HARMONY - 12/3/2016 – Pro’s and Con’s.

Regardless of the below, we always have a good time on a cruise. So, such are just quick impressions; relative to Oasis/Allure and sometime Quantum/Anthem experiences.

PROS:

GREAT SHIP, like Oasis and Allure, with some nice tweaks from Quantum class. Simply the most diversified and thoughtful design there is. So much to do (slides nice additions), seems to be “a spot for everyone’s preference,” and just packed with options. If there is a general comparison to Quantum/Anthem is that those beautiful ships are ships; Oasis/Allure/Harmony are floating cities/resorts.

GREAT Promenade, Oasis class is the best.

GREAT Solarium, Oasis class is the best (a bit lacking in green, hanging sculptures or something, but really nice), definitely more “airy” glass design (still pretty hot on port days if no wind); and one QUESTION for RCCL ~ just how much would it cost to have glass designs fully powered to open and close on demand/conditions?

GREAT Hot Tubs, by the pools, in the two overhangs and in Solarium (little note, please fix the LED TV’s when they fail, especially if for the whole week, in each overhanging hot tub, or replace, couple hundred bucks to have a stand by).

GREAT Pools, water attractions, slides, mini-golf, courts, etc .

Love to see (1) Quantum/Anthems “sky dive” experience iFly, and (2) indoor combo activities park/bumper cars instead of the tennis/basketball court area and (3) big screen entertainment productions at least at one of the pools.

GREAT Walking/running track. The best at sea.

GREAT Dining specialty dining “options.”

GREAT Entertainment “options.”

CONS:

CREW - TOP TO BOTTOM

~ “Tone at the Top” starts with the Captain, and this is serious. The muster at our station was not taken seriously at all “by the crew.” We’ve never experienced a laughing, joking, ‘bring your drinks, cell phones, everyone talking throughout, mandatory seating overrun, handicapped areas OK for the parties with large drinks, and general ‘joke of a muster. IN THE REAL WORLD, the muster must instill in the passengers that, in such a situation, you BETTER KNOW we mean business. Why? Because should the unfortunate event arise, if passengers “blow off” the safety requirements and the crew from laughable musters, it will be devastating.

~ “Be HAPPY, or at least FAKE IT.” For the first two days, we heard “we’re sorry” “we’re over-worked” “we are not staffed” from Solarium bar and staff so much never went there again. Most unhappy bar staff ever encountered. But, it got worse. It would really be nice if, after observing bar staff coming out of the stalls in the men’s room, that they would wash their hands rather than not (two such).

~ Cancellation / rescheduling of Grease from 8 to 10:30 without communicating on App or email simply unacceptable and inconsiderate. Guest Services response that “it was on the day sheet” indicates the experience level of the GS staff encountered. After booking Grease when the ‘window opened, not another reservation available in the remaining shows. Didn’t get to see it. Bar and attendant staff said “done all the time, especially on Captains night in the Promenade.”

~ Port days, leave “something unique open each day.”

SPECIALTY FOOD VENUES

Need to be consistent with the class ships and “our experiences and memories.”

~ Wonderland actually “enhanced” with location, décor and consistent food; an example of what should be expected at other venues.

~ Solarium Bistro in the evening (a complimentary venue), with the Mediterranean theme for the wide variety of apps, made the entries not even necessary for me on the first night. Wife had the flat iron steak, expectations low, was perfectly prepared, taste, texture and butter knife/for cut. Nice upgrade.

~ Jamie’s is Jamie’s; it is not Giovanni’s (our all time favorite). However, Jamie’s really gave us our best meal of the cruise and best service.

~ CHOPS was such a disappointment. As follows ~

***When we only will give you our entrée order when you “promise” not to start it until we say OK, we mean it. Chops is not a McDonald’s drive-through. Especially when 20% of the inside tables are empty and 90% of the outside tables the same, with no waiting line.

***When you’re used to COLOSSAL SHRIMP COCKTAILS upright in a steel cup and get a 3 bag-frozen look-a-likes on ice in a Martini glass; that is called FOOD COST DOWNSIZING. That’s fine, just don’t charge the same, never mind more. And at least tell us when ordering when we ‘gloat about can’t wait for the colossal shrimp.

***When you’re used to a very thick filet and get what looked like a flat iron steak, and see both go by to other tables, you’ve got a similar issue. Filet cuts are for filets.

