Hello from Alaska!

bepsf

[quote name='jhannah']That's great! Princess allows ONE bag to travel with you during Denali days (plus your carryon for the train.)

Thanks for the regular updates. Your experiences closely mirror ours last month, except for the fanbelt thing![/quote]

When are you gonna get to the part about being on a cruise......................

Hello from Anchorage!

Relaxing in my room at the Westmark in Anchorage - Susan took umbrage with my description of the Westmark Fairbanks as equivalent of a Motel 6: I need to ask her how she rates this hotel since the place isn't near as nice as the one in Fairbanks? *Incidentally, we dropped some of our cruisetour folks off at the Hilton: I'm betting that they rated the Hilton for being Suite passengers, although I'm told that place isn't much better...

That said, the train ride was just beautiful. Although we didn't see any moose or other wildlife along our route, we enjoyed beautiful weather and AMAZING scenery (at least till we reached the stripmalls of Wasilla...). We had clear views of the Alaskan Range, the southern face of Denali - tho once these were out of sight, the rolling hills and river valleys appeared much like the sparsely populated areas of Central Pennsylvania. *Our views were enhanced by being in the first car of the train today - so we could look straight forward and look ahead over the locomotive!

Another thing of interest is that todays train consisted of a locomotive, four HAL cars and a pair of Princess coaches. The train we were on Tuesday consisted of a locomotive, two RCCL/X cars, then the HAL cars and Princess cars. The cars are all 89' Superdomes: *coach seating above accessed via spiral staircase from the lobby which has a pair of lavatories, and opens to the dining room with the galley beyond. The HAL cars are paired so that one car will have a galley that serves it's own dining room plus the dining room of the following coach. *The car without a galley has a larger lobby with a few seats and a mini-giftshop plus an open-air observation platform.
Food and service aboard the train is quite good - the upper level has a bar/drink station for continuous beverage service with an assortment of hot and cold drinks, beer, wine and cocktails. *The dining room has a menu for each meal - breakfast is good, but lunch and dinner are better: on par with what's available aboard the HAL ships in the Main Dining Room. *Service is at booths for 4 on white tablecloths and heavy china with silver and heavy glassware.*

One disappointment (aside from the worn carpets and terrifically ugly seating fabrics) was that the cars were originally wired for sound - music and scenic commentary channels accessed via wall-mounted consoles, but I learned that this was the first year that HAL discontinued it's use.

We enjoyed a spirited group on our railcar today plus a funny commentator and a lovely bartender who contributed to the commentary as well as passing around her personal photobook of her world travels, including pix of her service in the USAF in Iraq. *Our tour guides, Margaret and Tessa, were excellent too - excited about finishing this season but continuing their personalized and thoughtful workin their own spirited style. *They bade us goodbye at the hotel with hugs and well-wishes - I'll certainly miss having them with us when we head to the ship tomorrrow...

Well, it's bags-out at 8am tomorrow, so I'd better post this (I have 3G access here - Yippee!) and get to bed so we can meet my Sister and her Mother-In-Law, Nisi, for breakfast and our friend Liz from Seattle for the trainride to Seward and the next 7 days aboard Ryndam.

TTFN! **

Hi brian,

Love reading about your trip to Alaska. How do you like the longer day light hours. What time does the sun rise and set? When we were in Alaska the longer day light hours kept me awake. At 10 PM I felt like it was 3 PM in the afternoon.

Maria

Uh, maybe once the cruise starts. :rolleyes:

He's probably just anxious to read that part. I, however, am thoroughly enjoying reading your adventurous thread, Brian. I've often wondered how these trips go when you have the land tour alongside the cruise. Thanks very much for posting here.:) I'm learning alot about wildlife. I've never seen a bear. That must be great fun.

Another thank you here for a great ongoing read:) Describing your wildlife viewing and train ride to dh...he even said he might like it:D from someone who does not want to "do" Alaska!!

When you can...would you describe exactly what your tour was and was it booked in conjunction with your cruise?

And...kudos to you re doing the posts from you Iphone...amazing:D

When you can...would you describe exactly what your tour was and was it booked in conjunction with your cruise?
From post #1:
Stay tuned for updates on my family's adventure on Cruisetour 16 Southbound and the Ryndam!
Cruisetours are found in the HAL Alaska brochures.

