Live From The Star Princess 9/6/-9/13/2009

KLLund

Hi Kathy Thanks for posting your days on the Star. We are going from SF to Sydney on the Star this month...maybe you can answer a question for me about Wifi..heard it was in the cabins now but what are the charges?

Thanks Judy

The WiFi is working very well in the cabin. The charges are:

Pay as you go . 75 cents / minute

100 minutes - $55 (55 cents/minute)

150 minutes - $7 5 (50 cents /minute)

250 minutes - $100 (40 cents / minute)

500 minutes - $175 (35 cents / minute).

It is very easy to sign up/ pick plan/ add minutes from your cabin. Just remember that the logout is to type 1.1.1.1 into the address bar .... very important!!!

MUTS is an interesting question. I heard talk tonite that it has not been running. There were movies listed in the patter “He’s Just Not That Into You” “Monsters vs Aliens” “Mama Mia” and “Angels and Demons”. I will try to find out tomorrow if there is a problem or not.

It could be weather related ..it has been quite cold this first day.

Thanks so much! You are great to respond to so many requests! Have a wonerful cruies.

The WiFi is working very well in the cabin. The charges are:

Pay as you go . 75 cents / minute

100 minutes - $55 (55 cents/minute)

150 minutes - $7 5 (50 cents /minute)

250 minutes - $100 (40 cents / minute)

500 minutes - $175 (35 cents / minute).

It is very easy to sign up/ pick plan/ add minutes from your cabin. Just remember that the logout is to type 1.1.1.1 into the address bar .... very important!!!

Thank you so much for the info..enjoy your cruise, Judy

Ketchikan

We docked in Ketchikan at 5:30 AM and I know this because I was up taking pictures of the downtown as we sailed passed on our way to Dock #3. There was a NCL ship in dock #4, the Veendam was in Dock #1 and to Cruise West ships were in Dock #2. A full day for the merchants here in Ketchikan.

Just one teeny fly in some cruisers ointment. It is pouring down rain and in the low 50s. Yellow was the color of the day on the streets and umbrellas vied for space along the walkways. Being the hardy PNW type that we are, off we went to explore as far as my feet would allow.

I must say we haven’t actually seen Russia yet but we can tell we are getting close because every shop seemed to have Matreshka Dolls, reproduction Fabrege Eggs , amber and Russian fur hats. Well, I shouldn’t say every shop. I doubt they had them in Diamonds International, Tanzanite International or Del Sol (note I think Del Sol is particularly appropriate in a town that gets rain 240 days a year and that amounts to about 15 feet of rain we were told today).

There are some fabulous native art galleries and some wonderful native jewelry and I did not actually see anyone in DI or Del Sol or in fact any of the other chain jewelry stores.

Today was basically just a walk about tour of the town and then back to the ship. Ok, I did need to buy some mukluks but then I knew I would be doing that before we came so that is checked off the list now and in time to wear while watching the Tracy Arm Glacier in the Morning. Several excursions were cancelled due to the weather and lots of soggy people were re-boarding the ship but I didn’t see anyone in particularly bad temper from the weather so all is well aboard the Star.

We tried the sandwiches and salads (the shrimp is to die for) at the International Café. While we were there having a bite to eat, a “street performer:” entertained in the Piazza. He was spinning and balancing a huge steel framework cube. Very impressive, particularly when he took off his shirt and did some remarkable hand stands!! What a fun thing we will watch for more “street performers”

Now it is almost sail away time and time to watch the scenery in the Clarence Strait as we head toward Tracy Arm and then Juneau tomorrow. It will be a long day so some down time is a good idea!!!

We were on the Star last week, so I can answer a few questions that have been posted. MUTS worked all week, though one night did not have a scheduled feature in the evening. We watched Wolverine on MUTS last Saturday night while in Victoria. It was cold, but very comfortable with blankets and a hot drink.

Wifi in the cabins is spotty. We were in D602 and did not have Internet. I was able to get online from my laptop on Sunday in the Capri dining room waiting to disembark. Did that make a difference! So if you need wifi, hope the best but expect the worst.

The rain in Seattle last Sunday was scary! The week before it was almost 80 degrees at sailaway, but a rain deluge when we left Seattle. There were moments on the freeway that I felt very unsafe driving, and couldnt figure how there was so much traffic on a Sunday morning. The traffic levels were more like 3pm on a Tuesday afternoon!

If the weather is nice in Juneau I highly recommend the Tram. If you can get past the $27 pp fare, it;s a spectacular view. Take hiking shoes as the trails are well-maintained. BTW, outside the door of the main building where you go outside to get to the trails, there is a bin with ski poles for hiking. (Near the eagle) I only noticed them after we came back from the trails.

Enjoy your cruise. We loved the Star and plan to go again next year with our boys!

My Princess TA told me there were no longer extra charges on the ship to use your cell phone---just what your carrier charged, but when she read the 'new' policy that is not what it sounded like to me. Any update?

Also if there is a Princess access charge I suppose that would be incoming calls also so I should turn my phone off while on the ship?

Salley

My Princess TA told me there were no longer extra charges on the ship to use your cell phone---just what your carrier charged, but when she read the 'new' policy that is not what it sounded like to me. Any update?

Also if there is a Princess access charge I suppose that would be incoming calls also so I should turn my phone off while on the ship?