***When our waiter approaches you the following day, while “cleaning tables elsewhere,” to apologize for not telling us about the shrimp (food cost issue), and that he rejected the filet (cut incorrect for a Chops filet) and was told “wait until the customer rejects it,” then Corporate doesn’t get it. Repeat customers have memories (and photos); you just can’t get away with such inconsistencies.

***Medium-Rare means such throughout the cut; not well done on one side and seared/rare on the other.

TOWELS, TOWELS, TOWELS

We are not trying to steal the $3 towels; one day get 8 for 4 passengers with one card, days later need all passenger cards, day later, 4 okay for one card. TOWEL STATIONS…if you designed them in the various locations, STAFF THEM. Otherwise, we go to the ONE open and sometimes see 2 towel staff working and 6 talking to them. And whatever the CARD POLICY is, state it and stick with it. Not a problem on Quantum/Anthem.

ALL IN ALL, it's hard not to have a really, really good time on any cruise, not withstanding the above CONS.

We were on the Harmony 11/26 - 12/3 and I had the filet in Chops. It was by far the BEST filet I have ever had. Perfect cut, perfectly done! I normally have a hard time with getting a good filet anywhere these days, but on the Harmony it was perfect!

We never experienced the same cons you stated above. Just goes to show things like this can be subjective, and can vary from one cruise to another. I am glad that you did enjoy your cruise though.

We were on the Harmony 11/26 - 12/3 and I had the filet in Chops. It was by far the BEST filet I have ever had. Perfect cut, perfectly done! I normally have a hard time with getting a good filet anywhere these days, but on the Harmony it was perfect!

We never experienced the same cons you stated above. Just goes to show things like this can be subjective, and can vary from one cruise to another. I am glad that you did enjoy your cruise though.

Normally, Chops is the best filet I have at sea also. I wasn't trying to be "subjective," my point was the "inconsistency." A couple at the table adjoining our table had the same quality filet's that you had and that I had expected.

Another foursome on the way out the one filet looked like the one I had.

Again, just noting the inconsistency, which was the first time on all of our RCCL cruises and Chops. Also, had never had a server approach us later in the cruise and apologize. It was welcomed, but odd.

Again, we'll cruise Oasis Class and Quantum Class ships numerous times per year for the next couple of years. The overall experience is really great.

Ugh, the towel thing. We're going on Harmony in May and that is one of the things I'm NOT looking forward to. I kinda understand why they do it but :rolleyes: I know RC isn't a luxury line but I still consider a cruise a pretty expensive vacation. And checking out towels just seems so bush league and Motel 6

Disappointing about Chops too. I'm pretty easy to please but I would be livid if I got a thin filet then saw big thick filets being carried past me to other people. Hopefully it's not the norm. Did you speak to the Chops management and let them know you weren't happy? Did they reduce your bill at all?

Ugh, the towel thing. We're going on Harmony in May and that is one of the things I'm NOT looking forward to. I kinda understand why they do it but :rolleyes: I know RC isn't a luxury line but I still consider a cruise a pretty expensive vacation. And checking out towels just seems so bush league and Motel 6

I spoke to several pool management staff, but learned more from other cruisers. It appears that the towel issue is a real benefit (1) to control lounge 'savers with pool towels left there requiring staff to monitor and remove and (2) requires less staff to pick up thousands of towels everyday.

I don't mind the towel checkout, but if I have 2-4 in my stateroom and I have my card, I think I can responsibly check out two towels for each person and take the responsibility to bring them back on the same card.

Along with fellow passengers, simply never figured out why all the towel stations aren't staffed, as previously stated, they seem to be lingering around the one open station that only two can operate.

Also, not open early enough for those of us early risers that really like the hot tubs before sunrise. Our stateroom attendant gave us 4 extra bath towels for the rest of the week for that purpose.

Disappointing about Chops too. I'm pretty easy to please but I would be livid if I got a thin filet then saw big thick filets being carried past me to other people. Hopefully it's not the norm. Did you speak to the Chops management and let them know you weren't happy? Did they reduce your bill at all?

