What to do in Sydney NS

mimijes

We will be in Sydney on September 29, from 10 am to 5 pm.

Anyone have suggestions for a good way to spend the time?

I have read that the Cabot Trail is beautiful, but long and twisty.

Is the Alexander G Bell museum worth the trip there?

Any comments on Celebrity's Sydney excursions?

Thanks!

We went to the Fortress at Louisbourg and had a nice day.

We went there also, and I want to return! It was great. We cruised in August last year, and we were able to experience the Fortress with all its costumed reenactors present. Here's a link to the Parks Canada Louisbourg site, particularly the Visitor Information page showing the Park's hours of operation and what you might expect to see when you go: http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/heures-hours.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Sydney is a lovely little city but unfortunately I feel it's one of the quietest tourist cities. Charlottetown, Saint John and Halifax have more things to do. However make the most of your trip to Sydney by walking the waterfront and you could even visit the cole miners museum. My grandfather worked down in the mines for years.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g609110-d1539376-Reviews-Cape_Breton_Miners_Museum-Glace_Bay_Cape_Breton_Island_Nova_Scotia.html

Not to disparage Sydney, but we found it quite lacking for a cruise port. But that is the city itself, there are quite a few things to do if you get out of the city. Rent a car and go, but for the city itself, and no disrespect meant to our posters from Sydney, it just wasn't one of my favorite places.

Cheers

Len

Not to disparage Sydney, but we found it quite lacking for a cruise port. But that is the city itself, there are quite a few things to do if you get out of the city. Rent a car and go, but for the city itself, and no disrespect meant to our posters from Sydney, it just wasn't one of my favorite places.

Cheers

Len

No offence taken. My moms side of the family is all from Sydney and I live a 5 hour drive in Halifax. In the past 8 years I've gone to Sydney a total of TWO times.... There really is very little to do.

That being said, it's a lovely place to just relax, rent a car, and take things slow.

Cheers

Len

I agree. It was our least favorite port on our recent HAL Veendam cruise. If you go to Fortress Louisbourg, go in the afternoon. There are more of the costumed re-en actors, if that's your thing, in the afternoon.

We visited Baddeck and the Alexander G. Bell Museum a few years ago (not on a cruise) - it was very interesting and the scenery in the area was beautiful. Fortress of Louisbourg was great too.

This year we will be in Sydney on a cruise in October - if the weather is decent we're thinking of renting bikes and visiting the Breton Brewery. Hubby is a big fan of craft beer. If it's cold or wet we will rent a car and explore instead.

We hired a taxi and went to Baddeck and then to Louisbourg to see the lighthouse.

I thought the lighthouse was great with views of the rugged shoreline.

It's about a 50 min car ride from the port.

I doubt the lighthouse is on many ship shore excursions as it is off of some very narrow and winding roads.

There was more to do in Baddeck but I was interested in seeing lighthouses.

We also had lunch at the Lobster Kettle in Louisbourg.

DSC_4835_zpshhgu118y.jpg

DSC_4852_zpsxnbtcplp.jpg

We rented a car from Budget (they pick you up and return you) and drove to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum which we thoroughly enjoyed--much more than we expected. (Be sure to borrow some of their kites and act like a kid again!) After a couple hours there, we drove down to Little Narrows, took the ferry across and then took a very scenic drive back to Sydney along Route 223.

This trip requires an early start and does not allow for a sit-down lunch anywhere. (We ate a snack at the museum cafe.) It was well-worth it to us, but if that doesn't appeal to you, I'd go to the museum and then spend some time puttering around Baddeck. It looked like a nice town as we drove through.