Hello from Seward and Ryndam!

Today was a long and sometimes crazy day - it started out with luggage issues... (Again with the luggage!)

Bags out for pickup and delivery to the ship was 8am: I was up and tossing things into the bags when I heard a commotion out in the corridor @ 8.05 - I peeked out and saw piles of luggage everywhere and the bellhop piling bags on his cart, so I asked if he had room gor more. *He told me that he was coming back shortly, so ran back in and started zipping bags closed when I realized that I hadn't enough Ryndam tags! *I tossed on a shirt and loafers and ran for the slow-as-molasses elevators. When I finallyade it down to the lobby, there was no one at the HAL desk, so without seeing any tags out, I eventually just went behind the desk and started riffling through drawers to find the correct tags - as I did this, another fellow from the tour came along and asked what I was doing behind the desk! *As I explained my situation, I opened a third drawer which contained tags of all sorts - and eventually found the banded tags I needed - and he replied "Well, I guess you found 'em!". I came around the end of the desk to the elevators clutching my tags when I realized that there was a line for elevators: afraid that the luggage fellow was going to leave without my bags, I had to cut in line to get upstairs! *Mission Accomplished!

We met downstairs and had breakfast, then I walked over to the Captain Cook where my sister and her MIL were staying: OMG, what a Beautiful Hotel! *It was clearly built in the 70's, but had been beautifully maintained and is full of lovely artwork and boutiques as well as the Princess Office - this is obviosly the place where Princess puts it's tour passengers. The Captain Cook really puts the Westmark to shame! *

After taking a taxi out to Earthquake park, we returned to the Cook and inquired at the Princess Desk for the shuttle to the Airport and the Train to Seward: the young lady at the Princess Desk was very kind and efficient, making a couple calls and having a motorcoach swing by to pick us up - and she took charge of the luggage for my Sister and her MIL despite the fact that we weren't Princess passengers!!! *I can't emphasize enough: the Captain Cook and the young lady at the Princess desk are a Class Act!

We rode out to the Airport where we met w/ Liz and soon thereafter Mom and Dad on the HAL shuttle. *(Susan and John chose to do the Kenai Fjords) The trainride was in a single-level dome/cafe car - and consisted of 4 more hours of beautiful scenery with drinks and good food plus fun conversation.*

We were the last group to arrive at the pier - the train dropped us off and we walked right over to the terminal to check in. Poor Liz: since we added her to out reservation within 30 days of departure, they didn't have a card/package gor her despite the fact that she had completed her online documents! *The folks were tearing down the computers, etc while we were trying to get Liz checked in: we were the last two passengers on the ship! *

We found our cozy outside stateroom where my luggage was waiting - Liz's luggage had been delivered, but the steward didn't see her name on the manifest so her bags were removed! *(They were returned sometime while we were at dinner). After gathering in Ocean Bar for cocktails we moved on to Table 65 where we watched through the great windows as sailed away from Seward and enjoyed our first dinner together aboard the beautiful and elegant Ryndam. :)

Hello from Hubbard Glacier!

Today has been a lovely, restful and quiet sea day - and i write this woke up after a restful sleep and unpacked & sent clothes out for laundry and pressing. *After dressing, went up to Lido for a quick omelet and tea overlooking the end-of-season sale in the midship Lido. Then wandered a bit and found some of the gang having brekky so we sat and chatted for a bit before continuing down to Explorer's Lounge for the CC Meet and Greet. Unfortunately, our stay was cut short by boat drill at 10.30 - but at least it was very brief and permitted us to witness a pod of dolphins cavorting just off the side of the ship - best boat-drill ever!

We kibitzed around, did some shopping and ran a couple errands, then gathered at M&D's to walk down for a lovely luncheon in the Dining Room - as we finished, Captain came on the com ("Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls!") did his very entertaining midday announcement. He is so very chatty and funny - we hardly need a Cruise Director! *This was when Liz informed us that she had an invite to the Bridge for later this afternoon, as her late husband had served as a security officer for several years aboard the HAL ships...

