Best way to carry money for an eastern med cruise? Pre-paid credit card?

mikeerdas

What's the best way to "carry money" for an eastern med cruise (Rome, Greece, Turkey, with post-cruise to France)?

In past travels, I have taken 2 credit cards (a 2nd in case 1st is lost or gobbled up by an ATM machine) and overpaid the balance roughly to an amount I expect to spend abroad--this is so I am not levied "cash advance" interest. Seems always to have worked. And travelers checks seem to be a thing of the 20th Century.

I've read that I should notify my credit card companies of the dates and countries I'll be traveling in; and that Turkey seems to be a place where I can't even use my cards--or that the credit card companies advised me not to use my cards there due to fraud. This is so expect spending patterns (expected to the traveler herself) are not interpreted as unauthorized purchases abroad. I've had my own AMEX card denied domestically (U.S.) several times at gas stations; had to phone and confirm recent purchases, etc. So I'm definitely notifying my card companies.

Anyway, for safety / convenience / peace of mind, etc, should I:

* Do what I've always done (2 credit cards and overpay the balance on one)

OR

* Purchase a credit card(s) pre-loaded with a certain amount of money

... or something else / combination of things.

My wife wants to bring her debit card, but since a debit card accesses one's checking or savings account directly, I've heard there isn't the same level of protection in case of fraud / unauthorized use (vs. a credit card). True or a myth?

Finally, is it better to use credit cards for large purchases from trusted vendors? (e.g. pre-cruise hotels) and cash for everything else? e.g. make one or two cash withdrawals of euros from an ATM and not use the credit cards for anything else? While I love my frequent flier miles, I don't love being scammed via credit card fraud--who does?

Thanks.

Mike

You express a lot of worries here. Many seem to be reflections of other travelers, founded or not.

My wife wants to bring her debit card, but since a debit card accesses one's checking or savings account directly, I've heard there isn't the same level of protection in case of fraud / unauthorized use (vs. a credit card). True or a myth?

While this is true, the ATM card is the preferred and most used form of "carrying cash" in Europe. For an extra layer of safety, open a new bank account, get an ATM for it, put a fixed amount of cash in it to draw on while you are in Europe. You will also get the best exchange rate if you are using an ATM card to get local currency.

Finally, is it better to use credit cards for large purchases from trusted vendors? (e.g. pre-cruise hotels) and cash for everything else? e.g. make one or two cash withdrawals of euros from an ATM and not use the credit cards for anything else?

This is what we did...worked very well. We found that we got more bang for our buck using local currency than we did giving them USD$ or using a credit card.
While I love my frequent flier miles, I don't love being scammed via credit card fraud--who does?
While fraud does occur, if you pay attention to your ATM, cc, etc, you will not have any trouble. Get a nice neck wallet, keep it tucked into your shirt...keep a small amount of local currency in your pocket for incidentals...you will be fine.

BTW, others in our group could not use their ATM cards in Turkey. I had no trouble whatsoever. Shop around for your ATM services, they apparently vary quite a bit. (Turkey was a place that we used local currency exclusively...that way there was no CC fraud)

I agree with what thinfool says. I just wanted to add a couple of points.

When using a credit card (other than Capital One) you will pay a foreign transaction fee levied by the issuing bank -- whether or not you pre-pay your card. This fee varies from 1-3%. Check with your bank to see how much they charge. Many frequent overseas travelers, including me, have opened a Cap One card just for use overseas to avoid this fee.

Second, I used both credit cards and my ATM card in Turkey when I spent a couple of weeks there this spring. I had notified my banks ahead of time and had no problems using the card and no problems with fraud. However, I used the credit card mostly for things like hotel bills and paying for tours. I wouldn't use it for something like a purchase in the Grand Bazaar or in a restaurant.

We do the following.

We use an ATM card to obtain local currency.

We use a Capital One Credit Card to avoid the international surcharges.

