husband and I took the Transatlantic from San Juan to Southampton this spring. Of all the Princess cruises we have ever taken (this being the 7th), I can honestly say it had the worst food I have ever had on a Princess cruise and it ranked 2nd worst I have ever had (worst being on my one and only RC cruise).

I have found the food on repo cruises sub-par as compared to other cruises. Seems like they are trying to empty out before their summer or winter season starts.

We were may 26 cruise - no complaints (see delorean girl review). There are a few compaints from the june 7 trip - mainly the result of the delay and missed ports. BUT if yousee there were 100+ on the roll call and only I believe 4 complalints and most about things that if they asked thewir room steward, the room related complaints could have been resolved.

I have noticed that when there is a mostly negative thread, it's the same people, for the most part. In fact, there are 2 posters who I actually looked up past posts to see if they ever said anything good, and the answer is no. Generally it was all complaints and absolutely no positive points. Nothing is all good or all bad, and some people are incapable of letting go of a disappointment or less than satisfactory experience and enjoying the positives. I really have reached a point where I have to stop reading because my blood pressure won't take it.

I am boarding the CB at the end of October for 2 cruises. My last 2 were so wonderful that I never hesitated to book these. I sail solo and am constantly busy, I meet wonderful people, eat great food and take advantage of every sea day program that interests me, or I read and rest.

And, by the way, Compozer, I did not get the impression that OP was trying to get people to cancel so he could get a nice room. You were kidding, right? I got a positive vibe from him (or her). And since OP lives in GB, I think he or she has a right to like or dislike an area there.

I hope a lot of the negativity stops soon. A simple thing can generate 5 pages of bile. I don't think it helps the cruise line that folks claim to love so much. I saw that several people canceled their cruises on another line because of engine problems one of the ships had that canceled a cruise.

Hi

Many thanks

What an odd comment to make, cruisingfamilyuk, is this comment really based on your personal experience? The port of Liverpool is an amazing port, there is so much to do and see, passengers will be spoiled for choice. so I am not at all surprised that they are disappointed if it is missed out. Edinburgh too is a city stuffed with history and culture.

cruisingfamilyuk

You said "Liverpool has nothing to offer."

Where are you from? where have you been?

Read the CC reviews from the people that have visited Liverpool they rate it so highly. So all these reviewers are wrong?

Have you ever seen the Tripadvisor Awards for 2011 & 2012 Liverpool has been voted in the top 10 UK destinations & in 2012 is No 3 after London & Edinburgh. So on your reckoning the people who voted for Liverpool, vote because there is nothing to offer.

Again you may be just a wind-up merchant.

I agree, liverpoollad.

Hmmm, the Liverpool I have visited is a very exciting, vibrant cosmopolitan port of call with a HUGE amount for a visitor to see. A very short walk from the Pier Head will take you to the Albert Dock complex, the Maritime Museum, the wonderful Museum of Liverpool, the Walker Art Gallery, the fantastic shopping at Liverpool One, the various beatles experiences, etc etc etc

So no, I think Liverpool has a lot to offer.

Additionally, klmay, there is also hop on hop off bus tours that will take passengers around the city including to the two iconic cathederals at each end of Hope Street, both free to pop into and have a look round. The catholic one (known affectionally as Paddy's Wigwam), is my personal favourite. I find it calming and spiritually uplifting just walking around.

I could go on, but you get the picture!

A few years ago I was on P&O ship Aurora which had to miss out one of the Icelandic ports due to a problem with one of the propellers. All four of us (two adults, two kids) got £100 each OBC.

I have found the food on repo cruises sub-par as compared to other cruises. Seems like they are trying to empty out before their summer or winter season starts.

My TA about 15 yrs ago mentioned the same thing about repositioning cruises. She had done a few and thought that is what they do.

My TA about 15 yrs ago mentioned the same thing about repositioning cruises. She had done a few and thought that is what they do.

It's totally ridiculous to believe that a cruise ship has extra food lying about to feed 3,000 people left over scraps before a new season. :p

We were may 26 cruise - no complaints (see delorean girl review). There are a few compaints from the june 7 trip - mainly the result of the delay and missed ports. BUT if yousee there were 100+ on the roll call and only I believe 4 complalints and most about things that if they asked thewir room steward, the room related complaints could have been resolved.

