Code Red on Mariner

NJBelle

i am not trying to be the Captain of the Bad News Bears, by posting this, but think this is news that people care about knowing. For myself, because I had read on CC prior that the cruises in South America after Peru often end up with a Code Red, then was not freaked out when it happened to us just now. In fact, at lunch today, during our excursion, I had to reassure new Regent travelers that this was not “normal”. Eric and I have down probably 40 cruises, with 10+ on Regent, and this is the first time we have experienced Code Red anywhere. The Captain and ship seem to be doing the right thing - making us use sanitizer, removing all S&P, condiments, menus (paper for now), no books or CDs, etc. - basically swabbing all the decks and everything in between. The buses had to be wiped down before we left on excursions today. All this is good in my mind. We are not really being inconvenienced as passengers. The crew is having to do all the extra work. Stay tuned! Best, Janice

Actually, based on a photo taken of the Captain shaking hands with a passenger at the Block Party that was posted, the Captain was not doing the right thing. In fact, when Captain Serena was onboard the Mariner and the current Captain came onboard, it was explained to him about how not shaking hands had kept the Mariner "healthy" after several cruises with Code Red. He apparently didn't listen. BTW, when meeting me, he shook hands and we were both nicely reprimanded and sent to disinfect our hands (I mentioned this on my blog from the Amazon).

For reasons unbeknownst to me, Code Red in South America seems to happen just about every year which is why extra precautions are necessary. When we left the Mariner (the same time that Captain Serena and General Manager Andreas went on vacation), Andreas said that he will encourage the Captains on ships that he is on to follow the no shaking hands policy as it was extremely effective.

So, due to the practices of this Captain and the hand to hand contact of passengers, the ship is in Code Red yet again. Note: As a reminder, we learned that Regent will now put a ship on Code Red when any contagious illness reaches a certain level - whether it is from flu, a cold, gastroenteritis or norovirus. The goal is to keep the spread of the illness controlled.

Really hope that Regent Corporate steps in and puts the same rules into effect as they did on the Mariner as when we were onboard. Otherwise we are likely to hear about more Code Red issues on the Mariner.

As a reminder, the United States is in the middle of a serious flu outbreak. There are no reporting requirements in this country when a school or other public place has communicable diseases (not even for norovirus) so, while this occurs in many places in the world, only cruise ships need to report it.

Obviously I feel strongly on this issue. You can wash your hands until the cows come home but if you touch something with bacteria on it the moment you leave the restroom, you can infect yourself and infect others by touching your hands to theirs (particularly the palm of your hand).

Where is Dr. Rachael when you need her? She has posted previously that she does not shake hands for the reasons that I'm mentioning.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes it is necessary.

I was shocked on both Cystral and Regent about the shaking of hands. Azamara does not allow it.

So far in two months I had a cough, sore throats and UTI. I am sure the cough etc came from guests. UTI comes from meds for me,

People on ships need to stop shaking hands. Or touching each other

I was shocked on both Cystral and Regent about the shaking of hands. Azamara does not allow it........................

r

The last time I was on Crystal Serenity in Aug/Sept 2017 there was no hand shaking by the Offices, nor Staff during receiving lines.

J

Regarding US reporting requirements. Each state, through its respective public health department, has reporting requirements (for health care providers) for certain communicable diseases and enteric disease outbreaks whether foodborne, waterborne or person to person,etc.. The respective state health departments report this information the the CDC National Outbreak Reporting Systems (NORS).

Mariners, just checked out the blog from the ship and it is apparently the flu.

All cruise lines have their own way of dealing with illness. While I didn’t know about Crystal’s policy, I do know that they have had major “noro” outbreaks. Oceania serves passengers at the buffet (what a nuisance). They have had many more Code Reds (reportable) than Regent where we serve ourselves.

From what we have heard, this is GI related. They are asking anyone who feels ill, etc to go to the medical center. Visit is complimentary, no charge. They are clearly trying to contain. They are enforcing the quarantine with spouses of ill passengers (heard that through the grapevine).

