Visa For Australia & New Zealand.

gingernick

Hi Guys, we will be cruising in November 2016 from Perth Australia and visiting New Zealand before returning to Australia. What visa or eta will we require. Length of stay less than 31 days. We are UK residents and passport holders. Many thanks, Nick.

I know that for US citizens Australia requires what is called an Electronic Travel Authority, which you apply for on-line and you get it within a day or so. New Zealand has no visa requirement for tourists, just need a valid passport.

I would think that the requirements for UK residents would be the same, and maybe not even an ETA for Australia since it's a part of the British Commonwealth, correct?

Hi Guys, we will be cruising in November 2016 from Perth Australia and visiting New Zealand before returning to Australia. What visa or eta will we require. Length of stay less than 31 days. We are UK residents and passport holders. Many thanks, Nick.
This is what I use although I am a USA citizen. https://easyeta.com/ I believe it works for UK folks also. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Our Travel Agent only needed our Flight information for our family and she got our Visas for us. We had no paperwork to bring, it was linked to our flights to Sydney but learned something new regarding going to NZ.

There is no Visa requirement for US Citizens when traveling to NZ.

Edited by cruisenfever

Just FYI the OP is from the UK where there is no charge for an Australian visa.

The is from the UK GOV travel website.

"You need a visa to travel to Australia. British citizens can get the following types of electronic visitor visa:

1. eVisitor visa direct from the Department of Immigration & Border Protection. There is no visa application charge or service fee for this;

2. Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) via your travel agent or airline. There is no visa application charge, but a service fee of A$20 applies"

The ETA is "free" but $20 AUD after the service fee

You have your choice of 1 or 2. I don't know the convenience of getting the e-visa since I'm from the USA, where we only have the choice of an ETA. But if getting it is just as convenient and easy as getting the ETA, then go for it :)

EDIT:

Okay I found the link for #1, here you go and as Bobal said, it's free for UK citizens. We, from the USA, can only get the $20 AUD ETA.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi/Visitor-visas/eVisitor-online-application

Edited by BPyser1

Don't have info for New Zealand but for Australia, an e-visa (free) is required - I think it's a 651 category and it's linked to your passport. I applied for mine on 2/11/14 and it was granted the following day!

EMAIL: eVisitor.Helpdesk@immi.gov.au WEBSITE: http://www.immi.gov.au

The is from the UK GOV travel website.

"You need a visa to travel to Australia. British citizens can get the following types of electronic visitor visa:

1. eVisitor visa direct from the Department of Immigration & Border Protection. There is no visa application charge or service fee for this;

2. Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) via your travel agent or airline. There is no visa application charge, but a service fee of A$20 applies"

The ETA is "free" but $20 AUD after the service fee

You have your choice of 1 or 2. I don't know the convenience of getting the e-visa since I'm from the USA, where we only have the choice of an ETA. But if getting it is just as convenient and easy as getting the ETA, then go for it :)

EDIT:

Okay I found the link for #1, here you go and as Bobal said, it's free for UK citizens. We, from the USA, can only get the $20 AUD ETA.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi/Visitor-visas/eVisitor-online-application

For UK applicants the official site is confusing. Start your application and you will find the UK is NOT listed as a valid home country :confused: Elsewhere on the site it states UK applicants should use a travel agent or airline to apply for their ETA or try to apply for another visa type such as E-visitor. however that E-visitor has a charge :confused::confused:

I ended up using a visa application company recommended by my cruiseline. They provided an ETA but charged for doing it.

You can't check the application online either as you need an application code and that belongs to the visa provider and they are not going to tell you it!. I trust that as the provider process many hundreds if not thousands of ETA's per year all will go well when I get to the airport :eek:

Patti, after reading that in the above posts, I hadn't known that, and assumed Visas were needed for both, so always room for learning.:) We spent most of our trip cruising NZ but did spend 11 days pre & post in Sydney Australia before continuing our cruise back to Honolulu and home in 2014.

Gay

TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUERY SPECIFICALLY :

For United Kingdom Passport Holders visting short term for Tourist Purposes:

1. AUSTRALIA - Electronic Visa required . Apply on line to Australian Government website . The Visa is FREE but a $ 20 admin fee is charged !!!

So it is not free, but costs you $ 20 pp.

2. NEW ZEALAND - No visas required .

1. AUSTRALIA - Electronic Visa required . Apply on line to Australian Government website . The Visa is FREE but a $ 20 admin fee is charged !!!

The information about AUSTRALIA is only partially correct. The information that is correct is that, as a UK citizen, you can apply for an electronic visa and you can apply on the Australian Government website. The rest of the information is incorrect.

The correct information is that the visa you need (e-Visitor subclass 651) is FREE, FREE, FREE. No administrative charge is assessed.

See the details from the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection website: http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/651-

2. NEW ZEALAND - No visas required .

And SPECIFICALLY this information is WRONG. For UK citizens the visa is free with NO admin charge.

We just got ours a couple of weeks ago - no charge, no fee.

This thread has proved very useful :)

I had a visa provider apply for a ETA which they confirmed they had obtained but there was no way of me independently verifying this. I was worried I would get to the airport and find there was no visa :eek: They suggested I should contact the Australian Consulate!

Elsewhere someone suggested applying again online for an e-Visitor subclass 651 so I just tried it. About 80% through the application I got a message saying something like "Warning - you currently hold an Australian visa. If you continue with this application and a visa is granted the current visa will be invalid". At this point I cancelled the application.

At least I now know I have my ETA :) but wish I had read this topic before using a visa supplier and saved myself £20 :o

• 2 weeks later...