Well, disappointed, but not livid. My wife is a gourmet cook so I am well taken care of. When out for dining, if something goes wrong, I just don't feel like getting worked up about it, sending it back, and changing the mood at the table. When my plate was noticed with one bite out of the 'meat, the restaurant manger talked to me, I made a cut to show the cook, and pointed out the other filet's at adjoining tables; he offered us a free return meal. We were fully booked for the cruise, said thanks. It kind of surprised him. I just got him to agree that 'it shouldn't have left the kitchen, and prior to that, it shouldn't have been cut and offered as a filet.

We learned some time ago to check out towels on the first day only.

As we leave the pool each day, we simply EXCHANGE the towels for new ones. You don't need your room keys to exchange them.

We simply bring them back to the room.

The next day we have the towels and don't have to go check out new ones.

This is especially nice on port days, when you want to take towels off the ship to beaches.

Then on the last day, we turn in the towels with our cards.

Regardless of the below, we always have a good time on a cruise. So, such are just quick impressions; relative to Oasis/Allure and sometime Quantum/Anthem experiences.

PROS:

GREAT SHIP, like Oasis and Allure, with some nice tweaks from Quantum class. Simply the most diversified and thoughtful design there is. So much to do (slides nice additions), seems to be “a spot for everyone’s preference,” and just packed with options. If there is a general comparison to Quantum/Anthem is that those beautiful ships are ships; Oasis/Allure/Harmony are floating cities/resorts.

GREAT Promenade, Oasis class is the best.

GREAT Solarium, Oasis class is the best (a bit lacking in green, hanging sculptures or something, but really nice), definitely more “airy” glass design (still pretty hot on port days if no wind); and one QUESTION for RCCL ~ just how much would it cost to have glass designs fully powered to open and close on demand/conditions?

GREAT Hot Tubs, by the pools, in the two overhangs and in Solarium (little note, please fix the LED TV’s when they fail, especially if for the whole week, in each overhanging hot tub, or replace, couple hundred bucks to have a stand by).

GREAT Pools, water attractions, slides, mini-golf, courts, etc .

Love to see (1) Quantum/Anthems “sky dive” experience iFly, and (2) indoor combo activities park/bumper cars instead of the tennis/basketball court area and (3) big screen entertainment productions at least at one of the pools.

GREAT Walking/running track. The best at sea.

GREAT Dining specialty dining “options.”

GREAT Entertainment “options.”

CONS:

CREW - TOP TO BOTTOM

~ “Tone at the Top” starts with the Captain, and this is serious. The muster at our station was not taken seriously at all “by the crew.” We’ve never experienced a laughing, joking, ‘bring your drinks, cell phones, everyone talking throughout, mandatory seating overrun, handicapped areas OK for the parties with large drinks, and general ‘joke of a muster. IN THE REAL WORLD, the muster must instill in the passengers that, in such a situation, you BETTER KNOW we mean business. Why? Because should the unfortunate event arise, if passengers “blow off” the safety requirements and the crew from laughable musters, it will be devastating.

~ “Be HAPPY, or at least FAKE IT.” For the first two days, we heard “we’re sorry” “we’re over-worked” “we are not staffed” from Solarium bar and staff so much never went there again. Most unhappy bar staff ever encountered. But, it got worse. It would really be nice if, after observing bar staff coming out of the stalls in the men’s room, that they would wash their hands rather than not (two such).

~ Cancellation / rescheduling of Grease from 8 to 10:30 without communicating on App or email simply unacceptable and inconsiderate. Guest Services response that “it was on the day sheet” indicates the experience level of the GS staff encountered. After booking Grease when the ‘window opened, not another reservation available in the remaining shows. Didn’t get to see it. Bar and attendant staff said “done all the time, especially on Captains night in the Promenade.”

~ Port days, leave “something unique open each day.”

SPECIALTY FOOD VENUES

Need to be consistent with the class ships and “our experiences and memories.”

~ Wonderland actually “enhanced” with location, décor and consistent food; an example of what should be expected at other venues.

~ Solarium Bistro in the evening (a complimentary venue), with the Mediterranean theme for the wide variety of apps, made the entries not even necessary for me on the first night. Wife had the flat iron steak, expectations low, was perfectly prepared, taste, texture and butter knife/for cut. Nice upgrade.

~ Jamie’s is Jamie’s; it is not Giovanni’s (our all time favorite). However, Jamie’s really gave us our best meal of the cruise and best service.

~ CHOPS was such a disappointment. As follows ~

***When we only will give you our entrée order when you “promise” not to start it until we say OK, we mean it. Chops is not a McDonald’s drive-through. Especially when 20% of the inside tables are empty and 90% of the outside tables the same, with no waiting line.

