Why does the media only care when someone falls from a Carnival Ship?

cruisincory

I just saw this on the RCCL boards and find it interesting that I have heard nothing about this on the national news. This person fell off, went under the ship and sucked into the engine, severing several body parts.

But someone falls from a Carnival cruise, and gets rescued unharmed, and its all over the news.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1054610

There maybe several reasons why we did not here of this. First he did not fall off the Freedom of the Seas. He fell off a boat that was transferings him from Cozumel to the main land. Also, we do not know where this pax was from (he may not even be an American citizen) so media outlets may not care about one forigner (a couple hundred, maybe lol). It happened in Mexico. Maybe it didn't even happen. Also, RCI might not have notified anybody (except for family involved). Lastly, maybe the media doesn't like Carnival or RCI pays them alot. lol

I think the reason you heard about the Sensation incident was because it happened in American waters and the coast guard was needed.

This really is a horrible story. The man died when returning from an excursion to Passion Island. Here is a post from a witness that I copied from the thread on the RCI boards.

The catamaran on which he was a passenger had just returned from Passion Island, a shore excursion booked thru R.C.. We were on the deck preparing to exit onto the pier when we heard screams. Several passengers jumped down onto the platform above the rear of the starboard pontoon and attempted to pull the man out of the water, that's when they discovered he was entangled in the propulsion unit. He was looking up at us but didn't speak. Several passengers then jumped into the water to try and keep his head above water and several of us ran onto the pier to stress the urgency of the situation to the slowly approaching pier guard and get her to call whatever EMS type service that was available. The gentleman suffered massive blood loss very quickly into the water around the stern of the boat, extending out at least 20-25 ft. Medical staff finally arrived but he was probably deceased by then. It was a very tragic end to a beautiful day on Passion Island. Shortly before Freedom departed the family members disembarked into taxis and left the pier. Our prayers are with them.

According to another news article, one of the man's legs, buttocks, and testicles were severed by the propeller.

He did not fall off an RCL ship...he fell off a ferry that had nothing to do with the cruise line.

It's not that the media doesn't care if someone falls off another ship....but Carnival, for whatever reason, just has the clumsiest or nuttiest passengers, and has much more than their share (statistically speaking) of passengers falling off. They also, apparently are not as good at rescuing their own passengers as other cruise lines are.

I am sorry. I misread the article I believe. I now see that he fell off of a tender. Sorry for starting this thread.

He did not fall off a ship's tender. He fell off a passenger ferry, not associated with the cruise line.

He did not fall off a ship's tender. He fell off a passenger ferry, not associated with the cruise line.

Tender, Ferry...same difference...both float..and I didnt say anything about the "boat" being associated with a cruise line

I said it once and I will say it again. I misread the story, shouldnt have started this thread...I guess you can shoot me now.

part of the interest in the story about the Carnival rescue was besause of the ineptitude of the Carnival staff! They did not rescue the Carnival passenger, it was crew from a Disney ship that was near by that rescued him! The Carnival crew that was sent for the rescue effort forgot to untie the rescue boatfrom the ship! Good thing the Disney ship was in the area!

The of the most widly covered overboard stories was on RCCL. A few years ago when the couple on their honeymoon in the Med, and the husband with overboard. So others do happen and get coverage. Carnival just seem to have a few more than the others, but Carnival is the largest cruise line so it stands to reason that they might.

Guest bahamamama1

I read somewhere that a lot of these are suicides and even couples commiting suicide together... that is stupid and selfish. How could they subject other passengers and especially kids to such a thing...

I read somewhere that a lot of these are suicides and even couples commiting suicide together... that is stupid and selfish. How could they subject other passengers and especially kids to such a thing...

I don't think that people that are mentally ill are thinking about others..........that is part of the illness

Guest bahamamama1

hmmmmmmm, now THATS a new one.. I was not aware there was a lot of mentally ill people jumping from cruise ships.. I heard most are either suicides or drunks; but thats just what I heard, doesnt make it accurate...

but Carnival is the largest cruise line so it stands to reason that they might.

That is not accurate. Carnival is not the largest cruise line. I don't know why people keep saying this.

Carnival carries 52,398 passengers.

Royal Caribbean carries 58,099 passengers.

I see reports when people fall off RCCL so I don't think there is any bias. I think why this may have seen more coverage was that he was actually rescued alive.

Also when you are fan of something you notice things about them more often.

hmmmmmmm, now THATS a new one.. I was not aware there was a lot of mentally ill people jumping from cruise ships.. I heard most are either suicides or drunks; but thats just what I heard, doesnt make it accurate...

If you attempt Suicide you are believed to be at leaste "mentally unbalanced" if not mentally ill. That is why you will under go mental health treatment. "Why would anyone in their right mind want to kill themselves?"

You are not going to just "fall" over the railing unless you are like 8ft tall. A person must climb up onto the railing just to sit on it. So if anyone falls off a cruise ship it is intentional or they are being very stupid (drunk).

Archived