I need a new camera before my cruise

I bought a new camera last year with 10X zoom. However, it doesn't have an optical viewfinder and I can not get used to taking photos using the LCD screen, especially moving targets. I also find taking photos when it's bring outside a hit and miss experience. Does anyone know of a good digital camera with 10X zoom (minimum), that has a viewfinder and is easy to use. I'm not sure I'm allowed to name brands on this board but I do like Canon's Powershot cameras. Thanks

I bought a new camera last year with 10X zoom. However, it doesn't have an optical viewfinder and I can not get used to taking photos using the LCD screen, especially moving targets. I also find taking photos when it's bring outside a hit and miss experience. Does anyone know of a good digital camera with 10X zoom (minimum), that has a viewfinder and is easy to use. I'm not sure I'm allowed to name brands on this board but I do like Canon's Powershot cameras. Thanks

I think it is important to know where you are cruising. For the Baltic, Mediterranean, Asia and South America, I would suggest perhaps a DSLR. Get the two kit lenses, which combined should equal about 10X. The newest DSLRs also do HD video. I take with me both a DSLR and a subcompact digicam. This way I have the DSLR when quality is really important and I have the subcompact for when I don't feel like lugging anything heavy. You will probably find boards like Cruise Critic on some of the photography websites. Try imaging-resource.com for starters.

I think it is important to know where you are cruising...

I am curious to know how that would impact which camera to purchase :rolleyes: I use the same cameras in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, on photography expeditions, and in my own back yard.

I am with you Sue, I hate not having an optical view finder. I have a Canon Powershot S5 ( a couple of years old). It is 5 mp with a 10x zoom and image stabilization. They just came out with a new Powershot SX20 IS. 12mp, 20x optical zoom, image stabilization, takes 720p digital movies in HD. I would buy it in a heartbeat if my wife would not kill me. She seems to think 3 digital cameras is enough (I also have a small pocket size canon and an underwater camera).

Hope this helps.

Mike

I am curious to know how that would impact which camera to purchase :rolleyes: I use the same cameras in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, on photography expeditions, and in my own back yard.

I'm with you. I've been all around the world (24 years in the USAF) and I've never heard that before, even from some professional photographers.

Harlan

I have used a Canon Powershot S3 IS for several years and have been really happy with it. It has a viewfinder and an LCD but I never use the LCD except for accessing the menus.

I recently found out that it will take up to a 4 GB SDHC card which means I may be leaving my laptop at home for my next cruise.

Have a great next cruise.

I am with you Sue, I hate not having an optical view finder. I have a Canon Powershot S5 ( a couple of years old). It is 5 mp with a 10x zoom and image stabilization. They just came out with a new Powershot SX20 IS. 12mp, 20x optical zoom, image stabilization, takes 720p digital movies in HD. I would buy it in a heartbeat if my wife would not kill me. She seems to think 3 digital cameras is enough (I also have a small pocket size canon and an underwater camera).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Glad to hear you say that. I just bought that camera on the weekend and am busy trying to become familiar with all of the options before leaving on a cruise in a few weeks. The camera is fairly user-friendly, but I am not the most technologically inclined. By the way, I found the dpreview web site that was recommended in another post, really helpful in narrowing down my choices.

The Canons are really user friendly. They can be used in a simple point and shoot mode (thats why i bought the S5 IS for my mom before her Alaskan cruise a last year). And as You get more comfortable with it, you can get a lot more advanced in how use use it.

Enjoy your cruise and don't keep you eye in the viewfinder the entire time or you might miss a great cruise.

Mike

They just came out with a new Powershot SX20 IS. 12mp, 20x optical zoom, image stabilization, takes 720p digital movies in HD.

Glad to hear you say that. I just bought that camera on the weekend and am busy trying to become familiar with all of the options before leaving on a cruise in a few weeks. The camera is fairly user-friendly, but I am not the most technologically inclined. By the way, I found the dpreview web site that was recommended in another post, really helpful in narrowing down my choices.

I bought this camera over a week ago and love it. My nephew just graduated from Marine Boot Camp on Friday and I used it there, great pictures with the zoom. I got close up of him while they were in formation and they are so clear. I am so glad I purchased this camera. I also have a Canon Elpha which is great to carry around since the new one is much bigger. I have had all Canon digitial cameras and they are great. I bought the news so when we cruise I can get good zoom pictures as we come and go into the ports.

