Athens DIY: be flexible!

epixx

Returned from Ruby Princess after DIY in Athens Sunday, August 23, with family of 4. Ship arrival time was 0900. Before docking, plan was to take free port bus to port exit, bus #843 to metro, and metro from Piraeus to Syntagma Square for Sunday changing of the guard at 1100, then walk to other sights. We knew that taxis from port to central Athens, if available, would cost about 20 euros. We exited ship a little late, around 0945. We did not see port bus right away, so we decided to walk to port exit to catch 843 bus. As we were walking, a taxi driver stopped and asked us if we would like a ride to central Athens. We agreed to 20-25 euros max. He took us on a minitour which we enjoyed, so we voluntarily paid 25 euros. Enjoyed a DIY walking tour of central Athens until late afternoon, when we ended at the New Acropolis Museum. By the way, this museum is the biggest bargain in Europe. We paid 2 euros for 4 people, i.e, 2 adults and 2 children. Planned to take metro from Akropoli Station to Omonia, then change to green line bound for Piraeus. No trouble with first segment of subway trip. Found platform for train to Piraeus. Suspected something wrong when train arriving to proper platform had "Omonia" written on the front, rather than "Piraeus." Could not find anyone who spoke English to ask. We got on the train anyway, and the train promptly reversed direction and stopped at the Viktoria Station. Since we suspected something was wrong, we were checking the stations and knew the train was going in the opposite direction from Piraeus, so we got off. At this station, we were able to find an attendant who spoke English. She informed us that the green line from Omonia to Piraeus was not operating that day due to construction. We exited there and hailed a taxi in about 10 minutes. Taxi driver spoke no English and did not understand my apparent mispronunciation of "Piraeus." He got out of his cab and walked with us into a nearby restaurant to see if anyone spoke English, but could not find anyone. I then pulled out my map of the port of Piraeus, which I had copied before the trip, and pointed to the E12 port gate. He studied it carefully and replied, "no problem." He then said something that I didn't understand, but someone who was standing nearby pulled out a 10 euro note and pointed to it, so I vigorously nodded my head in agreement. The driver actually turned on the cab's meter, and the fare came out to be just under 10 euros.

Morals of the story:

1. Be flexible!

2. Enjoy the adventure of it all.

3. Do your research before you go.

4. Enjoy the local citizens.

Reminds me of our cruise from the new (2006) port in Brooklyn,NY. Asked a cab driver at JFK if he could take us to the port and he said yes. After a few miles on a busy highway, he said he didn't know how to get there. I had fortunately xeroxed a map to the port before we left home, but it was in my bag in the trunk. He pulled over with cars whizzing by and I got it out of the trunk.I had always heard NYC cabbies knew how to find any place. I assume they all know where the port is by now!

Returned from Ruby Princess after DIY in Athens Sunday, August 23, with family of 4. Ship arrival time was 0900. Before docking, plan was to take free port bus to port exit, bus #843 to metro, and metro from Piraeus to Syntagma Square for Sunday changing of the guard at 1100, then walk to other sights. We knew that taxis from port to central Athens, if available, would cost about 20 euros. We exited ship a little late, around 0945. We did not see port bus right away, so we decided to walk to port exit to catch 843 bus. As we were walking, a taxi driver stopped and asked us if we would like a ride to central Athens. We agreed to 20-25 euros max. He took us on a minitour which we enjoyed, so we voluntarily paid 25 euros. Enjoyed a DIY walking tour of central Athens until late afternoon, when we ended at the New Acropolis Museum. By the way, this museum is the biggest bargain in Europe. We paid 2 euros for 4 people, i.e, 2 adults and 2 children. Planned to take metro from Akropoli Station to Omonia, then change to green line bound for Piraeus. No trouble with first segment of subway trip. Found platform for train to Piraeus. Suspected something wrong when train arriving to proper platform had "Omonia" written on the front, rather than "Piraeus." Could not find anyone who spoke English to ask. We got on the train anyway, and the train promptly reversed direction and stopped at the Viktoria Station. Since we suspected something was wrong, we were checking the stations and knew the train was going in the opposite direction from Piraeus, so we got off. At this station, we were able to find an attendant who spoke English. She informed us that the green line from Omonia to Piraeus was not operating that day due to construction. We exited there and hailed a taxi in about 10 minutes. Taxi driver spoke no English and did not understand my apparent mispronunciation of "Piraeus." He got out of his cab and walked with us into a nearby restaurant to see if anyone spoke English, but could not find anyone. I then pulled out my map of the port of Piraeus, which I had copied before the trip, and pointed to the E12 port gate. He studied it carefully and replied, "no problem." He then said something that I didn't understand, but someone who was standing nearby pulled out a 10 euro note and pointed to it, so I vigorously nodded my head in agreement. The driver actually turned on the cab's meter, and the fare came out to be just under 10 euros.

Morals of the story:

1. Be flexible!

2. Enjoy the adventure of it all.

3. Do your research before you go.

4. Enjoy the local citizens.

WOW...what fun reading about your adventure but I must admit I would have "freaked out" in this situation! Therefore, the reason ship tours are offered! :D

Trudy

We were in Athens on the 22nd and caught the metro from Piraeus. About 1/2 way there everyone was ushered off the train onto buses where we were crammed in like sardines. On this bus into Athens we met 2 people who had lived not far from us and then when searching for the bus back to the metro we met a couple who used to live 3 doors away from us. Everyone says its a small world:D!

Archived