Flu precautions to take? H1N1 vaccine available in the U.S? Hand sanitizers

mikeerdas

Is an H1N1 vaccine available yet in the U.S.? Thought I heard batches were already available, but a pharmacist told me she thought the vaccine was still undergoing human trials; and that it would be a multi-shot vaccine akin to Hep-B. Won't help me, as I'm soon to depart for my cruise.

If the vaccine isn't available, then should I get a seasonal flu shot? Won't protect from H1N1, but better than nothing at all?

Will be cruising in late September (eastern med) and am wondering what precautions I should take, if any. When last I cruised (Mariner), staff handed out wipes on entrance to the dining area.

Don't wipes and hand sanitizers give a false sense of security? I've read that washing hands briskly (with friction) is the best precaution; and that it is the friction itself, rather than the soap or hot water, that does the most anti-bacterial work.

Wondering what I should do, if anything, to reduce my chances of getting sick while on holiday. Also wondering if it's too late to purchase trip insurance. I normally "self insure" against bad stuff while traveling; but with H1N1, I wonder. Would not want to be stopped from re-boarding the ship, or asked to leave the ship, if I inadvertently got H1N1. The costs of getting me and my wife home on our own would be prohibitive.

It sounds like you're pretty concerned about H1N1.

You should probably talk to your health professional, rather than rely on responses on a message board.

And only you know what your financial situation is & whether or not you could handle the cost of ANY medical issue & possible medical evac on a trip.

It sounds like you're pretty concerned about H1N1.

You should probably talk to your health professional, rather than rely on responses on a message board.

And only you know what your financial situation is & whether or not you could handle the cost of ANY medical issue & possible medical evac on a trip.

I agree that you should talk to your physician asap (if only to ease your concerns).

Here in the USA, the H1N1 vaccine is not ready yet- it is undergoing clinical trials on a select group of both adults and now children. The latest release indicates that a one dose shot may be possible. In my area (mid-Atlantic states), the current recommendation is to get a regular flu shot asap (now available- 1-2 months earlier than normal). Some physicians are giving out prescriptions for Tamiflu- just in case the H1N1 strikes before you are vaccinated. Ask your physicain for advice for you personally.

Hand washing- it's not just friction- you need water to wash away the germs and some soap to dissolve the dirt/oils on your hands, etc. Also, cough or sneeze into your elbow if you don't have a large handkerchief handy (to avoid spreading the virus through the air or on your hands). One college in CA is requiring all incoming Freshman to take a course in proper sneezing/coughing etiquette LOL.

Trip insurance: I don't know if it's too late for you. I suggest looking at www dot insuremytrip dot com for quotes. We always get insurance, not just for swine flu- but what if we fall and break a leg (happened to my cousin's MIL going through the Panama Canal) or have a ruptured appendix (happened to my DD's roomie in Dominican Republic). Try to get some kind of medical insurance (plus evacuation) just to ease your mind- then relax and enjoy your cruise.

Last I heard (when I talked to my kids MD) was that the H1N1 might initially only be given to the very young and very old and those with compromised health issues until they know how much will be produced. Regular flu shots will not take care of H1N1. Careful and frequent hand washing, sneezing into elbows and trying to stay away from infected folks (if people would only stay home when sick!!!!!) seem to be the advice.

Would not want to be stopped from re-boarding the ship, or asked to leave the ship, if I inadvertently got H1N1. The costs of getting me and my wife home on our own would be prohibitive.

It would be a greater public health hazard to fly home with H1N1 than to stay quarantined on the ship - you'd expose everyone else on the plane to the virus. If you develop any severe communicable disease onboard, you'd just be confined to quarters or admitted to the medical center if necessary rather than cast off the ship. However, you might want to stay in a hotel if your cruise ends before your symptoms resolve.

The CDC website states:

"CDC recommends that people with 2009 H1N1 flu avoid contact with others as much as possible. If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.) Stay away from others as much as possible to keep from making others sick."

Assume "home" means wherever you happen to be: cruise ship's cabin or hotel room.