After lunch, we trooped up to Crows Nest and secured our places at the bar from which we viewed Hubbard Glacier in all it's big, blue glory while sipping cocktails :). (I even recognized one of the bartenders from our Volendam cruise a couple years back!)

We made it incredibly close to the face, and as the Captain swung the vessel alongside, we trooped out to the open decks to get a larger view. Shortly after, some of us wandered down to M&D's where we stood on their balcony and gazed as the glacier crackled and calved numerous times! *Once our side was spun away from the glacier, I took my leave as the laundry attendant delivered the dry-cleaning and pressing for tonight's Welcome toast and formal dinner...

He's probably just anxious to read that part. I, however, am thoroughly enjoying reading your adventurous thread, Brian. I've often wondered how these trips go when you have the land tour alongside the cruise. Thanks very much for posting here.:) I'm learning alot about wildlife. I've never seen a bear. That must be great fun.

Never seen a bear? Meet me in the Lido before I've had my coffee.... ;)

Hello from Sitka!

Dinner last night was fabulous - our waiter, Pandu, takes such hood care of all us at Table 65 and Virginia and George in the Ocean Bar always see is coming and are prepared with our drinks and a fine selection of songs.*

Before dinner, we made it into the Captain's Welcome reception - very few people are introduced anymore which is kinda sad...

...and no nuts are served. :(

(BTW- Ocean Bar serves goldfish crackers on casual nights rather than peanuts - Ugh! *At least there are still good nuts on formal night...)

Today we arrived into Sitka a bit late due to heavy winds - I awoke to the sounds of the electric motors dropping the tender platform, the tender davits dropping the boats and the anchor chains - a rather effective alarmclock! ;)

Met the gang in the Lido for late breakfast, then once "Open Tenders" was announced, we made our way down and onto a waiting tender. Since our time in town was so limited, we immediately trooped off to the Totem Pole park where we walked thru the woods and also got to see the remains of salmon spawning. *Then back into town and past the old Liberal Arts College (now closed) where we enjoyed a lunch at a cafe overlooking the harbor (and the volunteer fire department making a rescue from a boat moored at a dock). We continued into town and did some window-shopping, visited the local Lutheran Church (as much history as the Russian Church, but Free!) and up to Castle Hill before returning to the tender dock. *It may not seem like alot, but I tried to pack in as much of Sitka as possible into the 4 1/2 hours we had available to us.*

On the way, We made a pitstop in the Visitors Center where a local fellow was taking a survey of cruise visitors on how to make Sitka more enjoyable -we basically told him "Nothing!". We all agree that we love Sitka just as it is and that we don't want a big pier, a slew of Diamonds International and Starbucks Coffee, etc, etc.*

Well, were back aboard ship and they're pulling in the tenders and preparing to weigh anchor - about an hour early due to the weather conditions: Captain says to expect rough seas tonite! *:D

Tonight is a casual night and we might try to see the show if it plays - better get this posted before we're out of range.*

TTFN!*

Silversea had us stay at the Captain Cook last month, the hotels 70's decor runs right into the rooms and with no air conditioning, even a 65 degree day heats up the rooms....a very uncomfortable couple of nights. Many of us wished we had stayed at a hotel with A/C. The Crows Nest restaurant was nice and about as good as one will get in Anchorage.

Brian...I'm really enjoying your Alaska trip thread..It's brought back nice memories for us..Had to laugh about your take on the Westmark Fairbanks..We stayed at the Westmark Anchorage first & then at the Fairbanks Westmark, which we thought was much better but still long in the tooth..

Have a nice cruise...

Betty

Hello from Skagway and the Yukon!