***When you’re used to COLOSSAL SHRIMP COCKTAILS upright in a steel cup and get a 3 bag-frozen look-a-likes on ice in a Martini glass; that is called FOOD COST DOWNSIZING. That’s fine, just don’t charge the same, never mind more. And at least tell us when ordering when we ‘gloat about can’t wait for the colossal shrimp.

***When you’re used to a very thick filet and get what looked like a flat iron steak, and see both go by to other tables, you’ve got a similar issue. Filet cuts are for filets.

***When our waiter approaches you the following day, while “cleaning tables elsewhere,” to apologize for not telling us about the shrimp (food cost issue), and that he rejected the filet (cut incorrect for a Chops filet) and was told “wait until the customer rejects it,” then Corporate doesn’t get it. Repeat customers have memories (and photos); you just can’t get away with such inconsistencies.

***Medium-Rare means such throughout the cut; not well done on one side and seared/rare on the other.

TOWELS, TOWELS, TOWELS

We are not trying to steal the $3 towels; one day get 8 for 4 passengers with one card, days later need all passenger cards, day later, 4 okay for one card. TOWEL STATIONS…if you designed them in the various locations, STAFF THEM. Otherwise, we go to the ONE open and sometimes see 2 towel staff working and 6 talking to them. And whatever the CARD POLICY is, state it and stick with it. Not a problem on Quantum/Anthem.

ALL IN ALL, it's hard not to have a really, really good time on any cruise, not withstanding the above CONS.

That is why we cancelled all of our Harmony cruises.

Yeah right....we're going to cancel a cruise because of inconsistent towel availability at the pool...uh huh...NOT.

I believe that member response that you are replying to was regarding the entire original post, not just the towel issue. That issue was 'at the end of the OP; commentary prior to should be read also for proper context.

Although we are certainly open to booking Harmony again (please note, the PRO'S were pretty impressive) I must admit that many repeat Oasis class and RCCL passengers were not very happy about quite a bit more as per conversations throughout the cruise. Again, it is a consistency issue IMO for repeat class and RCCL cruisers.

Again, we make the best of every cruise. The OP was just for some comparative perspective of our experience with prior Oasis class ships and some Quantum class ships.

Working on bookings already for late January/February and late March/April of 2017 on one or both of these classes of ships (unless a CC member can convince us to try another line/ship/experience).

I believe that member response that you are replying to was regarding the entire original post, not just the towel issue. That issue was 'at the end of the OP; commentary prior to should be read also for proper context.

Understood. Thanks.

Then again...the number of posts and threads about towel availability are exponentially greater than the actual perceived problem.

We were also on this sailing. We had a great time, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Abyss and the slides (I am 64). However...

I have been on the Oasis and Allure four times and never found them to be as crowded as the Harmony. The elevators were consistently a problem; it seemed to take forever for one to stop and they were almost always overcrowded. I would have gone on the Abyss way more than I did if it didn't require an elevator to get back to the top of the slide. For years I have said that the Allure was my favorite ship, but after our experience on the Harmony, I am leaning more towards smaller ships. We will be moving (and retiring!) in a few months, with PC as our new home port. I was so excited about cruising on the Oasis frequently, but now I am not so sure.

We were also on this sailing. We had a great time, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Abyss and the slides (I am 64). However...

I have been on the Oasis and Allure four times and never found them to be as crowded as the Harmony. The elevators were consistently a problem; it seemed to take forever for one to stop and they were almost always overcrowded. I would have gone on the Abyss way more than I did if it didn't require an elevator to get back to the top of the slide. For years I have said that the Allure was my favorite ship, but after our experience on the Harmony, I am leaning more towards smaller ships. We will be moving (and retiring!) in a few months, with PC as our new home port. I was so excited about cruising on the Oasis frequently, but now I am not so sure.

I understand the sentiments re: the larger ships; my wife is a 'Solarium person and is shielded from most of the topics about the rest of the ship as I run off with others to do whatever I can (60, really good shape, love Dragon's Breath Zip Line in Labadee 5 times so far). Friends in our area did comment about the elevators quite a bit, but we're on 11 and we make it a priority to not only walk 3-4 miles a day but to use the stairs as much as possible.