We too were on this cruise and have nothing but praise for the ship and it's crew. It seems the cruise with poor reviews followed ours and may have more to do with operational issues. We were very fortunate, everything went like clockwork, apart from poor organisation with the tenders back on our first port call. We sail on the ship again in September and can't wait to be onboard again. Beautiful ship, lovely food, great staff, why we love cruising.

What a pleasant surprise Liverpool was for us a couple of years ago!! It was a delightful city and we'd not hesitate to go back.

As for the Caribbean Princess, I'm looking forward to testing her out in August for 26 days, including a transatlantic. I hope they have some tasty leftover scraps for us to eat!! :)

cruisingfamilyuk.

Come on where are you from ????? Southampton???? Wind-up City????

My wife & I are also on the CB 20th July, we can have a friendly discussion on board:D. drinking our £4.60 pint or glass of wine:mad:

Go on tell us, what has Liverpool not got to offer:confused:

Cheers

cruisingfamilyuk.

Come on where are you from ????? Southampton???? Wind-up City????

My wife & I are also on the CB 20th July, we can have a friendly discussion on board:D. drinking our £4.60 pint or glass of wine:mad:

Go on tell us, what has Liverpool not got to offer:confused:

Cheers

The OP probably hasn't been to Liverpool since the Toxteth riots in the early eighties, and still thinks everyone in Liverpool is a thieving scouser wearing shellsuits with curly hair, and constantly saying 'Calm Down, Calm Down'.....;);)

PS.. See you also onboard on the 20th, not long to go now......:D

We were on the 5/3/2012 N.Y. to Southamton cruise. We are going on the 10/31/12

N.Y. FLL. Repo. The biggest gripe I use to see was the Ship was too crowded on the

summer cruises sailing out of N.Y. . Our cruise was about 700 below capacity, so

I will see what happens in Oct. .We have been on Emerald with a full ship and it was ok. Maybe summer sailings with kids made it more crowded.

We thought food was very good, so it's the ol food opinion thing as usual. Crew was

great. That is why we are going again. We were on Veendam recently. We had

plumbing troubles for 1 1/2 days. I will take my chances with Princess in the future. I

know all ships can have this issue.

We were on the May 26th British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess. For every handful of good reviews, you'll get twice as many negative reviews. "It's always easier to complain than to compliment", for some people. Especially when they are on a message board hidden behind text. ;)

The cruise before us missed a port and had less than pleasant weather. The cruise after us had mechanical problems, two missed ports, and cold weather. Our cruise was apparently the fluke sailing which had fantastic weather (or so I thought) and zero mechanical problems.

It really depends on who you talk to. If I read all of those Member Reviews, I would never sail on the Caribbean Princess. But you have to take a chance. Cruises lay out everything they have for you, it's up to the passenger to make the most of it. Some people roll with the punches better than others. Does it suck to miss ports? Absolutely! Is it less than thrilling to have stormy weather? Sure.

Don't let the negative reviews stop you from cruising on this particular ship. One person from two months back might cite improperly working features or bad waiter service. But another person from two weeks ago might have had a fabulous time. Think of how nervous the April 1st people were when they didn't even know if the ship was going to move at all for their sailing (the first trip back after being down for two weeks).

I'm not trying to blow off Caribbean Pricness' problems. She's had some issues and I really hope Princess will drydock her or take a good look at her mechanical issues so that something else doesn't happen in the near future.

The 12 days we were on her were filled with comfortable amenities, great food, pleasant crew, a phenomenal itinerary, and amazing weather. This can change from week to week, but she's still a great ship and very worthy of you sailing on her. Every itinerary is different, too. She might be a loud, crazy ship for the Caribbean sailings and a quiet, subdued ship for British Isles or Norway. It's all in the eye of the beholder, really.

P.S. Liverpool was a port that we didn't know much about, and it ended up being one of our favorite ports. The people there are wonderful, the architecture is beautiful, and we spent more hours on land in this port than the others. Go figure.

:o

We were on the CB Transatlantic from NY to Southampton May 3 to 14.

The cruise was overall a very positive experience. The weather could have been better - taking a more southerly route meant we had all of one hour to walk around Dublin. But that's not the fault of Princess.

The service on the ship was excellent, best of 10 cruises we've been on.

The food in the MDR was fine, not better or worse than the other 3 Princess experiences.

I did notice one toilet out of function. Yes, no satellite TV during the crossing, but it was a minor annoyance.

No, overall, we loved the cruise on CB and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Archived