Now, I totally agree with no hand-shaking. Even in church. Great way to spread a boatload of germs. (I am a physician but do like general terms...). So, was surprised when the Captain shook hands during the Block Party. Would guess that is something that will change in the future.

Again, I think everyone is supportive of the measures and there is not really a damper on things. Fingers crossed it will be contained soon!

I didnt know cruises to South America were regularly "Code Red" ( by the way this is first time I hear this term), but can tell you that 5 yrs ago,aboard Seabourn Sojourn on the Buenos Aires to Chile cruise , we had a norovirus out break a few days into the cruise I dont recall they calling it a "code red"). As part of the protocol they couldnt vacuum the cabins again.

Even the Passasges tonight says “ Guests are reminded to be vigilant so as to avoid the spread of gastroenteritis on board”.

And it does seem odd that it is called Code Red. When I was a resident and fellow in Pediatrics, we called pediatric codes “Code Red”, and adult codes “Code Blue”. Maybe “Code Brown”for this? Anyway, seems to be Code Red for GI illness.

Even the Passasges tonight says “ Guests are reminded to be vigilant so as to avoid the spread of gastroenteritis on board”.

And it does seem odd that it is called Code Red. When I was a resident and fellow in Pediatrics, we called pediatric codes “Code Red”, and adult codes “Code Blue”. Maybe “Code Brown”for this? Anyway, seems to be Code Red for GI illness.

On the blog for your cruise, someone posted that it was flu related. GI could be norovirus but we won't know until we check reported cruise ship illnesses. The posters also said that only 4 passengers were affected which doesn't sound right either. I seem to recall that there had to be around 12 passengers with an illness in order to go Code Red.

I suspect that the codes on ships are different than on land. Maybe someone will remember whether Code Blue is when a passenger needs immediate assistance or if it another color. Haven't heard of "Code Brown" but have unfortunately experienced and read about "Code Red" on ships may times. In any case, when we were onboard the Mariner in September (Alaska) they had to go 36 hours with no new cases before they would cancel Code Red.

Reference exchanges of handshaking/palm contacts at ANY crew-staff-passenger venue, let-alone general procedures in various dining areas:

Based on past-five year sailings on Regent (several ships), Crystal, Cunard, and Seabourn--and admitted diminished memory clouding anything past the last five years, best context is:

Cunard CPT and all staff never shook hands with anyone, to include Queens' Grill level. My wife and I were advised of this protocol prior to meeting said CPT and his staff at a Queens' reception and several follow-on activities.

Crystal: No handshaking. Again, passengers lining-up for the CPT's initial Reception and several other activities on a long-long crossing from California to New Zealand were advised in advance that, out of an abundance of caution, no hand-to-hand contacts.

Seabourn: Same. Nods and affirmations. Then, move on down the reception line.

Regent: Whether on Voyager, Mariner, or Navigator, could not recall any handshaking between staff and passengers. This applied to our most-recent May-June '17 Miami-Amazon River-Miami cruise. On that particular cruise, same heads-up was given to passengers. Nothing personal; but for health reasons, continually emphasized in daily postings no such contact; and, in addition, recommending passengers not exchange such interactions either on, or off the ship. Good advice given where we were.

Additional context. My wife is a retired R.N. with experience as to communicable disease and associated issues in hospital and clinic environments. She watches all aspects of situations which could "encourage" problems. This includes wiping-down all passenger seat areas while flying to, or from a cruise; similar in hotels; and certainly when onboard, and participating in shore excursions. Knocking on wood--so far, we have escaped a Code Red related to onboard heath issues.

One memory of a ship's concern on the above aspects was when aboard a Seabourn crossing from Tahiti to Costa Rica. My wife experienced what she believed to be mal-de-mere on that vessel. This was self-diagnosed. Well, the ship's doctor, and nurse, visited her on several occasions in our suite during the crossing to "keep tabs" on her. No charge. Extra care. I am sure suite attendants kept staff updated on her condition, which precluded attending several social functions. The rationale was to determine if a quarantine would be necessary.