I looked at your cruise history and have some input/recommendations and also seek some.

1. Seek - How was the MSC Divina (two sailings)? We've looked at that several times and wondered about trying it and whether the Yacht Club was a good plus?

2. Consider - The Quantum class Anthem. It is out of NJ, so there is a flight, but it is smaller than Oasis class and a absolutely stunning and beautiful ship. We like Quantum and Anthem quite a bit, expect Anthem will be a couple of bookings for us in 2017. The ratings are not good, but (I say this gently) the home port is NY/NJ and draws passengers that we actually like being around (city folks, we're rural New England) but we find (humorously) very demanding. :)

Thanks.

when you “promise” not to start it until we say OK, we mean it. Chops is not a McDonald’s drive-through. Especially when 20% of the inside tables are empty and 90% of the outside tables the same, with no waiting line.

I'm not clear on the issue. Were you angry others started eating on receipt of food, or angry at pressure to wait rather than start yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not clear on the issue. Were you angry others started eating on receipt of food, or angry at pressure to wait rather than start yourself?
My interpretation was neither of those. I assumed they wanted a leisurely meal with plenty of time for drinks and appetizers, and not have the entrees (plural) arrive before they wanted or have them arrive cold.

Re: the not sending anything back (in a restaurant). I'm sorry, but I disagree with your rationalization which seems to equate sending food back with "getting worked up about it."

How is any establishment going to know that something was not what you obviously believe it should have been if you say nothing? You mentioned it here so I suspect it was an issue.

I just do not understand this at all.

My interpretation was neither of those. I assumed they wanted a leisurely meal with plenty of time for drinks and appetizers, and not have the entrees (plural) arrive before they wanted or have them arrive cold.

Thanks, that is correct. We always ask our server to confirm with us when to send the entrees into the Q. Dining out is so much more relaxing when we have time to have a glass of wine (white with a seafood app for me), have a salad and/or try the breads, talk, and settle down once the 'go is given for the entree (and a possible switch in wine depending on the selection of meat, fish, etc.). We also tell the server, we'll likely take longer than most tables, but we will take care of them with an extra gratuity (which we generally do).

Re: the not sending anything back (in a restaurant). I'm sorry, but I disagree with your rationalization which seems to equate sending food back with "getting worked up about it."

How is any establishment going to know that something was not what you obviously believe it should have been if you say nothing? You mentioned it here so I suspect it was an issue.

I just do not understand this at all.

It's OK to disagree. It is our SOP to not go through the 'send it back routine, wait, interrupt the flow of others' dining, etc. My wife simply shared her entree with me and we still made the best of it.

As far as "how is any establishment going to know," it's quite simple; the food is left on the plate. As noted in a reply previously, the manager noted such and came by. Also, with a family member the owner of a very large restaurant, we know that such restaurants 'look at every dish that comes back as part of the quality control. Usually, the server would have already noted something was not right to the manager prior to seeing it come back. Some restaurant manager's/owners can tell from body language alone what table of guests has 'issues and will attend to the table and address the guests.

There was a time in life when I would send it back and have them re-fire the entire table orders. I guess I've really mellowed?

We just sent a steak back in chops on harmony. It did not disrupt anything at all, in fact a new perfectly cooked filet was back at the table in 8 minutes. Our problem was in getting the food/service in the first place. Our meal took 3 hrs 15 min and we did not even finish desert because we just could not sit any longer. The manager there was very nice and took care of us;)

We just sent a steak back in chops on harmony. It did not disrupt anything at all, in fact a new perfectly cooked filet was back at the table in 8 minutes. Our problem was in getting the food/service in the first place. Our meal took 3 hrs 15 min and we did not even finish desert because we just could not sit any longer. The manager there was very nice and took care of us;)

Wow. Talk about inconsistency. That's incredible 3.25 hours. Nice that you got the filet you wanted. Also nice that the manager 'took care of you. My wife was reading the thread and took a look at our charges for the cruise and we just noticed that they credited the Chops cost of the reservation that we prepaid.

Again, in the OP, consistency was my focus. Many replies indicate that we should have done what you did; although not our normal SOP. However, maybe with the differences in today's experiences between passengers on the same ship at the same restaurant, it could be that we should be doing the same. An 8 minute turnaround on the correct filet would probably have been a better decision (with a smile, if that is a consistent re-fire).

Anyway, thanks.