Proof of citizenship crisis!

Fivehole

Friend due to board ship on Sunday. Totally dropped the ball on citizenship docs - thought military ID was enough. Sent birth certs in with passport application, didn't come back in time. So now they don't have birth certs or passports, but do have US Military ID. Anyone have any ideas?? or are they simply out of luck/money on this one.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Friend due to board ship on Sunday. Totally dropped the ball on citizenship docs - thought military ID was enough. Sent birth certs in with passport application, didn't come back in time. So now they don't have birth certs or passports, but do have US Military ID. Anyone have any ideas?? or are they simply out of luck/money on this one.

Do they live in the state where the birth certificates were issued? The only thing that I can think of is to physically go to the office where they are issued and pick one up. Not sure if the vitalcheck website would be able to process it in time for Sunday.

I presume they did not keep a copy of the birth certificate anywhere? (Or is there a place where they had to provide a copy that they could get?) (Military ID only works when coupled with military orders.)

Edited by sparks1093

This must be posted here twice or more per month. I will never understand it how folks "overlook" this very important detail.

Read the travel doc requirements: http://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Call NCL.

While NCL's site doesn't expressly prohibit military ID (it lists three examples), RCCL says this:

CRUISES FROM A UNITED STATES PORT

<snip>

NOTE: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are NOT acceptable. Military identification cards, voter registration cards or Social Security cards are NOT considered proof of citizenship.

I'm betting on "out of luck"...

Edited by triptolemus

Frantically trying to see if they can locate another copy. Vitalchek takes too long. Thanks for the tips!

Maybe the agency responsible for issuing the birth certificates would be willing to fax a copy to them? Is their base close by? A copy of my birth certificate was kept in my personnel record.

Edited by sparks1093

This must be posted here twice or more per month. I will never understand it how folks "overlook" this very important detail.

Read the travel doc requirements: http://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Call NCL.

While NCL's site doesn't expressly prohibit military ID (it lists three examples), RCCL says this:

I'm betting on "out of luck"...

Agree!

When you cruise you make your final payment 90 days before your cruise or immediately if the cruise is less than 90 days. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPagesPopup.html?pageId=PaymentSchedulePopup

The time to get your personal documentation together is before making your final payment.

Do consider getting a passport. A US passport is good for 10 years and is the best proof of citizenship and identify. When you consider the cost of possibly missing your cruise the cost of a passport is minimal.

Edited by kcwingwalker

Agree!

When you cruise you make your final payment 90 days before your cruise or immediately if the cruise is less than 90 days.

The time to get your personal documentation together is before making your final payment.

The whole thing is akin to not reading the instructions on a pack of toilet paper...

Your profile doesn't say which state you live in, but in RI it takes a minimum of 5 business days to get a copy of certificiate of birth if you pay an additional rush fee and go through the dept of health.

If you go through the town in which it was registered - SUPPOSEDLY you can get it done same day (not a certified copy) but I can not attest to that being true or not.

Sorry.

It's really too bad that more people ignore the information that's so readily available on the NCL website and any other travel site.

I'm afraid I'm with the others who think your friends could very well have missed the boat (pun intended)on this one.

Agree!

When you cruise you make your final payment 90 days before your cruise or immediately if the cruise is less than 90 days. http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPagesPopup.html?pageId=PaymentSchedulePopup

Do consider getting a passport. A US passport is good for 10 years and is the best proof of citizenship and identify. When you consider the cost of possibly missing your cruise the cost of a passport is minimal.

The OP's friends mailed off their birth certificates with their passport application, so they are getting one. Just not in time for this cruise (and unfortunately they didn't think about not having the BC available for this cruise).

So, I am guessing they did not do the online registration as well?!

You did not say how long ago the passport app was submitted. Usually takes 6 to 8 weeks or 2 to 3 if they paid for an expedited one. Are they beyond or close to that date?

