Everything you ever wanted to know about the Allure Internet

reedl

I am on the Allure right now, and here is what I have learned about the internet.

- For unlimited it is $179 for one device at a time.

- There is a 60 minute package that costs $29.95. The 60 minutes is usable at any time period on the whole week. So if all you want to do is check email, that would work well.

- They also have a 24 hour pass, which costs $49.95 but if you want to access for three days, it costs $150 which is almost the same price as umlimited.

- SKYPE (even video) works pretty well. You get about 5 FPS but it is better than not working.

- Facetime also works.

- iMessage works.

- VPN connections do not work.

- XM Radio works quite nicely, and is a great way to get music in your cabin.

- You cannot communicate between devices unless you have a paid plan for each device. Just associating with the access point does not give you across ship access to other devices. Since I only have one paid subscription, I cannot test pinging across devices on the ship, but I would believe that for security reasons they have that turned off.

The speed is around 300 kbps down and up.

Any other questions, ask away.

I am on the Allure right now, and here is what I have learned about the internet.

- There is a 60 minute package that costs $29.95. The 60 minutes is usable at any time period on the whole week. So if all you want to do is check email, that would work well.

- They also have a 24 hour pass, which costs $49.95 but if you want to access for three days, it costs $150 which is almost the same price as umlimited.

- SKYPE (even video) works pretty well. You get about 5 FPS but it is better than not working.

- Facetime also works.

- iMessage works.

- You cannot communicate between devices unless you have a paid plan for each device. Just associating with the access point does not give you across ship access to other devices. Since I only have one paid subscription, I cannot test pinging across devices on the ship, but I would believe that for security reasons they have that turned off.

Thanks for the update!

Are there any multi-device (family) packages available?

Thanks for the update!

Are there any multi-device (family) packages available?

There was no mention of any multi-device packages, other than if you want more than one device, you need to purchase another plan with a different folio ID.

Also the way the one device works, is if you login on another device, the first will now be denied access to the internet. So it is a last in can use it. Not a good idea to give a single account to multiple kids since they will kick each other off each time they log in.

There was no mention of any multi-device packages, other than if you want more than one device, you need to purchase another plan with a different folio ID.

Also the way the one device works, is if you login on another device, the first will now be denied access to the internet. So it is a last in can use it. Not a good idea to give a single account to multiple kids since they will kick each other off each time they log in.

Interesting. There was a multi-device family plan last February, but apparently they have removed it. Thanks again.

- Facetime also works.

- iMessage works.

We had 5 mgps download speed on Adventure in May that is 15 times faster.

We had 5 mgps download speed on Adventure in May that is 15 times faster.

There is probably a fair use device on this ship that only gives the speeds it gives to everyone to prevent someone from overloading the downlink connection.

This way they can sell unlimited service and prevent someone from streaming netflix for hours at a time and affecting others.

- Facetime also works.

- iMessage works.

Please keep us updated. Others have reported that later in the cruise, "specials" appeared.

:)

I know but I was told by a RCC rep to find out from my carrier about using my phone over international waters in addition to the wifi charge.

My carrier (AT&T) had a cruise package available for our iphone including when we visited an international port.A quick easy phone call to them and they set it up. Also just make sure you turn off the roaming data feature. We also had 45min each free wifi onboard with our C&A level...so this worked very well for us.

Did you check with your carrier before you left to find out if you were going to be charged international roaming fees?

The first thing I did was to turn off cellular data on all my devices. At $20 a megabyte it is too expensive. I bought the AT&T cruise ship package for $30 that gives me 50 minutes of talk and each additional minute is $1. But I will probably not even use it since Skype works perfectly. I have skypeout that lets me call regular phones and both my kids have phones with Skype running so calls are free. We actually video chatted for at least a half hour without issues..

Incoming texts are also free, so that works, but also since iMessage uses the data connection, I can send and receive unlimited amounts of messages

I am really sorry, I feel very stupid but I'm just not "tech savvy" enough :eek: and I want to clarify:

1) We have AT&T so it sounds like we can contact them ahead of time and set up an international plan? Is this just texting or is it data as well - all apps, i.e. Facebook with messaging, etc?

2) If we have that do we still need to purchase a package on the ship?

3) If all we want to do it text our kids and check emails and Fb messaging will this work?

Again, I'm sorry for the stupid questions, but I know the experienced CC community has the answers and I appreciate the help! :)

- Facetime also works.

- iMessage works.

Crap, they are blocking VPN? So can't use it for work for in case emergency support is needed.

How about logmein? Does it work?

I am really sorry, I feel very stupid but I'm just not "tech savvy" enough :eek: and I want to clarify:

1) We have AT&T so it sounds like we can contact them ahead of time and set up an international plan? Is this just texting or is it data as well - all apps, i.e. Facebook with messaging, etc?

2) If we have that do we still need to purchase a package on the ship?

3) If all we want to do it text our kids and check emails and Fb messaging will this work?

Again, I'm sorry for the stupid questions, but I know the experienced CC community has the answers and I appreciate the help! :)

AT&T's international data plan does not cover cruise ships. AT&T has a separate plan for cruise ships. There are several choices, one that includes data. However, if you turn data on (FB messaging, etc.), you will likely blow out of your data quickly. Try to stay with short texts (no videos or photos attached) and you will save much money.

I am using PPTP VPN which is hosted in my house on a Linux box. It works most places, but I have found a few times where it did not work.

As to the last three days, they offer a $69.95 package for unlimited for three days.

As I said, the internet is not fast, but it does work acceptably for email, browsing, and skype..

I am using PPTP VPN which is hosted in my house on a Linux box. It works most places, but I have found a few times where it did not work.

As to the last three days, they offer a $69.95 package for unlimited for three days.

As I said, the internet is not fast, but it does work acceptably for email, browsing, and skype..

Thanks for keeping us up to date.:)

Can you clarify for the last 3 days, does it include the disembarkation day?

Thank you for all the information - do you know what type of Diamond Plus Discount they give off the all inclusive rate of $179.00?

Enjoy your cruise -

Unless it's changed recently, D+ get 25% off.

Archived