Tipping confusion

lula58

This is our 1st cruise. (Mediterranean cruise on the Solstice on Sept 28) I am so confused about tipping. Do they automatically charge you so much for all of the tips for all of the people that serve you? (In your room and elsewhere on the ship) Then do you just add extra for exceptional service? And is this done at the time of service or at the end of your cruise? We were only going to take Euros, but I guess we will need US $ as well. :confused:

They will charge, unless you opt out, your seapass account for tips for the two in housekeeping, your waiter and assistant, and Asst. Matre d'. If you order any drinks, you will be charged an extra 15% on you bill. At any time you purchase drinks you can leve an additional tip on the bill if you so desire. If you eat in a specialty restaurant you will be charged and it will also go on your account. You only need $$$ our Euro if you feel that you received exceptional service and wish to leave any of the staff extra at the end.

Yes, when you order a drink, the 15% gratuity is added. You can add the gratuitiies/tips for you room steward team and your MDR waitstaff using the auto-gratuity, it will be added to your On Board charges. From my point of view, a good way to handle it.

For extra service, I carry a $1 or $5/10 bills to give to waitstaff that provide additional service, especially any drink/lounge staff. They get it directly instead of the '15% share tips and use it for phone cards and so on.

You only need Euro's for in port use. So I'm not taking any Euro's and only US $. Then I'll use charge cards and then my ATM card to pull out Euros in port as needed. Better rates then most situations.

we will be behind you a few months - have a great cruise.

Denny

We are going into Rome 1st, and Florence and Venice after the cruise.(And our hotels give quite a discount for cash) so that is why we are taking Euros. The last Italian trip we found it difficult to get the amount needed from a ATM.

Not to worry, it will all be automatically charged to your seapass account and thus to the credit card you furnish to Celebrity when you check in. You may tip extra in cash to people if you wish. We generally tip the room service people in cash each time they deliver something.

Have a wonderful first cruise!

This is our 1st cruise. (Mediterranean cruise on the Solstice on Sept 28) I am so confused about tipping. Do they automatically charge you so much for all of the tips for all of the people that serve you? (In your room and elsewhere on the ship) Then do you just add extra for exceptional service? And is this done at the time of service or at the end of your cruise? We were only going to take Euros, but I guess we will need US $ as well. :confused:
Celebrity ships operate on US$, but if you are sailing in Euro areas, I highly doubt that any crewmember would refuse an additional gratuity [in addition to the auto-billed standard gratuities] in Euros - especially if you do it one for one relative to what you would tip in US$:D. The crew members need some cash to spend for incidentals ashore.

Thom

We are going into Rome 1st, and Florence and Venice after the cruise.(And our hotels give quite a discount for cash) so that is why we are taking Euros. The last Italian trip we found it difficult to get the amount needed from a ATM.

Check with your bank to see what your daily limit is. From there you figure out what that would equate in Euro. For example, if your daily ATM limit is $1,000, that equates to a little under 700 Euro per day. Some ATM machines will only allow you to take out 300 or 250 Euro per transaction. If you can only get out 250 Euro at one time, put your card back in the machine and make another transaction until you get your desired limit.

Both my wife and I have separate ATM cards tied into the same checking account. Ergo, we can get the equivalent of $2,000 in Euro per day. It comes in handy when you are paying cash for your accommodations either to get a lower rate or for whatever.

Archived