Call 877-487-2778 the National Passport Information Center to see if they can check the status of the app or offer any suggestions. If they are near one of the 25 National Passport agencies, with an appointment they might be able to get one same day.

If the passport does not make it, their only option is to get a certified copy of the birth certificate from the county of birth. I'd start working on that now, just in case. If possible, go in person to the office, usually at the county government center, or if not local, call the Vital Stats office and inquire if they can overnight one. Good luck.

You did not say how long ago the passport app was submitted. Usually takes 6 to 8 weeks or 2 to 3 if they paid for an expedited one. Are they beyond or close to that date?

Call 877-487-2778 the National Passport Information Center to see if they can check the status of the app or offer any suggestions. If they are near one of the 25 National Passport agencies, with an appointment they might be able to get one same day.

If the passport does not make it, their only option is to get a certified copy of the birth certificate from the county of birth. I'd start working on that now, just in case. If possible, go in person to the office, usually at the county government center, or if not local, call the Vital Stats office and inquire if they can overnight one. Good luck.

The first sentence of the original post is:

"Friend due to board ship on Sunday."

This is Friday afternoon...obviously too late to do anything you suggested.

The first sentence of the original post is:

"Friend due to board ship on Sunday."

This is Friday afternoon...obviously too late to do anything you suggested.

If the county offices are open today or Saturday am, I would not see why they could just not walk in there and get one, assuming they are close enough to do so. I have done it more than once. The 800 number may be able to tell them if the passport app has been completed and mailed. It may indeed be too late, but suggestions never hurt.

Unless they can go get a birth certificate in person same day, they friend is out of luck.

If one original name remains on the reservation, you might be able to change that friend's name to the name of somebody with appropriate documentation. If you have the right sub, it is worth asking if they'll do a name change at this late date.

If the county offices are open today or Saturday am, I would not see why they could just not walk in there and get one, assuming they are close enough to do so. I have done it more than once. The 800 number may be able to tell them if the passport app has been completed and mailed. It may indeed be too late, but suggestions never hurt.

County offices open on Saturday? Around here you're lucky if they're open on weekdays when they're supposed to be. :rolleyes:

And what good does it do to know if the passport is in the mail? The only thing that matters is if you have it in your hands. Calling the number isn't going to change when the passport will arrive. They can't tell you when it's expected to arrive. Maybe they'll get it later today or maybe tomorrow, or maybe next Wednesday when it's too late.

What a disaster for this friend! :( It would have been so easy to make a photocopy or scan or even just snap a cell-phone photo of the birth certificate before mailing off the original… I would be kicking myself so hard so many times. :(

And was this their very first passport application? I'm asking because if they have an expired US passport lying around somewhere, that will usually be accepted as proof of citizenship.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Agree!

I have to laugh at your telling him to get a passport -- his problem was caused by his passport not getting back in time, and the birth certificate was sent with the passport application.

I have to laugh at your telling him to get a passport -- his problem was caused by his passport not getting back in time, and the birth certificate was sent with the passport application.

Nice of you to laugh the wording was meant for those (not the OP) who have not applied or renewed their passport. Simply poorly worded on my part. Silly of me but I'm happy to admit when I've goofed.

Edited by kcwingwalker

What a disaster for this friend! :( It would have been so easy to make a photocopy or scan or even just snap a cell-phone photo of the birth certificate before mailing off the original… I would be kicking myself so hard so many times. :(

And was this their very first passport application? I'm asking because if they have an expired US passport lying around somewhere, that will usually be accepted as proof of citizenship.

Would that have helped??

Doesn't NCL require the original BC to board?? I've never sailed them without a passport - so I might be wrong, but I didn't think a photo copy or photo would be accepted. :o

if they have an expired US passport lying around somewhere, that will usually be accepted as proof of citizenship.

I wouldn't count on that, because once, when I was on a Royal cruise, I met a woman who was denied boarding because she mistakenly brought her old, expired passport with her instead of her brand new one. She had to go home, get her brand new passport and fly to San Juan, the first port of call, to board the ship.