We use cash in many places where we are leary about giving out our credit card.

We use a special credit card for international purchases with a low credit limit.

In places like Turkey we were able to use USA dollars for many purchases.

We let our credit card company and atm card company know of our travel plans including itinerary and travel dates.

And as we do at home I check my transactions on line each and every day for potential fraud.

We do a lot of traveling and this approach works great for us.

Keith

What's the best way to "carry money" for an eastern med cruise (Rome, Greece, Turkey, with post-cruise to France)?

In past travels, I have taken 2 credit cards (a 2nd in case 1st is lost or gobbled up by an ATM machine) and overpaid the balance roughly to an amount I expect to spend abroad--this is so I am not levied "cash advance" interest. Seems always to have worked. And travelers checks seem to be a thing of the 20th Century.

I've read that I should notify my credit card companies of the dates and countries I'll be traveling in; and that Turkey seems to be a place where I can't even use my cards--or that the credit card companies advised me not to use my cards there due to fraud. This is so expect spending patterns (expected to the traveler herself) are not interpreted as unauthorized purchases abroad. I've had my own AMEX card denied domestically (U.S.) several times at gas stations; had to phone and confirm recent purchases, etc. So I'm definitely notifying my card companies.

Anyway, for safety / convenience / peace of mind, etc, should I:

* Do what I've always done (2 credit cards and overpay the balance on one)

OR

* Purchase a credit card(s) pre-loaded with a certain amount of money

... or something else / combination of things.

Finally, is it better to use credit cards for large purchases from trusted vendors? (e.g. pre-cruise hotels) and cash for everything else? e.g. make one or two cash withdrawals of euros from an ATM and not use the credit cards for anything else? While I love my frequent flier miles, I don't love being scammed via credit card fraud--who does?

Thanks.

Mike

Your credit card strategy is good, make sure that primary is one like Capital One with no foreign exchange fee. Like you I carried two, a backup stayed in the ship safe.

For cash like transactions, cash is the way to go. You'll find for small vendors and stands a debit like card is of little use. ATMs are available in every international airport and everywhere. Use the "real" bank ones and you should be good to support your limited cash need. If you need a huge wadd of cash for paying say private tours then you need to think carefuly if the convenience of taking it all outweigh the inconvenience of looking for a ATM in ever port to get $.

I think opening a seperate new bank account is going a bit far in caution. I'd just make sure your checking account doesn't have your life savings to limit your exposure smartly. Who'd want to keep their wadd in the low paying checking / savings account anyways

Mike, all three previous posters have covered your questions beautifully. Both Cynthia and Keith are frequent posters and savvy travelers. You will not go wrong following their advice.

BTW, I switched from a money belt to a bra stash this last trip because I was traveling in June and I sweat too much in my tummy region in the hot months. It held some folded-up cash, a credit card and an ATM card, and was very comfortable to wear all day; cost $5 at my local AAA office. (I purchased it while picking up my International Driving Permit for my Santorini car rental.)

Enjoy your trip!

I agree with the above posters. Schwab also has a credit card that charges no foreign transaction fees. We have used this card quite a bit overseas.

One time we did preload a AAA card with about $2,000. This card did not work at all while we were in Germany. We tried several different ATM's there and also in the Czech Republic. It did have the 4 digit required pin # too. It was a Visa card. So, that's when we got the Schwab card.

We don't take very much cash with us. We just stop at the first ATM in the arriving airport and get our cash for a few days.

We also have never had any trouble using our card abroad. We were in Egypt for 2 weeks and used it everywhere. If we were paying for a small souvenir we would pay cash, but most everything else was on our credit card.

We also take our Schwab Visa debit card with us. One of us carries it and the other the Schwab credit credit card. This is just in case one is stolen.

Make sure you carry all the toll free phone #'s so you can notify them if you lose your cards or by some rare chance they would get stolen.

We both use the tummy type belts. It seems to work good for both of us.