Last night was pretty quiet: M&D abandoned the group for a casual/early dinner in the Lido but met us for a quick drink in Ocean Bar where George Evans and the Neptune Trio continued their nightly entertainments and*a certain fellow passenger who I'm told is also a*former Miss America (I wont say the year in deference to her) stopped*by to say "Hello"...*

Side note: *When I met M&D earlier in Fairbanks, I learned that they had not recieved the gift credit for Pinnacle or the Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries I had ordered for them to be delivered aboard their northbound Statendam cruise. Liz suggested that I speak w the GRM at the front desk who took the limited information I had available and promised to do the research necessary. Well, tonite Mom gave me a big kiss tonite, thanking me for the gift card, etc which had been delivered for Pinnacle and a plate of Chocolate-Covered Strawberries. :D

One thing that was a bit disconcerting last evening was that the servers in the bars were dressed in jeans and casual shirts/tshirts/etc - apparently since it was "Country Western" night later in the Crows Nest. To me, it just looked like Casual Friday - but in some cases sloppier. I don't think it's something I care for since one can hardly tell the servers from certain passengers who might be returning from ashore.*

(And that's all we'll say about dresscodes on this thread! ;) ). They are however doing 2-1 cocktails in the evening: Early Happy Hour is in the Ocean Bar and Late Happy Hour in the Piano Bar. (I guess that somewhat offsetts the increase in drink prices: after tip, a Maker's Mark Manhattan is nearly $10)

Dinner was just lovely as usual - One thing that I might mention is that the waiter brings me a special plate of GF bread to enjoy with my dinner every evening, and I also receive the next evening's dinner menu at the end of the meal so I may make my selections for the next evening and the chef can ensure that my choices are prepared Gluten-Free. *Another thing that occurred is that I have an admirer aboard who sent our Wine Steward up asking me to select a bottle of wine at his expense: *I therefore chose an Australian Red in my benefactor's honor which we'll enjoy this next evening when everyone is at table) :)

After dinner we adjourned to Ocean Bar for a post-prandial, and we enjoyed a short chat w/ singer George Evans as well as my Aussie admirer, but we called it an early evening (11.30-ish?) since we had an early tour out of Skagway.*

This morning we were awakened by the bow thrusters and electric motors up on the forward mooring deck as Captain Conyer secured Ryndam to the pier in Skagway. *As I glanced out our window, I could see the White Pass Train coaches awaiting tour passengers on our pier, and on the rock face of the mountain behind, large painted graffiti from the various cruiseships - * some including the names of the captains and the line logos!

As I exited the ship and walked up the pier to our tour coach, I looked back at the ship and the windows of the rooms on my deck at eye-level: *I found the window for my stateroom and waved at Liz inside, then noticed my friendly steward in the cabin next door making the beds, so he and I grinned and waved at one another too!

We boarded our coach and were driven up the White Pass and into British Columbia and eventually the Yukon Territory, Canada. *Not much wildlife, just a few eagles and some ground squirrels in Carcross, Yukon Territory - well, except for the taxidermy museum at Caribou Crossing where we saw all kinds of stuffed animals from the viscinity including a 36,000 year old Bison (extinct) and a Wooly Mammoth (extinct) *While we were there, we had a*nice warm BBQ*chicken lunch (extinct), did some shopping (no kidding?) and saw some

SledDogs & a pair of tame bunny rabbits (quite alive, and not on the

Menu)

Did I mention that while in Carcross, we came across "Gold Rush Sushi" - the northernmost Sushibar in Canada? *(More like a Sushi-Wagon). Unfortunately, it was closed for the season - but the tourguide/driver says the proprietress' food is quite good (She' s from Japan - so it must be!)

As I wrote this on the coach back to Alaska where we're to meet the train back - we spotted a Black Bear on the side of the road, minding his own business eating berries...

...the rest of the ride down to Frazier is through some fog and drizzle - looks like the ride back may be cold and grey.*

Just boarded the White Pass Traincar in Frazier. It consists of a narrow-gauge railway with vintage wooden coaches with clerestory/monitor-rooves. Since the coaches are so small and narrow, the bench seats are quite narrow as well with backs that flip so that one fan face fore or aft. *It's amazing how unbelievably rude some people can be: a couple just took up 8 seats (a pair of facing seats on both sides of the aisle) for the two of them! *Our group of 5 is crammed into just 3 of these narrow benches...

The scenery is spectacular - the weather seems to have cleared up a bit- we're riding on the tracks located on the opposite face of the uber-deep gorge that we drove in on the highway this morning. *But the weather was just too cold and windy to stick around and do any shopping in Skagway, plus Mom was catching cold so when the train arrived at the station we ran an errand but returned to Ryndam as soon as we could.

More soon - TTFN!

Archived