Salley

I used my Verizon cell on the ship in July and I received a hefty bill through Verizon for my calls. I have no clue who charged who but I paid a premium (as I expected).

Tracy Arm

We left a wake up call for 5:30 this am so as not to miss anything… and is typical I was up at 5:00 am anyway. The naturalist was speaking from the bridge and I really didn’t want to miss any of that. Dressed warmly we grabbed out handy dandy stainless coffee mugs and off we went to the International Café for the good stuff to start the day and then it was up on deck to see everything.

At 6AM we crossed the bar and it was already starting to get interesting with chunks of ice floating by the ship. (Or was the ship sailing by the chunks of ice?... for the sake of argument lets say it is both . that seemed to satisfy my nutty husband). Can you say COLD .. all together now brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Equipped with a heavy lined coat, a stocking cap big fur boots and warm coffee to hold ..I shivered away as we watched this spectacular scenery pass by. (Note to self.. gloves are a really good idea.. wish I had thought of that earlier!!)

As more and more and bluer and bluer ice floated by, Kathy, the naturalist began to make noises reminding us that it was up to the captain how far into the glacier (how close to the glacier?.. whichever) we sailed. As we got close enough to spy the Sawyer Glacier she commented that the previous week the waters had been virtually clear but because of the rain in the time between sailing a fair amount of calving must have taken place at the glacier. By now, it appears to me that if one nuts, one could walk from chunk of ice to chunk of ice for a long long way. There was an incredible amount of ice in the water and soon out naturalist was saying she had not seen this much ice in the water all season.

In short, we didn’t get very close to the glacier but just the phenomenon of so much ice was spectacular as far as I was concerned. Of course this might have been a tempered response since I knew that this afternoon we are going by helicopter to Mendenhall glacier so I was sure to get up close .. or rather to actually stand on the glacier.

The fjords that we passed to get to the Sawyer glacier were simply amazing. We had previously thought that the fjords going into Oslo were pretty awesome, but in truth they pale a bit in comparison. Alaska is certainly big .. and by that I mean everything is individually big here. The scenery is breathtaking.

Hi Everyone...

In case you haven't seen them I have pictures of the Star Princess on our personal travel website...they were taken right after drydock..

The photos are a little slow to load, just be patient..

The albums are labeled for your convenience

Alaska port photos are at the 2nd link below and you can also find my suggestions for shopping at locally owned

stores while in port

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Star_Princess_Mexico.html

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Pacific_Princess_Alaska.html

Kathy, your blogging is great! I hope you're having a great time & I look forward to seeing pics..especially some formal night photos:)

did you get to check out any tanzanite there? My dh bought me a nice necklace in Skagway. When we went to Alaska, I bought a down jacket and the whole nine yards but is was beautiful and I only needed it while on deck viewing the glaciers...I look forward to seeing Alaska again... Enjoy your week!

Michelle

Please tell about the ship itself .Layout.....Look etc I will be on it next winter and any info...SECRETS .. SHHHH ..... will be welcome!!!

I too have an aft balcony ..is it really rocky???

I have C 750

Thanks

If you have C750 on Star, you will probably have a beam on your balcony. You might want to check with your TA or Princess. We just got off of Star and our friends had this room. They were a bit unhappy about the beam, as they weren't told about it in advance.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but one of the best parts of the cruise on Star was the freshly baked cookies which were available day and night at the International Cafe on Deck 5! Yummy! They could turn almost anyone into an instant "Cookie Monster!"

OOPS ...SORRY !!!

I checked I have C752 ..my first AFT cabin

If I were to change cabins I would save just under 400$ but could be placed anywhere on the ship I know forward is not recommended in turbulent seas which South America around the horn could get

I am undecided Could you please give me an update on this cabin ....Should I switch ?

Were the people rocking and rolling in the aft ?Does one use the balcony much when it gets cold

On my Alaska voyage I did ...but I went in JULY

Michele

C752 should be fine, as it is a middle aft suite. It's the outer ones that usually have the beam! Usually when the weather is cold, the wool plaid blankets are made available for the suites. We stay out in all but the worst weather. Your balcony should have a complete overhang, too, so you do have some protection from most rain showers unless you get into a bad wind. Aft cabins are our favorties.

Sorry I haven't had a report today .. we haven't had any internet and we were busy .. I will try to get Juneau and Skagway for you tonite, however............

The Captain just announced gale force winds which have forced them to close all outside decks for the night, high seas in the passage and when we reach the Gulf of Alaska at about 3AM we are expecting "substantially high swells" .. he is sorry .. hubby is elated .. finally a substantial storm at sea (he isn't normal but that could be an entire blog in itself) .. so we will see how the internet goes!!

And Dave .. um family cruise to Alaska .. who wants in .. I promise you Char does NOT and um Bill and I will pass as well .. we are thinking this is a ONCE in a lifetime for us.. fun but well we will talk later ;)

Back to writing so I will have information for you all later tonite!!!

Kathy, your blogging is great! I hope you're having a great time & I look forward to seeing pics..especially some formal night photos:)

did you get to check out any tanzanite there? My dh bought me a nice necklace in Skagway. When we went to Alaska, I bought a down jacket and the whole nine yards but is was beautiful and I only needed it while on deck viewing the glaciers...I look forward to seeing Alaska again... Enjoy your week!

Michelle

Formal night pictures .. check .. but truly the couture of the glacier will be stunning :D wait until you see the BOOTS!!!

Archived