Some people are taking Tamiflu with them on cruises. If you're concerned, chat with your doctor about that. It doesn't cure H1N1, but does mitigate some symptoms and might make the illness milder.

I'm taking a TA in November, and not terribly concerned about getting sick onboard. I'll just wash my hands as usual. Will not take Tamiflu. I've never used it and since I have a lot of medication allergies and sensitivities, I'm not willing to risk an adverse effect so far from my home.

By the way, I'm a registered nurse.

I found out something very interesting abouth the H1N1 virus a few days ago. We are going to the South Pacific, so I called the Innoculation Clinic and Travel Advisory Nurse at our HMO, Kaiser of California.

She confirmed that their supply of the new vaccine would not be available until 10/20, but told me to go get a flu shot at a local pharmacy / drugstore, anyway.

She also told me that the flu shots in 2005 included a vaccine for the H1N1 virus, and even though it's mutated, those of us who had a flu shot then have some antibodies already in our system. She said people with the 2005 flu shot have a greater resistance to it. She confirmed that the 54 and older age group are the least affected by it unless they have already compromised health. They think this is because we were innoculated and vaccinated when we were young, and we also went through the Hong Kong flu pandemic in the late 1960's. She said this all adds to the build up of antibodies.

So, I went and got a flu shot at Walgreen's.

Guest maddycat
I found out something very interesting abouth the H1N1 virus a few days ago. We are going to the South Pacific, so I called the Innoculation Clinic and Travel Advisory Nurse at our HMO, Kaiser of California.

She confirmed that their supply of the new vaccine would not be available until 10/20, but told me to go get a flu shot at a local pharmacy / drugstore, anyway.

She also told me that the flu shots in 2005 included a vaccine for the H1N1 virus, and even though it's mutated, those of us who had a flu shot then have some antibodies already in our system. She said people with the 2005 flu shot have a greater resistance to it. She confirmed that the 54 and older age group are the least affected by it unless they have already compromised health. They think this is because we were innoculated and vaccinated when we were young, and we also went through the Hong Kong flu pandemic in the late 1960's. She said this all adds to the build up of antibodies.

Great news!

I work in a school that has a health center, and we just had a briefing with the center staff. The vaccine will not be available until late October, and will likely be a two-dose shot. It will be available for target populations first (elderly, school children, health care personnel, teachers, etc.) and then if there is more, it will be available to others.

Anyone with flu-like symptoms (fever, body aches, sneezing, sore throat) is being asked to stay home and away from other people to prevent the spread until they have been fever-free (naturally, not because of taking a fever-reducing medicine) for at least 24 hours. Those with flu symptoms should see their health care provider as soon as possible.

Wash your hands, cough/sneeze into your elbow or tissues, and keep frequently touched surfaces cleaned with hand sanitizers or a product like bleach wipes. These are all recommendations for schools which will be ground zero for H1N1 outbreaks.

We often do not wash our hands properly, use warm water, not hot or cold, wash between fingers,around wrists and around nailsas well as palms,make sure the thumbs are washed seperatly and take time, as long as it takes to sing Happy birthday is recommended.

And of course turn off taps using paper or a cloth,

Think of Richard Gere leaving the wash room without touching the door with his hands! :rolleyes:

Already got the regular one, just happened to go to drug store and there was no line and they were giving them for 25$, well worth it to me not to have to go wait at Dr's office, 5 minutes in and out. I have been getting them for years .

What? :confused::confused::confused:

H1N1 is not a new strain; it's been around for a while. It comes back mutated in to something else, like all the rest of the little flu beasties. So, if you got a flu shot in 2005, then the H1N1 vaccine was included in that shot. Of course, it's not the same, but the nurse said if the latest version of H1N1 got into your body, your immune system (and I quote) would say: "Oh, yeah, I remember this one", and start producing antibodies. So, there's a little buffer there in your immune system, but you'll still have a mild case of the flu from the mutated version we have going now, according to Nurse Vaccine!!:D

Archived