Would you like to be my Rome travel guide?

Packman1000

We are planning to do 2 nights in Rome - post cruise. Our ship docks at 7 AM on a Saturday. We plan to take the "free" cruise transportation to the airport, then hop in a cab or the train to our hotel and drop our bags.

1. Not looking for specific hotel recommendations, but I am looking for recommendations on the best area to get a hotel. We are avid walkers (10 miles a day is okay), would like to see the Vatican, and the regular sights in central historic Rome. Looking at moderate cost hotel - $250/ night or less.

2. We will be in Rome on the last Sat. and Sun. of the month. Should we go to the Vatican on Saturday (will we make it in time? should we buy tickets in advance?), or Sunday, the free day (crowds, lines, etc. - when is the best time to go?). Do you have to just stand in line on the free Sunday or can you buy tickets?

3. Can we fit most of the rest of the main sights of the historic city into one day? Again, we prefer to walk, and not take cabs, buses, metro, unless it makes sense to save time.

On Monday morning, we will take a cab to the airport for a 9:20 AM flight home. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to advise us on our itinerary for Saturday and Sunday.

Many thanks!!

For your return flight you many know this aleady but be sure to arrive at the airport at least two hours before the flight which is a requirement for international flights plus you may want to get there even earlier as the airport can be rather chaotic.

We love to walk as well. I would go to a web site such as frommers.com and look at a map of where the key sites are and start looking for hotels that allow you to walk to see the sites. If you like to walk as we do, you'll really enjoy it.

Keith

1. Not looking for specific hotel recommendations, but I am looking for recommendations on the best area to get a hotel. We are avid walkers (10 miles a day is okay), would like to see the Vatican, and the regular sights in central historic Rome. Looking at moderate cost hotel - $250/ night or less.

The areas most tourists focus on are Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori and Piazza della Rotonda (aka the Pantheon); this is the heart of the centro storico. There are also plenty of wonderful hotels near the Vatican/Prati area in the northwest and around the Colosseum in the southeast, the only concern about these areas is that you are at one end or the other rather than the middle of the centro storico.

However, if you walk ten miles a day, you'll find that Rome won't challenge you much - it's a very compact city.

2. We will be in Rome on the last Sat. and Sun. of the month. Should we go to the Vatican on Saturday (will we make it in time? should we buy tickets in advance?), or Sunday, the free day (crowds, lines, etc. - when is the best time to go?). Do you have to just stand in line on the free Sunday or can you buy tickets?

If it were me, I'd go to the Vatican museums immediately after dropping my bags at the hotel on Saturday. I should admit that I've never tried to go to the museums on the free Sunday, so my reaction is pure instinct based on what I've read about the crowds on the free day. After all, the museums are packed when there is a fee ... but whatever you decide to do, get tickets in advance.

3. Can we fit most of the rest of the main sights of the historic city into one day? Again, we prefer to walk, and not take cabs, buses, metro, unless it makes sense to save time.

If by "fit" you mean observe from the outside as you dash by, sure. If you actually want to experience them, no. As I said, Rome is compact, but it's one of the world's great treasures, with buildings that have been standing for nearly 2,000 years and a good portion of the world's greatest art within their walls.

Pretty much any guidebook will give you a good idea of what Rome has to offer, and you'll see for yourself how close everything is to everything else. With a little planning, you can move from one thing to another on foot and never be "in transit" for more than about five minutes, usually much less.

We are planning to do 2 nights in Rome - post cruise. Our ship docks at 7 AM on a Saturday. We plan to take the "free" cruise transportation to the airport, then hop in a cab or the train to our hotel and drop our bags. Are you sure the shuttle is free? Even if it is, I don't know that I'd waste time doing this. Hop on the train (or arrange transportation) and head directly into Rome.