Just a warning about a pre-paid credit card we purchased for our recent cruise... We bought some euros at Travelex in the US and were talked into putting the rest of the money on their pre-paid credit card. Well, that was a waste. Almost everywhere we tried to use it all over Italy, it was denied. What a pain. We ended up using the ship's ATM to draw out US dollars to exchange on the ship or on shore for more euros. I bought lots of goodies at small stands and shops and euros cash was the way to go. I was able to use my Visa card with no problems for purchases, but tried using American Express and most places wouldn't except it. I will say one very expensive store where we made a large purchase took the AmEx, but that was it. I wouldn't recommend a pre-paid credit card.

Thanks.

Mike

That's the way to go.

I vacationed a lot in the Med this way, never had any problems.

The only time we encountered fraud with our CC, was after a trip to the US. Two months later, "someone" used a copy of our card to shop for 1000s of dollars at Walmart. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use it for something like a purchase in the Grand Bazaar or in a restaurant.

Cynthia, can you tell me why you advise against using a CC in a restaurant in Turkey? We'll be in Istanbul for 3 days in November. I've always used my Capitol One Card for meals elsewhere in Europe (never been to Turkey before). Thanks!

Cynthia, can you tell me why you advise against using a CC in a restaurant in Turkey? We'll be in Istanbul for 3 days in November. I've always used my Capitol One Card for meals elsewhere in Europe (never been to Turkey before). Thanks!

Only because -- as someone else mentioned above -- credit card fraud seems to be more rampant in Turkey than most other places in Europe. I was advised by my credit card company to use my card only where I could see the transaction. Unlike some other places in Europe, Turkey doesn't seem to use those "tableside" credit card machines. So, I just took out a little extra cash and used it.

Being that I was there for two weeks, I didn't want to risk having my card canceled on me. It might have just been an excess of caution!

I agree with the above posters. Schwab also has a credit card that charges no foreign transaction fees. We have used this card quite a bit overseas.

One time we did preload a AAA card with about $2,000. This card did not work at all while we were in Germany. We tried several different ATM's there and also in the Czech Republic. It did have the 4 digit required pin # too. It was a Visa card. So, that's when we got the Schwab card.

We don't take very much cash with us. We just stop at the first ATM in the arriving airport and get our cash for a few days.

We also take our Schwab Visa debit card with us. One of us carries it and the other the Schwab credit credit card. This is just in case one is stolen.

We are experienced travelers but in recent years have traveled less in areas where we need a bit more cash/credit. We have never used a Schwab or Capitol one card. Can you also prepay them so they can be used as ATM cards?

Can you also prepay them so they can be used as ATM cards?

A cash advance on a credit card carries very high interest. I don't think that prepaying would make a difference.

If you do not want to use an ATM card that accesses your main bank account, open a special account, possibly with another bank, and deposit enough $$ in it for your needs while traveling. Get an ATM card for that new account and then you are all set.

If, by chance, you are in a credit union, check to see what they offer. Mine has wonderful rates and fees (quite low). Better than any bank that I know of.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I ended-up doing:

1. Got all the euros I needed at an ATM in the Rome airport--after passport control, but before passing through customs / immigration. Seems like a safe place to do it, e.g. no non-travelers watching you withdraw cash to scam you later. I then distributed the euros in different places--e.g. around half in my neck pouch, and 1/4 each in different places in my luggage.

2. Used a credit card only at trusted places like my hotel, museums, automated ticket machines in Rome (but not Paris--they only accept french-style microchipped cards), and a few well known restaurants. Never used a credit card for souvenir shops or small restaurants not mentioned in guidebooks.

This worked very well for me. I think ATMs are the way to go. Was nice having euros before I "hit the street" out of the airport. All the cash change bureaus in the airports, I consider a legitimate "scam"--unless you truly have paper money you'd like to convert into another currency. You lose twice with converting this way. I have put my non-used euros at the end of my trip aside for future trips.

Archived