Over the door hanger question...

cruisersfromoz

Hi,

I've seen many posts recommending the use of an over door hanger as a good way to organise your toiletries as there is limited bench space in the cabin bathroom. I have recently purchased one from Howards Storage World and was wondering whether you packed it in your suitcase already full or you packed it flat and your toiletries seperately? It just seems like it would be really bulky and an awkward shape to pack if I fill it before we go.

Sorry if this is a really silly question!

Cheers,

Casey.

since i put it in the check-in and most of the stuff (that i put in it) is in the carry-on...i wait until i unpack and see what will go in the pockets.

on some cruises, if you hit rough seas, it keeps things from spilling all over the floor or counter.

one pocket is for DH's meds, another for mine...any make-up, other then the daily stuff goes in another. meds you may not need, like for tummy problem, goes in another. i got a cheap one from a dollar store, the pockets are mesh, i can see what is in each pocket.

oh, my contacts and fluids go in another pocket..keeps them out of the way of the room stewards.

remember, always pack your meds in your carry-on, with anything else you may need in case of lost luggage or getting your luggage late, on the ship.

• Administrators

I pack mine flat in checked baggage, as well. We use ours for lots of stuff -- rarely toiletries! :) Sunscreen bottles, cameras, batteries, sign and sail cards, bandaids, sunglasses, OTC meds/first aid stuff, contacts and solution, hair clips/scrunchies... pretty much any small thing we don't want cluttering up the shelves/countertops or smushed in a drawer goes in the over the door organizer. Organizing it one time at the beginning of the cruise saves me from wasting time every day looking for stuff, but as another poster says, you might find you don't use it.

Hi,

I've seen many posts recommending the use of an over door hanger as a good way to organise your toiletries as there is limited bench space in the cabin bathroom. I have recently purchased one from Howards Storage World and was wondering whether you packed it in your suitcase already full or you packed it flat and your toiletries seperately? It just seems like it would be really bulky and an awkward shape to pack if I fill it before we go.

Sorry if this is a really silly question!

Cheers,

Casey.

Used one about four or five cruises ago and never again! Especially with the limited weight on one's suitcase on flights . . . every ounce counts. I have found there to be ample space in the bathroom to hold all my "stuff" . . . :p

I packed mine in the outside pocket of my suitcase once I was all packed. I also did not need it and will never take it again. There has been ample room on all the cruises I've taken. Plenty of closet space, plenty of draw space, and plenty of counter space in the room and bathroom Also in the bathroom there are usually 4 shelves hanging from where the mirror is with rails around them so stuff won't fall off. Everything you bring will fit. I also have never had anything move on my counters due to ship motion. I vote leave it home, the less you pack the better. You do not NEED it.

You did not ask a silly question at all.

I bought one at the Dollar Store, took it on a cruise, could never figure out why to use it, and donated it to Goodwill when we got home. We find that there is plenty of storage space in the bathroom and in the cabin.

I bought one for my first cruise and I use it every time I cruise with another person (I didn't bring it on my solo cruise, I knew I would have enough room for all my stuff since I didn't have to share the space.

I travel on NCL (shelf and drawer space is limited in regular staterooms); the over-the-door shoe organizer (I say shoe organizer since it's what it is in reality even if I don't use it for shoes other than my flip flop, it's not the small version one person posted above) was essential. We hang it outside the bathroom door (in the hallway, in front of the closet) and it wasvery useful. We leave only a couple of things in the bathroom (tooth brush and paste, mouthwash, Lysol), shampoo in the shower. Everything else goes in the organizer.

Since my last cruise was with my sister-in-law, when it was time to get ready for dinner, one would go in the shower and then use the bedroom mirror to get ready while the other person would take her shower and use the bathroom mirror to get ready and we both had access to our toiletteries very easily. I think my organizer has 20 clear plastic pockets.

I pack the organizer flat in the checked suit case and, separately, I put all my sundries items in one or two extra large ziplock bag(s). I also bring a small ziplock in the carry-on luggage for the essentials (what I consider essential in sudries are my favorite mascara, lip balm, lipstick, face lotion, hand lotion and anti-baterial gel... I figure I can buy sun protection on the ship since I will need a big bottle and can't fit in the 3-1-1 plane allowance) in case suitcase doesn't make it to the ship - I do the same for clothes too, my carry-on always contain the following: bathing suit, underwear, a skirt, a tank top, a dressy top, flip flops and 2'' heel comfy sandals in my carry on just in case... I could get by with this until the first port with what I wear and what I carry with me... better be safe than sorry in my book)

We used it for:

- 1 x Non essential meds (Tums, advil, etc.)

- 1 x First aid kit + small sewing kit

- 2 x Meds

- 2 x Costume jewellery (the couple of pieces of really nice jewellery we had went in the safe)

- 2 x Hair products

- 4 x Body/face/hands/feet lotions (4x because each person had 2 pockets)

- 2 x Sunscreen (body and face)

- 2 x Makeup/nail polish remover

- 2 x Makeup

- 2 x flip flops

(I have seen some people post about leaving their camera in this organizer but mine is a small digital one and I prefer leaving it in the safe).

I pack mine flat in the suitcase. Since we don't fly to a port, it doesn't matter. Before I used one, our desk would get so cluttered that we couldn't find anything. Now, I have a place for all those little odds and ends that get thrown into the desk drawer. Wouldn't travel without one and even take them on land vacations. Travelgirl

I take two (cheepie dollar store kind), one for in the bathroom for sunblock, toiletries, etc. and one hangs in the closet area, helps keep everything neat, put my shoes, some thin socks, camera stuff,sunglasses, etc. . It is a matter of choice I guess , but it helps me keep things organized and picked up. If DH asks where is something, I can always say "look in the shoe bag" :) it just make my life easier is all. And the ones I have pack completely flat and weigh next to nothing. I put them in the bottom of the checked bag. Now my daughter and sister also use them. But like some people said in this thread they didn't find it useful for them, so try it see if you like it , if not then next time leave it home. Have a great cruise.

Cori

Archived