1. Not looking for specific hotel recommendations, but I am looking for recommendations on the best area to get a hotel. We are avid walkers (10 miles a day is okay), would like to see the Vatican, and the regular sights in central historic Rome. Looking at moderate cost hotel - $250/ night or less. I have stayed in several different locations around Rome and for a quick visit, I strongly recommend staying in either the Pantheon or Piazza Navona area is the most central as well as the most pleasant in the evening. Both locations are good for walkers; easy to get to the Vatican area, Colosseum/Forum area, or to Trevi/Spanish steps. For a hotel in your price range, try the Albergo Cesari.

2. We will be in Rome on the last Sat. and Sun. of the month. Should we go to the Vatican on Saturday (will we make it in time? should we buy tickets in advance?), or Sunday, the free day (crowds, lines, etc. - when is the best time to go?). Do you have to just stand in line on the free Sunday or can you buy tickets? I would not recommend going on Sunday unless you really enjoy wall-to-wall people. Saturday afternoon would be your best bet. If you do decide to go on Sunday, you cannot purchase an advance ticket. I don't know if even private guides can "skip the line" on a free Sunday.

3. Can we fit most of the rest of the main sights of the historic city into one day? Again, we prefer to walk, and not take cabs, buses, metro, unless it makes sense to save time. Yes, if you do the Vatican on Saturday, you should be able to easily fit the Colosseum and Forum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and probably one more thing in on Sunday. One note: most shops (except tourist-centered ones) are closed on Sundays.

On Monday morning, we will take a cab to the airport for a 9:20 AM flight home. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to advise us on our itinerary for Saturday and Sunday. See my suggestions below. I accept Paypal. (Just kidding! ;))

Many thanks!!

Suggested itinerary:

Saturday afternoon: Vatican museum first; exit the Sistine chapel directly into St. Peters to avoid the security line wait. See St. Peters and climb the dome (terrific views over Rome, especially nice late afternoon).

Saturday night: Enjoy a nice dinner. If food is more important, try one of the often recommended restaurants like Piperno in the Ghetto area. If people-watching is more important, find an open-air restaurant in the Pantheon or Piazza Navona area. After dinner, enjoy a "passegiata" (Italian for promenade), try a gelato, and walk over to see Trevi fountain at night.

Sunday morning: If you're staying near the Pantheon, duck in to see it early this morning, it's best viewed without crowds. Walk to Colosseum/Forum area early before it gets very crowded. See the Colosseum first, then the Forum (and, if you are interested, do Palatine Hill as well). This will take most of the morning.

Sunday lunch: If you're looking for another good restaurant experience, try La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali (via Madonna dei Monti, 16) for lunch. If you're a "grab and go" person, there are a number of reasonable places in the via Cavour area (across from the Forum/Colosseum, on the same side of the street as the Metro station).

Sunday afternoon: Most of Rome's museums are open on Sundays. If you are interested, you could choose to see the Capitoline museum or make advance reservations to see the Borghese Gallery (two of my top choices).

If you'd rather walk, you can take a nice loop from the Forum area toward the Tiber, passing the Theater of Marcellus, walking through the old Jewish ghetto area, and crossing the bridge to Trastevere for a wander, before heading back to your hotel for a brief rest before dinner.

Or, if you'd rather see some of Rome's interesting churches, San Clemente and San Pietro in Vincoli are near the Colosseum, Santa Maria in Trastevere is in Trastevere, and Santa Maria sopra Minerva is near the Pantheon. Just check hours of opening, as some may have shortened hours on Sundays.

Sunday evening: Ask your concierge for a dinner recommendation; some restaurants are closed on Sunday evenings. Something in the Spanish steps neighborhood would be nice, allowing you to walk through that area and see the Spanish steps if you are so inclined.

Wow! Thank you all very much for the wonderful advice. We are going on this trip with a much shorter planning window than I am used to, so this will help greatly. I am reading a Rick Steve's book now and that is also helpful as we have never been to Italy.

Cynthia, we can get free transportation to the airport from the crusie port as it's part of a package we have. However, if there is a better way without spending a lot on the transportation, we could skp the shuttle. I'm sure it will be a bit slower as we'll have to wait for others.