Enjoy

DonaldSC has the right idea. Check out the reviews at the link provided. It really all depends upon your personal needs in a camera, you can't compare the versatility of the digital SLRs with the compact size of the point and shoots. Personaly I have a Nikon D40, DSLR and I find it easy to take superb photos under a wide variety of situations. It is, however, a DSLR and therefore much more bulky than a point and shoot to carry. because it is a fully automatic camera that also allows you to manually adapt settings, it can be as simple as a point and shoot to use or as adaptable as most non-professionals could want it to be. Just my 2 cents.

I just bought A Canon Powershot S5 IS It does not have all the pixels that some have and it is a little heavy but it takes great pictures and it has all the things I wanted to take pictures it also has a hot shoe for indoor pictures and if you are shooting across the room it works, makes a real differance.

Being from Canada you may have to step it up a notch and get the Polaroid I think you may be able to get them cheap up there it has both types of view finder with a couple other special things it can do. You get them here in the States for about $125usd...............they have 12x zoom digital

I also have the Canon S5 IS and really like it. Simple to use and takes great pictures. I only use the view finder for taking pictures and the lcd display to review pictures and access the menu. I love my camera :D

Jess

I wanted to throw out a little balance if I can...unfortunately most people are not crazy camera nuts and often recommend whatever it is they use, or other times may be brand-loyalists that have a virtual mission to get you to buy their brand. Either way, they're not going to necessarily steer you wrong...but they may not be recommending the best camera for YOU.

Here's the thing - as long as you are buying one of the big name-brand cameras - notably Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji, or Olympus...or if overseas one could add Ricoh to that list...you can't really go too wrong. They're all quite capable for the average photographer, and the small differences between them would likely be noticed only by an avid photographer with lots of skill who pushes the boundaries of photography and routinely prints poster-sized shots. If you're viewing slideshows on a computer or TV, or printing up to 8x10"...brand is basically irrelevant. Kodak doesn't have as many on the market as they used to, and Casio and Pentax are slightly smaller players in the compact market too - but all make some nice cameras.

So what should make your decision? Key areas to think about:

1. Ergonomics. This is one of the most important factors - hold the cameras, and decide which shapes, materials, button layouts, menus, weights, sizes, and grips are comfortable for you. Everyone's hands are different, and we all have different preferences for how things are shaped and laid out...so try them and always go with one that is comfortable to use - if it isn't, you'll likely use it less, which defeats the purpose. Never buy a camera just because of the name on the front if it is uncomfortable to hold or not instinctual and comfortable to use.

2. Features. Obviously, there are lots...some you may need, some you may not. Do you want a big zoom range? Do you shoot a lot of far away subjects? Do you prefer a wider lens to fit more in close up? Do you want manual control capabilities, or prefer to just let the camera always do the work? Do you want a viewfinder or LCD or both (we know the answer to that one!)? Find the cameras that meet exactly your criteria, regardless of the name on the front, and eliminate those that don't. That will help narrow your list.

3. Price. Obviously you want to stay within a certain price - buy the most camera that you can within your budget.

After you've met all of those criteria, and you are down to just a few cameras (or hey, maybe just one!)...it'll be a lot easier to pick the one you want. Then you can look at which has the better reviews overall, which is the color you like the best, or hey...even the name on the front if you want! But give yourself the biggest selection and leave brand out of it until you've checked out the very good choices out there in the market, so you don't end up passing up the perfect camera for you.

In the superzoom compact market, I'd definitely consider putting the following on your list of cameras to look at or consider:

Canon SX10 or SX20, Fuji S2000HD or S200EXR, Nikon P80 or P90, Olympus SP590UZ or SP565UZ, Panasonic Lumix ZS1, FZ28, or FZ35, Sony H50 or Sony HX1. All are versatile superzoom cameras with decent-sized LCDs and viewfinders as well.

Hope that helps.

I guess I could have been clearer. Many people, including me, have been very satisfied with digicams. However, one is tempted to upgrade to a DSLR often due to a particular motivation. For me, it was a planned cruise, which we unfortunately had to cancel at the last minute, from Valparaiso, Chile to Buenos Aires, Argentina. I felt that I would get better pictures of the fjords and penguins with a DSLR. Since getting the DSLR, I also have been using it in my own back yard. With the camera's ability to capture several images a second, I have succeeded in getting a picture of four Sheltie dogs all looking in the same direction. (It took 200 pictures!) With less noise in low light, I got great pictures of fireworks on the 4th of July.

I guess the point I was making was that if I were returning to ports that I already have many pictures of, I might have been less inclined to incur the expense of the DSLR. I now have no regrets on my the decision to get the DSLR. I still might prefer to carry my subcompact and leave the DSLR on the ship when both the lighting is good and when the places I go to are so familiar to me.

Sometimes I may carry both cameras, as my digicam has high def video capabilities, which my one year old DSLR does not.

Archived