First timer to Rome w/questions

Packman1000

Not only first time to Rome, but first time outside of North America. We will spend 2 days post-cruise in Rome. Concerned about the language barrier and finding our way around.

1. We arrive on Saturday and will not likely get to the city until almost noon. Will a hotel hold our luggage until we can check in? Will we still have time to see the Vatican that day? Is it open at all on Sunday? How about the museums?

2. We have a 9:20 AM flight out on a Monday. Can we take the train to the airport - I understand the first train from the city is about 6:00 AM? Or would a taxi be recommended? Also, do the hotels have reliable wake up call service, or do we need to pack an alarm clock?

So much to deal with. Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Don't worry, many people visit Rome and they don't speak Italian either! It is a very exciting city with much to offer.

The Vatican museum is open on Sat , I believe until 6 , last entrance is at 4PM. Sundays it is closed , unless it is the last Sunday of the month. I suggest you go to their website and double check the hours. You can pre purchase entrance tickets so you don't have to stand in line, but these are timed. St Peter's Basilica is open every day.

Pretty much any hotel will hold your bags if your room is not ready.

Given that your flight is in the morning I strongly suggest a taxi. Taxi fare to the airport is a flat fee of 40 Euros . The train is I believe 11 Euros per person plus the taxi fare to the Stazione Termini (which could be a little chaotic). So you wouldn't be saving that much by taking the train.

Sometimes the wakeup clocks in the hotel rooms are confusing or not reliable. I always bring my travel alarm clock plus I ask reception for a wake up call.

I wish you a fantastic cruise and first visit to the Eternal city! Don't forget to visit Trevi fountain and throw your coin!

Hi,

Don't worry, many people visit Rome and they don't speak Italian either! It is a very exciting city with much to offer.

The Vatican museum is open on Sat , I believe until 6 , last entrance is at 4PM. Sundays it is closed , unless it is the last Sunday of the month. I suggest you go to their website and double check the hours. You can pre purchase entrance tickets so you don't have to stand in line, but these are timed. St Peter's Basilica is open every day.

Given that your flight is in the morning I strongly suggest a taxi. Taxi fare to the airport is a flat fee of 40 Euros . The train is I believe 11 Euros per person plus the taxi fare to the Stazione Termini (which could be a little chaotic). So you wouldn't be saving that much by taking the train.

Sometimes the wakeup clocks in the hotel rooms are confusing or not reliable. I always bring my travel alarm clock plus I ask reception for a wake up call.

I wish you a fantastic cruise and first visit to the Eternal city! Don't forget to visit Trevi fountain and throw your coin!

Thanks for the info and the well wishes!!

All good advice from Cruiseluv.

The first direct train from Rome Termini to the airport (FCO, aka Leonardo DaVinci or Fiumicino Airport) leaves at 5:52 and arrives at the airport at 6:23. Depending on where in Rome your hotel is, if you were to take the train it might make more sense to take a regional train from one of the other Rome train stations (Ostiense and Trastevere).

However, as Cruiseluv recommends, it's not that much more money to take a taxi and it's so much more comfortable and convenient. Do ask your hotel to call for a taxi for you - unless you happen to be staying at a hotel that is near a taxi stand - cabs don't "cruise" looking for fares in Rome as they do in the States. Simply ask the front desk staff to call about ten minutes before you want to leave.

We did taxis the first trip to Rome. While good.....even better is to have a ride scheduled ahead to pick you up...... we used Rome Cabs this last trip and it was nice !!!! They were always there early and the price is the same as a taxi. We used them for : airport to hotel, hotel to port (shared with 2 other couples) and back to hotel from port (also shared with 2 other couples) then again to airport from hotel to come home. Extremely professional company ! :D

Most (but not all) of the Europeans we encountered spoke English. Many signs for the sights along with directions were in English. Most hotels have a small but very well put together tourist map of the old town area that they will give you at check-in. NOT the ones for hoho.....as there two. Also the two hotels we have stayed in had alarm clocks AND we left a wake up call..... dh phone (which didnt work for calls) also has alarm and we set that too...... just to be sure ! Wouldnt want to miss our plane. Hotels will hold luggage if your room is not ready.....

Have a great trip.....Rome is AMAZING ! And so is the rest of Europe !