Thanks again!!

Sunday morning: If you're staying near the Pantheon, duck in to see it early this morning, it's best viewed without crowds. Walk to Colosseum/Forum area early before it gets very crowded. See the Colosseum first, then the Forum (and, if you are interested, do Palatine Hill as well). This will take most of the morning.

Cynthia, because it is an active church, I believe the Pantheon is closed for private services on Sunday mornings until around 10:30 am. All the tourists who don't know this queue up outside and create a huge mob by mid-morning so it will not be possible to duck in early or quickly on a Sunday.

Cynthia, we can get free transportation to the airport from the crusie port as it's part of a package we have. However, if there is a better way without spending a lot on the transportation, we could skp the shuttle. I'm sure it will be a bit slower as we'll have to wait for others.

Thanks again!!

Please remember that Civitavecchia, Fiumicino and Roma are in triangle geographically and they are not near each other! So it is a huge waste of your time and money to go from Civitavecchia to Fiumcino and then to Roma. I'd try to get my money back from your pre-paid transfer to the airport, and plan to go directly from Civitavecchia port to Roma. The best and most convenient way is a pre-arranged private transfer but this is the most costly. The cost however can be substantially reduced by sharing the transfer with others from your cruise (via your roll call). As you seem to be fit, the train is a good affordable option if you can handle all your luggage yourself. Remember you'll still have to walk or taxi to the hotel.

By the way, what time of year are you visiting Roma? Much of my (and others) advice would depend on the season you are visiting.

if you already have a shuttle to the airport I would use it...you may want to stay out by the airport..this is a bit of a pain for siteseeing but will reduce your travel time to the airport on the day you leave...there are trains from the airport into the city...

in the time you have you will not have a lot of time to go into stuff...especially museums. the vatican on its own can take days...going inside the church is a must but the Sistine Chapel while amazing may take too much of your valuable time..but if its in your top 5 go for it

go to the library and get a couple of videos on rome...rick steves if you can find it...make a list of the stuff you really want to see and prioritize it...expect not to see it all and also leave some explore time...

I would also not waste a lot of time eating...which is a shame as Rome has great restaurants...grab a sandwich at a bar where you see locals eating...or make a picnic and enjoy it al fresco

just be sure to throw a coin in the Trevi so you will make it back

Cynthia, because it is an active church, I believe the Pantheon is closed for private services on Sunday mornings until around 10:30 am. All the tourists who don't know this queue up outside and create a huge mob by mid-morning so it will not be possible to duck in early or quickly on a Sunday.

That's true, I wasn't thinking of Sunday services there. Although I think I may have gone in very early on a Sunday morning once, there are no guarantees! (Rome being Rome, there are 3 or 4 exceptions to every rule....)

To be on the safe side, Packman could plan to get there by 7pm on Saturday evening and spend a half hour there before it closes. Puts you in a convenient location for dinner anyway.

if you already have a shuttle to the airport I would use it...you may want to stay out by the airport..this is a bit of a pain for siteseeing but will reduce your travel time to the airport on the day you leave...there are trains from the airport into the city...

As the OP has two full days post-cruise, I would personally NOT waste time going to or staying near the airport. Unless one is on a very very tight budget, the convenience, time-savings and overall experience of staying in the city more than offset any small benefit of not having to get up an hour earlier on Monday morning.

..I mostly agree with you..but since they have a shuttle already it may still be better...can check in at the hotel post shuttle..lose the bags..then head out...nice to stroll the steets in the evening but you can still do that staying at the airport...you mostly lose some ambiance..my first stay in Rome was at the British School...nothing is ever going to match that so I am also jaded

..I mostly agree with you..but since they have a shuttle already it may still be better...can check in at the hotel post shuttle..lose the bags..then head out...nice to stroll the steets in the evening but you can still do that staying at the airport...you mostly lose some ambiance..my first stay in Rome was at the British School...nothing is ever going to match that so I am also jaded
You lose much more than ambiance--you end up wasting hours and hours of your time, and you don't have as much flexibility to rest, etc. Consider the two alternatives for the OP's two days:

1. Wait for cruise shuttle to Civitavecchia to FCO hotel (50-60 min). Wait for and take hotel shuttle from Fiumicino to Roma (60 min+). Tour all day with no possibility of taking a break or resting at your hotel. Wait for and take shuttle back to Fiumcino (60 min+). Next day, another over two hours roundtrip on the hotel shuttle. Also, due to the hotel shuttle's fixed schedule, you end up wasting two precious evenings sitting around in your Fiumcino area hotel with nothing to do. On Monday, wait and take hotel shuttle to airport (10-15 minutes). Total estimated time waiting for and riding in transfers: Minimum 5 to 6 hours.

2. Take pre-arranged transfer (60 min) or walk and take train (90 min+) directly from Civitavecchia to Roma. Sleep in, get up early, enjoy late evening strolls; do whatever you want at your leisure for the next two days without worrying about a shuttle schedule, and when and if it will arrive on time, or leave you stranded late in the city. On Monday, take pre-arranged transfer (45 min) or take Leonardo (60 min+) to FCO. Total estimated time in transfers: Approximately 2 hrs

So the real question is: What is your time worth? Unless you simply cannot afford a hotel for over 100 Euros/night, the hours saved avoiding multiple and long shuttle rides makes staying downtown an absolute no-brainer in my opinion. Ambiance is merely a bonus.

No question IMO; you definitely should stay in Rome, not at the airport.

The evening stroll around the Old Rome (Campo di' Fiori, Pantheon, Piazza Navona) mostly pedestrian streets area post-dinner is wonderful!

Our last two visits we stayed at the same hotel near Campo di'Fiori, great for our evening strolls as well as for our sightseeing because we were just a few minutes from the Largo Argentina transportation hub (buses to everywhere and tram to Trastavere) when our feet wore out.

Thanks again, to all. Great conversation and ideas. I think we have decided to try to find some ship mates that are going to Roma and see if we can't line up a group to use Rome Cabs. We are actually on Windstar on a private group trip with 150 others, so we should be able to find a few others that are staying in the city. The cost of the cab/van split 8 ways is a bargain.

I also think we will stay at a hotel in central Rome (will be there the last week of October). Then the cab can take us direct to the hotel and even if we have to spend a bit more on the cab, we'll save time for sightseeing. The hotel we are looking at is Albergo Cesari - is this a good choice for a moderate hotel?

Seeing the Pantheon, Forum and Palatime Hill later on Saturday afternoon seems like a great idea to me. I've read that sunsets there are tremendous (so long as there is sun). So it will be the Vatican late morning and early PM on Saturady, the Pantheon later in the day. Then Sunday we are just going to wander, see a few more must-see's, and enjoy whatever the city brings our way.

Little by little, with the help of wonderful folks like you that have assisted, I feel more comfortable each day with our trip. Since this is our first Eurpoean trip, we are a bit intimidated, but certainly excited!

I also think we will stay at a hotel in central Rome (will be there the last week of October). Then the cab can take us direct to the hotel and even if we have to spend a bit more on the cab, we'll save time for sightseeing. The hotel we are looking at is Albergo Cesari - is this a good choice for a moderate hotel?

The Albergo Cesari is an excellent choice for a moderate hotel in a great location.

Enjoy your trip!!

Most of Rome's museums are open on Sundays. If you are interested, you could choose to see the Capitoline museum or make advance reservations to see the Borghese Gallery (two of my top choices).

Those two museums are my personal favorites too!! I feel blasphemous whenever I recommend them over the hordes of people shoulder-to-shoulder in the Vatican museum. Visiting the Capitoline is wonderful - an outstanding collection and no crowds. The Berninis in the Borghese are simply divine.

Packman, when you walk through the Forum, you'll end up right behind the Capitoline Museum. It's well worth a visit.

Archived