NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

My guess is there are MANY, MANY pages of information about this new program. There are probably many "what if's" that we don't know about. I will take my next cruise Sept 26th...a "Three Star" cruiser, and 2010 a "Four Star" cruiser.

I think we need to see how this works....give HAL time to work out the kinks. Those of us who don't have suites, and that's the majority of us, will probably be happy. Those who book suites I am sure will be happy with what they have/get.

Let's give HAL a chance to see how this new program works....let's not say it is bad before we and HAL have a chance to see what happens.:)

Two consecutive paragraphs in the FAQs state:

Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2010, one bonus cruise day credit will be granted for each $300 in onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

But, does it matter if any of this was paid by OBC, either by HAL or from a TA? In other words, would the $25.00, $35.00, $50.00 etc. book on board credits used to pay the bill count? If you spend $300.00, does it matter how it is paid? I don't think it will, but I wonder.

Paint me a bit pessimistic

As a four star cruiser I really appreciate the discounts on onboard services, the free laundry (yes, yes, yes), and at 50% off maybe I will make it to the Pinnacle Grill occasionally .... but what I see here is a program structured to encourage on board spending --- the more you spend the more "loyalty" HAL will have for you.

My last few cruises I could not help but notice how empty the Pinnacle Grill was -- at 50% off, I suspect that will change -- same with many of the other on board amenities that have a tarriff attached. Some income is always better than no income, and since cruise fares remain rather low -- on board spending is probably their cash cow -- so why not structure a program to encourage more cash for the cash cow? This they have now done.

Though I will enjoy the perks that I would never earn by paying for a suite (no suites equal more cruises for arzz) I will have significant deja vous for a system that rewarded us for just doing what we enjoy doing -- cruising -- sort of like grades in school which are intrinsic rather than extrinsic rewards. HAL now moves to extrinsic rewards for conspicuous consumption.

And then on to my personal, pessimistic fear -- that price increases for onboard services will soon follow......

I will still cruise and I will still embrace HAL as my cruise line of choice -- and I will still revere my medallion as a symbol of many days doing what I most enjoy. Stars that reward me for how much I spend seem rather hollow in comparison.

Hi Karen:

I haven't read through all the posts yet but wanted to answer yours.

No need to to fret - do you want my Copper Medallion? It's yours and you have earned one. Just let me know so I can pack it, along with the 50-day pin I promised you.

I'm a little ticked off myself because at the end of our upcoming cruise I would have 481 days sailing with HAL and have already been looking at cruises for next year when I expected to get my Gold Medallion. (Actually I hate the medallions but I do wear the pins - hoping it will get me a decent drink at the Receptions;):D). I know that Anne & Dick (ANSalberg) were looking forward to getting their 500-day "Gold" on this cruise on their favorite HAL ship.

Now it remains to be seen if we will get any of the "perks" mentioned during our cruise.

See you very soon.

Valerie:)

I think this is quite sad for all of you who have been anticpating receiving big awards such as 500 day medallions.

I'm a little confused about the 'bonus day credits'. When my husband and I cruise, we often give one of our cards when buying drinks,souvenirs etc. Who exactly will get the bonus? Will they divide the $ amounts between us, or will only one person in the cabin get the bonus days?

Does that mean I should use my card for all purchases?;)

One FAQ paragraph says "... and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus." That says to me that both the 1st and 2nd do. But maybe I'm reading what I want it to be! :)

Change, it is never easy. We like the old, the familiar. The new program has value, just no pomp. Kind of like dressing for dinner, cocktails before dinner dancing under the moon to a live jazz band with your loved one and the formalness of the days of yore, it is all going away. Call it progress, call it the "Carnivalization" of HAL or whatever, but it is an inevitability.

I, too, will miss looking forward to my medallions, but I will take advantage of the perks that do arrive with those new levels, at least until I maxx out!

Lair :cool:

Statendam Panama Canal Oct 09

Eurodam Baltic, summer 08

Oosterdam Alaska summer 07

Noordam Eastern Med summer 06

Has anyone read or been told that HAL will be discontinuing the medals/pins or the Mariner's lunch.

The medallions are going away but there will be new pins for the various star levels and the mariner 'lunch' is actually a mariner brunch, and that continues for all levels with free champagne.

Maybe there will be an extra page on the e-docs detailing the changes??

It's on the website... if they're doing their express docs they can just as easily look up the info.

It will also be detailed in all new brochures.

Sales is advising travel agents.

There's the press reease that went out anyone can see.

Not sure if it will be includd in express docs, but that might be a good suggestion... mariner_society@hollandamerica.com (note the underscore)

I'm a little confused about the 'bonus day credits'. When my husband and I cruise, we often give one of our cards when buying drinks,souvenirs etc. Who exactly will get the bonus? Will they divide the $ amounts between us, or will only one person in the cabin get the bonus days?

Does that mean I should use my card for all purchases?;)

I believe it's guests 1 and 2 that get the bonus day credits... You've quoted one anwer given on the website, but I thik there is aother that adresses it.