Turned out it was simply sea sickness. My wife understood exactly what was going on. As she has said on several occasions--if one has to be ill on a ship, what great service!

We will be aboard Navigator this June--Los Angeles to New York. Will maintain all protocols detailed above. So, if we meet any CC folks, do not take offense if offered my elbow-bump in lieu of hand-to-hand interactions.

Best

GOARMY!

Passengers would be far more likely to understand and comply with personal hygiene protocols (if they don't do so anyway) if there wasn't such a veil of secrecy drawn over outbreaks of any kind. If it's noro/GI or flu or whatever then tell us! Otherwise the rumours spread as quickly as the bacteria.

Thank you for all of that detail. Must say, however, that with the exception of the last cruise, there has been handshaking on Regent on all of our cruises*. And, if you look at photos of the current Mariner blog, you will see the Captain shaking a passenger's hand.

What you described on other ships sounds stuffy and hi-brow compared to the fun we had on Regent bumping fists and elbows. Being healthy and safe is one thing but that does not mean you can't have fun doing it!

It will be interesting to see if there will be handshaking on our upcoming Asia cruise. Really hoping for more fist and elbow bumping (as well as hugs). There is so much that you can do without spreading germs:halo:

*When the Captain on the ship in Bali was ill, he did not shake hands nor did the G.M. when he became ill on the same cruise (it was a very sick cruise and it was on Voyager in December - 4 years ago). Aside for when they were sick, they were shaking hands.

Travel Cat: We noticed no "stuffiness" intended or not in any interactions with staff while onboard ships where staff conformed to common-sense sanitation protocols and maintaining the necessary physical distance.

Quite the opposite. It became a "game" when interacting with staff either in common dining venues, or simply walking down an internal aisle. Just a nod, or bump.

Folks understood the need to understand the ground rules. Best analogy is to that classic, "Godfather I". Tom, the Don's lawyer (and adopted son) opines to hothead Sonny--the Don's son: "Sonny, it's not personal; its business!" O.K. This may be a bit of a stretch. But, the general idea, lest anyone forget, is to experience a positive cruise not encumbered by illness or restriction to one's cabin exacerbated by either a staff or passenger disregarding simple health protocols.

That is my final comment on this matter. (Or, never say never; and never say ever.)

GOARMY!

Actually I am more of the mind that there is very little in life that you can do without coming in contact w 'germs' and be a participant in spreading them. There have been numerous discussions about hotel rooms, aircraft, ships and the world at large. A ship, a school, an office are all Petri dishes.

At the same time I think that the epidemiological study is missing in describing this captain's shaking hands as the cause of code whatever color. If we were to accept such facile attribution, we would need to conclude that Crystal's long standing policy of bumping elbows leads to outbreaks of norovirus virus.

Hand washing, disinfecting, staying 'home' if you are ill all seem to be the best deterrents easily available. Then hope for luck and health.

The Captain shaking hands is a contributing factor, however if Crystal has had the policy for years and still has had reportable Nirovirus (more cases than Regent) there is more going on.

There was more going on during our 25 night cruise on Mariner than not shaking hands. They temporarily had in effect some of the policies that are in effect during an outbreak (policies not affecting passengers).

I'm a bit puzzled as to why other cruise lines are being discussed as this is about the Mariner in South America - not the Explorer, Voyager or Navigator or any other ship. Having said that, if anyone knows the sanitation policy of a cruise line that hasn't had Code Red, I'm sure that we would all be interested in reading about it.

Last, this has not been identified as Nirovirus. Unless/until the CDC states that the Mariner has Nirovirus, we do not know what communicable disease that caused Regent to declare a Code Red. As has been said, it could be flu, a cold, bronchitis or ???

Edited by Travelcat2

TC, please inform us where you get your information from. We have never had code whatever on Regent or Crystal.

Code red is a simple way of referring to an illness outbreak onboard and the ensuing procedures. That is the term TC and the rest of us mean by code red. I believe it comes into effect when a certain percentage (3?) of passengers, crew becomes sick. Anyone confirm that number? Code blue is medical emergency.

Been on Regent cruises when both came into effect.