Hello from Alaska!

bepsf

Just boarded the Alaska Airlines flight to Seattle and Fairbanks and waiting for the aircraft to board.

Stay tuned for updates on my family's adventure on Cruisetour 16 Southbound and the Ryndam!

One interesting thing to note is that all my updates will be via iPhone: I'm not bringing the laptop and won't be using onboard computers will us used. I'll attempt to do this all via the 3G Network: No internet minutes (I hope!)

Well the stewardess has my cocktail order and they want to close the aircraft doors, so I'll check in again later - TTFN!

Aboard the flight: *Alaska Airlines SFO to Seattle

You may have noticed the sad affairs of air travel lately: *Well, the first thing I noticed upon boarding was that this isn't Virgin America! *I'm in First Class and I have about half the legroom than I did on my recent trip to Vegas aboard Virgin due to a section that carries about twice the number of persons in an area that's only slightly larger. *And despite bring in First, the person in the seat ahead of me just reclined and it feels like they're nearly in my lap. There are nowhere the creature comforts that I enjoyed on Virgin last month such as elecctric recliners w footrests, individual entertainment screens, etc. but it's the best I could get to Alaska. *The stewardess is splendid tho - I enjoy being called by name, and She's bringing a Mimosa and some breakfast nibblies shortly - the treatment I'm receiving is certainly VIP level. * I sure feel sorry for the folks in the back of the plane...

I might add that the R/T First Class ticket was only @40% more than the full-fare economy ticket I would have needed to purchase in order to use AA miles for the upgrade - so rathen than burn miles on an upgrade, I'm getting quadrupple miles for booking first and using an AA credit card to pay for the flight - I'm certain i'll use those miles for a another flight to meet another cruise.*

As you may know, packing is one of my least favorite chores before leaving on vacation. I really tried to limit my packing this time to two checked bags and one carryon...

... I was up until 11.30 last night, and when two bags were full, I realized that I still had no underwear or toiletries packed, so out came the 3rd bag! *That third bag is costing me an extra few $$$ in excess baggage charges since one only gets two free bags in First on Alaska...

...at least I was able to limit myself to one carryon and no briefcase since I'm not carrying the laptop and using iPhone instead to post, email, text, etc. (inflight music is nice too!)

In case you're wondering *how I'm doing all this writing while up in the air, I'm using the "Notes" function on the iPhone to type this up. I intend to "Select" and "Paste" these missives to my CC.com*thread when I get someplacee that has a 3G signal.

Well, we're somewhere over Portland and brekky is here!

TTFN!*

Hello from SeaTac!

Golly, it's sunny and beautiful here! *When I left SFO, it was cool and foggy - and we had thunder & lightning last nite (but little rain)

Once off the plane, I realized that I had only a boarding pass for the SFO-SEA leg of the trip! *Fortunately, it appears that the luggage is checked thru to Fairbanks. How does that work? *Went to a kiosk in the terminal to get a boarding pass for this flight: *it says something about luggage fees- this might get interesting...

Brekky was very nice: *fresh fruit, a warm bearclaw and so e yogurt: all on china w/ proper silverware! *(I thought that was outlawed a few years back). Anywho, Cheri, our flight attendant was a gem and brought a second Mimosa (I don't think they know about Wang-Wangs...)

BTW- I noticed that pasting my blurbs into CC.com adds little stars here and there. Dunno why that is, but I hope you all can bear with that litle fluke over these next couple of weeks.*

Well, I'm halfway there - and if the weather is like this in Alaska, I'm really screwed since with the exception of swimwear for the jacuzzi, I only packed my cold-weather/rainy-day clothes!

TTFN!

Is it really the iPhone or is it the Mimosas causing the little asterisks?? LOL

Just kidding though Brian:D

This is wonderful and really going to be so much fun. If we all thought we were glued to Fannish and others' reviews before... I predict this will be the most viewed thread on CC!!

Just boarded the Alaska Airlines flight to Seattle and Fairbanks and waiting for the aircraft to board.

Stay tuned for updates on my family's adventure on Cruisetour 16 Southbound and the Ryndam!

One interesting thing to note is that all my updates will be via iPhone: I'm not bringing the laptop and won't be using onboard computers will us used. I'll attempt to do this all via the 3G Network: No internet minutes (I hope!)

Well the stewardess has my cocktail order and they want to close the aircraft doors, so I'll check in again later - TTFN!

Brian:: Have a great cruise. Also, hope you enjoyed your flight - sounds like business class if you have already ordered a cocktail. Hope the sun shows up more than not and most of the elevators are now working on the Ryndam. Do try and keep us posted without breaking the bank! Gail:D

Aboard the flight: *Alaska Airlines SFO to Seattle

You may have noticed the sad affairs of air travel lately: *Well, the first thing I noticed upon boarding was that this isn't Virgin America! *I'm in First Class and I have about half the legroom than I did on my recent trip to Vegas aboard Virgin due to a section that carries about twice the number of persons in an area that's only slightly larger. *And despite bring in First, the person in the seat ahead of me just reclined and it feels like they're nearly in my lap. There are nowhere the creature comforts that I enjoyed on Virgin last month such as elecctric recliners w footrests, individual entertainment screens, etc. but it's the best I could get to Alaska. *The stewardess is splendid tho - I enjoy being called by name, and She's bringing a Mimosa and some breakfast nibblies shortly - the treatment I'm receiving is certainly VIP level. * I sure feel sorry for the folks in the back of the plane...

I might add that the R/T First Class ticket was only @40% more than the full-fare economy ticket I would have needed to purchase in order to use AA miles for the upgrade - so rathen than burn miles on an upgrade, I'm getting quadrupple miles for booking first and using an AA credit card to pay for the flight - I'm certain i'll use those miles for a another flight to meet another cruise.*

As you may know, packing is one of my least favorite chores before leaving on vacation. I really tried to limit my packing this time to two checked bags and one carryon...

... I was up until 11.30 last night, and when two bags were full, I realized that I still had no underwear or toiletries packed, so out came the 3rd bag! *That third bag is costing me an extra few $$$ in excess baggage charges since one only gets two free bags in First on Alaska...

...at least I was able to limit myself to one carryon and no briefcase since I'm not carrying the laptop and using iPhone instead to post, email, text, etc. (inflight music is nice too!)

In case you're wondering *how I'm doing all this writing while up in the air, I'm using the "Notes" function on the iPhone to type this up. I intend to "Select" and "Paste" these missives to my CC.com*thread when I get someplacee that has a 3G signal.

Well, we're somewhere over Portland and brekky is here!

TTFN!*

Good Grief - a separate bag for underwear & toiletries? How many toiletries does a guy need?:eek:

How many toiletries does a guy need?:eek:
You obviously don't know Brian! :D

Have a great time, my friend. We just returned from a southbound cruisetour that originated in Fairbanks. It will be interesting to read your reports to see how they compare with our experience.

We just got off the Ryndam yesterday morning and got home last night. If you have the great weather we did on our 14 day rt Vancouver, you'll have a ball. The bargains are coming out in all the ports. The tour vendors are hungry. Enjoy, enjoy!!! The 2 for 1 martinis in the Piano Bar from 7-8 made a nice addition for the late sitting. The earlier 2 for 1 just makes it difficult to get to the late sitting. Be careful. :rolleyes:

If you don't already have the Alaska cruise ship travel book with the mile map, buy one on board in the gift shop. The captain refers to it constantly and it's fun to follow the route.

Cheers! Have a wonderful cruise. Look forward to hearing all about it. You guys that are so tech savvy boggle the mind. I'm lucky I can even type. :p

Colette

Archived