And the 2010 thing has been brought to the supervisor's ttention and is a typo. It should read 2009 like everything else.

If we use the HAL credit card points to purchase cost for Pinnacle grill do we still get the 50% discount???? If so how are they going to verify it..????

Ruth & Jim

Not sure about that scenario. The Mariner Society folks might.

But if you plan to go twice, why not take advantage of both... only $20 for dinner for 2, TWICE in the Pinnacle... Can't beat that!

And the 2010 thing has been brought to the supervisor's ttention and is a typo. It should read 2009 like everything else.
That's the beauty of Cruise Critic. Bring something to the posters' attention and they'll beta test, nit-pick, and correct every single loose end. :)

I have never booked a cruise or made an onboard purchase in the hope of qualifying for some kind of a "perk." I've enjoyed the Mariner brunches, but I don't think of them as something I've earned, just a happy windfall.

If most of you are like me, HAL is getting materially nothing back for any expense it is incurring for Mariner "perks," so I'm glad they don't seem to want to spend too much out of a revenue stream to which I contribute. Just enough to give repeat passengers a little warm glow like the one one gets from a birthday card, seems just right to me.

I'm fine with whatever they offer because it's the service and itineraries that keep me with HAL (I'm going to be only a 2 star on my next cruise). Still, it would be nice for those with hundreds of days to be acknowledged in some way. Would love to hear a good reason why that choice was made -- maybe they think that anyone who's sailed 200 days is and always will be loyal - don't need to dangle any more carrots.

I am disappointed the 3rd/4th person in the cabin doesn't get bonus days. That may make a bit of sense if they are kids, but both my adult sons are traveling with me and we each pay our own way. Excluding one of us arbitrarily (i.e., based only on the order we appear on the booking) doesn't sit well with me. I wonder if there's any flexibility if we talk directly to HQ. If, on a 7 day cruise the 1st/2nd person earns 7 bonus days each, I'd prefer if we could divide the total (14) among the 3 of us. Think I'll cal HAL tomorrow (no, I don't expect any flexibility, but...).

I find these rewards disappointing. I thought HAL would find more generous and/or creative ways to reward returning Mariners.

Many of these "rewards" are actually a discount program for onboard spending. (It's more like an "incentive" program to purchase HAL goods or excursions.)

For those who were hoping to earn metals, it must be a real disappointment and another loss of a HAL tradition. (This was very surprising to me.)

This "rewards" program may benefit some HAL cruisers with less than 200 days and/or those with kids (3rd/4th passengers in cabin) or those who shop or buy many HAL services on board.

I was recently on Princess and appreciated the free internet time reward. At the time, I noticed how Princess made their reward program so visible and wondered when HAL would institute more incentives to Mariners. This is not quite what I expected.

The bottom line for me is that I enjoy sailing HAL, but this new "rewards" program will not be an incentive to sway me to select HAL over another line.

Another question: will pre- or post-cruise packages purchased through HAL in conjunction with the cruise count towards days or spending?
No, except AK cruise-tours:

Will I receive credit for land days on cruisetours taken in the past?

Credit will be given for land days on Holland America Line Alaska/Yukon cruisetours, but not for pre- and post-cruise tours and hotel packages in other destinations.

I'm happy being on a Holland America Ship, so I will be happy with any Mariner Program.;)

I agree! Now I'm unhappy that I just booked a Feb. cruise with another cruise line which would have brought us to the 2 star status. Guess I'll have to look for another HAL cruise! From the viewpoint of relatively new cruisers, these perks are great; but I do understand that those who have worked to achieve a status that was removed would naturally feel disappointed.

That figures - we were looking forward to getting our 100 day medallion on our upcoming Rotterdam cruise in Jan 2010:mad: We already have 75 days so I guess we are 3 Star and it will take several more years to make it to the 4 star mark and probably by then they will change the program again.

I know lots of people have looked forward to getting a medallion hung around their neck. But the disappearance of those doesn't bother me at all. I think some of these new perks will be of benefit to lots of people ... like the discount on mini-bar contents and drink packages, for instance.

Agreed.

Who would have thought that HAL could come up with a loyalty program that would make airline miles look good though?

Smooth sailing always...

That figures - we were looking forward to getting our 100 day medallion on our upcoming Rotterdam cruise in Jan 2010:mad: We already have 75 days so I guess we are 3 Star and it will take several more years to make it to the 4 star mark and probably by then they will change the program again.

Perhaps, but maybe you will get a new special recognition lapel pin.:rolleyes:

Smooth sailing....

I am not even sure how many days I have on HAL, but it may be close to 200 as we always book suites, because we travel as a family. This system will cause havoc with the laundry, which is now a problem. We had torn clothing, holes in knit shirts and all white underwear turned gray on our last cruise. To add a very crowded Pinnacle Grill to the mix will make our future cruises less enjoyable, even though we will receive a reduction in the tariff there. A 50% reduction in pricing for wine could be a problem, too...More intoxicated passengers. This new system will increase bookings, but possibly change the cruising experience for the worse....and we will benefit from it financially in some respects.

Archived