Diabetic question!

DrmnOfMaui

My parents leave for their 1st ever cruise next Saturday! My mom is a recently diagnosed diabetic and has never traveled with her diabetic "equipment" before. She is wondering if she can carry her blood "tester" (sorry, I'm not certain of the actual terms!) on the airplane? I don't think she has traveled by air since 9/11. I've filled her in on all the regular rules, but she said she is concerned that her tester will be considered something that you can not bring on a plane in your carryon. She doesn't want to put it in her luggage in case it gets lost.

Thanks for any tips!

Kim

She can carry her glucose meter through security with no problem at all. She does not need to declare that she has a meter. If she is insulin dependent, she does need to declare that she has syringes before she goes through security at the airport. As far as security at the port, she doesn't have to say anything.

Edited to add link:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#3

I am diabetic and have never had an issue flying. I do keep all of my supplies together so if they need to hand inspect them they can. As I go through security I just let them know that I have insulin and diabetic supplies.

After my doctor put me on insulin I had them write a note that I carry with me showing that I am diabetic and I need to carry my supplies with me. I haven't ever been asked to show it. I was worried for nothing the first time I flew with it.

I always carry my meter and strips in my purse.

The insulin pen and needles I declare. I have to pack my insulin in a refrigerated pack, so I have to declare this also. Make sure she has the original RX label on her medicines (pills/insulin). Please tell your mom not to worry;it's a breeze!

Karen in Kentucky

She can carry her glucose meter through security with no problem at all. She does not need to declare that she has a meter. If she is insulin dependent, she does need to declare that she has syringes before she goes through security at the airport. As far as security at the port, she doesn't have to say anything.

Edited to add link:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm#3

A meter? Why

and a medical refirgierator, if the insulin needs to be refrigerated, the fridges in the cabins are really just coolers

We have always used the fridges on the ships as well as the hotels. By doctors instructions, insulin should just not be in a warm place. So any cool place will do. We do keep in fridge at home as well. "Good spots are on the kitchen counter or in your diabetes kit. It will stay fresh for up to month without refrigeration, as long as its temperature stays under 86ºF." So I think the rooms fridge will keep it under 86. Back to her other problem, Having a family of diabetics, we always travel with our meter. there is no problem at all with them.

Thank you all for the information!!!:D My mom does not use the computer, and is absolutely shocked that a few hours after I posted a question we have so many wonderful people who have helped. I keep telling her how awesome this site it!!

She is lucky and is only on oral meds, so she just has her meter to carry with her. Sounds like she shouldn't have any issues at all.

This is my parents first cruise, and they are so excited. They leave for Alaska on Saturday. I've got them set up with just about everything they need, all I need to do is order a bottle of wine or two for my dad (I know he won't pay for it, so I'm going to surprise them and send it to his room!). I know they will have such a wonderful time. I green with envy!

Thanks again everyone!

Thank you all for the information!!!:D My mom does not use the computer, and is absolutely shocked that a few hours after I posted a question we have so many wonderful people who have helped. I keep telling her how awesome this site it!!

She is lucky and is only on oral meds, so she just has her meter to carry with her. Sounds like she shouldn't have any issues at all.

This is my parents first cruise, and they are so excited. They leave for Alaska on Saturday. I've got them set up with just about everything they need, all I need to do is order a bottle of wine or two for my dad (I know he won't pay for it, so I'm going to surprise them and send it to his room!). I know they will have such a wonderful time. I green with envy!

Thanks again everyone!

I am both an insulin dependent diabetic and an EMS Provider. The thing she most needs to have with her is some emergency carbohydrates such as lifesavers or glucose jel if her oral meds are the kind that can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Since she is new to the whole deal she may not realize how much stress (which elevates glucose) and excersize (which lowers glucose) cruising can have.

The sharps container that was mentioned by whirlybird is importantant for her used lancets for testing her glucose.

Mike

Our bags are packed along with my tester & meds--ready to go on tues--never had a problem... get the sharps disposal container for the staterooom

also keep in mind the sugar free desserts are not necessarily carb free!

My husband travels all the time with his supplies and has never been questions. He has a pump and a monitor that is attached to his body and even that doesn't peak suspicion.

Julma, sorry to hijack the thread but I also have a pump with a self contained glucose monitor attached to me. When I got trained on the monitor they said I need to shut it off when airborne. Does your husband do that?

Mike

Some airports have a "Medical/Special Needs" Security line. Hubby has a Cpap machine and so we go through the medical line so that they can inspect his macine and ensure that it is what we say it is. This line is almost always shorter than the regular security line, and people more relaxed and friendly. If your folks see this as an option, they could takr advantage of it due to their meter. They are going to have a great time!!

Julma, sorry to hijack the thread but I also have a pump with a self contained glucose monitor attached to me. When I got trained on the monitor they said I need to shut it off when airborne. Does your husband do that?

Mike

I have a pump and a meter and I have never disconnected it while in flight or at anytime. It has enabled me to travel the world without any problems. Only once has anyone questioned it and when that screener saw it (her English was limited), she just was not sure what it was. Actually, most of the European countries are more meter savvy than in the USA, she was just the exception. I have a letter from my doctor just in case, but I have never ever been asked to produce it.

Joyce

Have your mother check the cabin for a sharps container first off.

Calling the cruiselines and letting them know does not mean it will automatically be there when she arrives.

If she knows what she can and cannot eat she should be fine once onboard.

And yes,,sugarfree doesn't mean low carb.

We have had no problem flying or cruising with a glucose meter. Have never said anything to the airline. We do bring food for the plane trip. Plane food is bad to begin with.

I am going to assume your mom is type II and not insulin dependent. She should not have any worries at all.

I am both an insulin dependent diabetic and an EMS Provider. The thing she most needs to have with her is some emergency carbohydrates such as lifesavers or glucose jel if her oral meds are the kind that can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Since she is new to the whole deal she may not realize how much stress (which elevates glucose) and excersize (which lowers glucose) cruising can have.

The sharps container that was mentioned by whirlybird is importantant for her used lancets for testing her glucose.

Mike

Thanks Mike!! Excellent tips!:D

Archived