You might also consider staying at the Airport Hilton. They have a free shuttle that takes you right into Rome, not far from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. That way you're at the airport and won't need to worry about the train. ;)

I would also recommend that you go to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and go up onto the roof, it gives an amazing view of Rome and you can plan where you might want to go.

Have a great trip

You might also consider staying at the Airport Hilton. They have a free shuttle that takes you right into Rome, not far from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. That way you're at the airport and won't need to worry about the train. ;)

I would also recommend that you go to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and go up onto the roof, it gives an amazing view of Rome and you can plan where you might want to go.

Have a great trip

Known more commonly as the Vittorio Emanuele monument in Piazza Venezia (a central hub).

(Known to Romans with a sense of humor as "the typewriter" or "the wedding cake".....:rolleyes:)

Photo: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/13/f8/e7/monument-vittorio-emanuele.jpg

Have a great trip

With a 9:20 am flight on Monday, why would anyone want to waste precious time in Roma by staying out at Fiumicino the prior evening? Much better to enjoy Roma all day and evening on Sunday, and take the train, taxi or private transfer to FCO in the morning--there's no issue or rush!

With a 9:20 am flight on Monday, why would anyone want to waste precious time in Roma by staying out at Fiumicino the prior evening? Much better to enjoy Roma all day and evening on Sunday, and take the train, taxi or private transfer to FCO in the morning--there's no issue or rush!

I so agree!!

Thanks for all of the help. One last question on this subject. If we decide to take the first Express train out at 5:52 AM, would there be any kind of problem getting on that train, with regard to a long waiting line? I think we will probably stay in a hotel near the Colosseo, which I believe is also close enough to the train station to walk to - right?.

I do have to agree with euro cruiser's earlier comment; at that time in the morning, I'd probably go with the taxi rather than the train, especially if you have a lot of luggage. When you get to the airport, if you are flying direct to the US, you will depart from Terminal 5, which is also a distance from where the train station is.

If there are two of you, the tickets for the Leonardo Express will be 22 euro + extra if you have to take a taxi to Termini to catch the train. A taxi direct from your hotel to the airport will probably be about 50 euro.

Thanks for all of the help. One last question on this subject. If we decide to take the first Express train out at 5:52 AM, would there be any kind of problem getting on that train, with regard to a long waiting line? I think we will probably stay in a hotel near the Colosseo, which I believe is also close enough to the train station to walk to - right?.
I walked from the Colisseum to Termini in about 25 minutes. Another option is to take the Metro B line from the Colosseo station to Termini (just two stops). Alot depends on how much luggage you have.

The Leonardo Express from Termini will set you back something like 11 Euros per person or 22 Euros for two, and the local regional FR1 train is much cheaper (and slower obviously) at something like 5 Euros per person. Again, the amount of luggage and your ability to negotiate ancient streets, steps and elevated train entrances with them is a major consideration for you.

With your early departure and since you will have luggage, I'd personally recommend you just spend the 50-55 Euros for a pre-arranged private transfer. This would let you sleep in a bit and eliminates the hassle of getting to, and dealing with the maze of, Termini! Good luck! :)

Okay, I'm convinced. I'll set up a taxi or try Rome Cabs. That way, we don't have to concentrate on finding a hotel that is somewhat close to the Termini. I read in our AAA book that they recommend staying away from the hotels near the Termini - not that they are bad, just touristy.

Nothing in Rome is all that far away from anything else (unless you're dragging a lot of luggage, on a really hot day or in the pouring rain, that is), it's just that some places are closer than others. Termini is not particularly close to the things tourists want to see.

I stayed at a B&B at the bottom of Via Cavour a couple of years ago; for a 9:45 AM flight I took a bus from outside the B&B to the Ostiense station and caught the regional train to FCO. However, I was alone and didn't have much luggage, plus I've made similar trips in Rome many times before. With others I'd make the same choice you have and take a taxi or a car service.

You'll have a wonderful time in Rome and want to stay as long as possible. Language is not a problem, and most people are helpful. Taking an international flight that early I would suggest Rome Cabs because they are dependable and can gauge traffic, etc. If you had all day, the train would be fine, but sometimes trains have strikes and that would not be good.

Hi,

Excellent post cruiselove and you pretty much said it all.

Archived