Can't book hotel-to-port transfer when not staying at a HAL pre-cruise hotel?

jakeller

Hi all,

I'm sailing out of Sydney on March 1st 2018. Used points to stay at the Park Hyatt (yay). A few years ago my folks took HAL's transfer from The Rocks neighborhood to the terminal in White Bay. They weren't at HAL's "official" hotel but they walked over there and got on the bus.

Today I spoke to my TA (Costco) who called HAL, who in turn said that they could not sell me the transfer since I'm not staying at one of their official hotels. Despite telling them that this made no sense (I don't need a pick-up from the Hyatt, I'd be walking over to whatever hotel they use), they were a firm no.

Anyone else had this issue? Should I call back and try again? Or contact HAL directly?

Suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

In Amsterdam last summer, took a taxi from our hotel to the pick-up point/hotel and took the bus/transfer to Rotterdam. Booked it through the TA (big box store) two weeks earlier who kept me on the line while they talked to HAL. Perhaps it is a new thing or just for Sydney? Might wait a couple of days, call the TA as if you were calling for the first time and see if another HAL person has a different answer.

Go to the Holland America Line web site and click on "Already Booked", then click on "Personalize Your Cruise", log in to your account and click on your cruise booking number. Then look for the "Travel Planning" tab and click on that, then the Pre- & Post-Cruise Travel tab. Hopefully that way you can then just book your Pre-Cruise Travel transfer yourself.

Go to the Holland America Line web site and click on "Already Booked", then click on "Personalize Your Cruise", log in to your account and click on your cruise booking number. Then look for the "Travel Planning" tab and click on that, then the Pre- & Post-Cruise Travel tab. Hopefully that way you can then just book your Pre-Cruise Travel transfer yourself.

Tried that a few weeks ago, it wouldn't go through.

Called HAL directly and they said that they were no longer offering transfers to those who didn't book a hotel thru them. A fairly new policy (that has something to do with manifests) but a stupid one, IMHO.

Sorry to hear that HAL is changing their policy about transfers and having to stay at their hotels.

I can remember when we stayed at the Sheraton Downtown in Seattle and booked a transfer to go to Vancouver. We were surprised at the number of people who joined us as they walked or took a taxi from other hotels in Seattle.

We are independent travelers and rarely want ship transfers. However three years ago we made the mistake of booking a cruise out of Imjuiden, Netherlands. The web side had Amsterdam written in parenthesis.

We later learned Imjuiden was in the middle of no where and there was no public transportation available. I spent quite a bit of time contacting taxi and transfer companies and everyone refused this route.

We attempted to book the HAL transfer from their official Amsterdam hotel to and from the port. They refused us because we were not on their pre or post cruise hotel package. We (myself and our travel agent ) spent weeks arguing with them trying to get on their transfer bus. I imagine getting a marriage annulment from the Vatican would be less contentious. My TA had been selling cruises for a decade and had never seen such poor customer service. She finally contacted her HAL master sales agent to complain and we were given a special dispensation to purchase the transfers.

However others on board were not so lucky and we heard multiple people complain about the situation. We talked to one couple who paid 200 euros to a cabbie for one way transfer. They literally had to bribe the cabbie to make the trip.

Will never forget this incident.

Sounds like HAL learned nothing from that experience.

I just tried the transfer and it let me.. $19.00 per person from Central station to the ship, they also pickup at the Rocks station unknown cost.

o Log on to your account

o Booking #

o Personalize your cruise

o Pre and post cruise travel

I just tried the transfer and it let me.. $19.00 per person from Central station to the ship, they also pickup at the Rocks station unknown cost.

o Log on to your account

o Booking #

o Personalize your cruise

o Pre and post cruise travel

Sorry got to update

o Account

o Reservations

o View itinerary

o Travel Planning

o Pre and Post cruise travel

Pre cruise

I hope this works for you

If the technique in Post #9 doesn't work, maybe you could return to the airport (not sure how far that is) and get picked up there.

I've used that method many times, when I have been staying out near the airport. But in Sydney, if staying in town, it's just too far away to go back out to the airport. Easier, and cheaper cab ride, just to go to the pier on your own.

I've used that method many times, when I have been staying out near the airport. But in Sydney, if staying in town, it's just too far away to go back out to the airport. Easier, and cheaper cab ride, just to go to the pier on your own.

Hi Ruth, that's where I got the airport idea, from reading about your trips. Never having been to Sydney, not sure about the logistics. I always appreciate reading your cruise travel tips...Thanks!:D