Is Capri worth it?

lula58

Has anyone taken the 8 hr excursion to Capri through Celebrity? It will cost $300 for the 2 of us and we were wondering if it is worth it. Also is the trip across very rough? Can you tell this is our 1st cruise? I keep asking all kinds of questions. :confused:

I assume the trip across the water is from either Napoli or Sorrento or both. I went over from Napoli once and the boat stopped to pick up more pax at Sorrento.

I've seen it rough. Didn't bother me but I saw some seasick paisani out there. Hey, it's the open Mediterranean for a few miles. You get on a craft or ship and you take your chances. I'm sure there are calmer days as well.

I have no experience with a cruise sponsored excursion. I went down to the pier and booked one myself. The last time was about 20 years ago.

How bad could it be? The price does sound a bit steep, however.

We visited Capri while on another cruise line. That being said, I remember the boat ride over as being lovely but a little choppy once we got close to the island. However, it was worth every second because the beauty of Capri is still vivid in my memory! My teenage daughter and I decided this was an excursion we could do on our own, and we were so glad we did. The colors, the water, the boats, the homes on the rocks...so picturesque! One of the best experiences was taking the chairlift up to the top of the island...unbelievable views! As you can tell, I would recommend a trip to Capri. BTW...Anacapri is the area on Capri that is up higher on the island...if I am not mistaken?!

We took a tour through RCCL to Capri. The ferry was a little rough that day but like all sea trips it changes from day to day. Capri was OK to see but having been in Naples a couple of times now I would much prefer another trip to Sorrento and drive the Amalfi coast. Beautiful scenery so long as someone else is driving.(leave it to the experts.) If you want to see where the "beautiful" people shop and vacation than it may be worth the trip. To me Capri was on my list to see but Pompeii and the Amalfi coast is more to our liking. Europe you will find that the more you visit the more you need to return to see all that is missed on each trip. Wishing you and yours a wonderful trip.:D

We didn't do Celebrity's Capri tour but have done others and it is so worth it IMO

Yes, it's touristy, but we ARE tourists. :)

I would be sorry to be so close and not see beautiful Capri and the Blue Grotto.

To me there are two different questions: Is Capri worth visiting, and is it worth taking the $300 ship's excursion.

If it's your visit visit to Naples (I assume that's where your ship docks), I don't know if I would rate Capri as the #1 attraction. Have you considered doing Pompeii? Or the Amalfi Coast? I'd probably rate both of these higher, although the Amalfi Coast tours are no doubt even more expensive.

However, if you've already looked at the options and Capri seems best to you, it is VERY easy to do it on your own. The hydrofoils leave from the same area where your ship docks. Buying the tickets on your own is SUBSTANTIALLY less expensive than going through the ship, and you really don't need a guide on Capri; you can just wander.

If you are interested in doing it on your own, I suggest you visit the Mediterranean forum here on Cruise Critic, where you'll find lots of information on all the options available in Naples (and your other ports).

However, if you've already looked at the options and Capri seems best to you, it is VERY easy to do it on your own. The hydrofoils leave from the same area where your ship docks. Buying the tickets on your own is SUBSTANTIALLY less expensive than going through the ship, and you really don't need a guide on Capri; you can just wander.

I totally agree. No need to pay $300 for a ship excursion when this trip is easily done on your own, even for a novice.

Archived