NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

I wonder ... will those of us who cruise Solo and pay for it through the nose via that Single Supplement get credit for the extra expense by way of extra days? Not that it matters to me, seeing as how I'm already over 200 days and beyond where such matters might help me in this new program.

Still ... it's a curious question. :) If Suite passengers get double-days, etc., then those of us who pay more for our inside cabins simply because we're alone in them should get some kind of recognition! Right? [/sarcasm]

OK, So I know this is going to be off topic, but right now I think everyone can use a good laugh so I am posting it here before I go to the Floating Lounge and post it there.

I know you don't clean your computer screen very often. And it is hard to do the inside, so HERE is my present to you. http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf

Joanie

I BEGIN the new program at the 4-Star Mariner Level. What more incentive is it for me to strive for 300 Days, since there is no recognition at that level?? There's nothing.
We also start off as 4-Star Mariners but see things a little differently. The new program has more substantive value for us than anything being offered now. Where are the current incentives to reach higher-mariner days? Nothing much IMHO.

In the new program, we're particularly attracted to:

> subscription to Food & Wine mag

> 50% off wine packages

> 50% off specialty restaurants

> 50% off explorations coffees

> complementary winetasting

> complementary laundry/pressing

These new perks have tangible $$$ value for us & they will continue as long as we're on-board a HAL ship. What's not to like? :D:D

We also start off as 4-Star Mariners but see things a little differently. The new program has more substantive value for us than anything being offered now. Where are the current incentives to reach higher-mariner days? Nothing much IMHO.

> 50% off wine packages

These new perks have tangible $$$ value for us & they will continue as long as we're on-board a HAL ship. What's not to like? :D:D

I agree Quinn. We usually get the complimentary laundry/pressing being in a Suite anyway, but the other perks are pretty darn nice too. The wine package is awesome, we will definitely being buying one on each cruise now - I just hope they don't up the price of the packages... :rolleyes:

Dear Ruthless ... I'm thinking ... e-bay often has Silver and Gold Medals for auction. Let's keep our eyes pealed and bid on 'em, then have our OWN ceremony!!!!!!!!!! :D ;)

Good idea! You, and I, and Adele can chip in to purchase the platinum one. Then, she passes her gold to me, and I pass my silver to you. That'll work!

Since I prefer to do my own laundry, I wonder if the Front Desk will just give me the quarters to wash and dry?

Or, should I sub-contract my benefits to those who don't qualify??? I could collect other's laundry and send it out, for a slight consideration. (Girl's gotta make a buck, ya know. ;))

How are the Explorations Cafe folks know if you are 1, 2, 3 or 4 star? Do you think they will be issuing different colored key cards? :confused: Same with the priority tenders... they'll have to have a way to distinguish.

I understand, Judy ... I truly do. That's why I put the ;) in.

I understand that ... and his Tuxedo is still covered by what you pay for your Suite. Along with Express service. Again, my bet is that they'll give y'all something extra to make up for the double-dipping from your 4-Star Mariner Status.

:) Thanks for the wink, Greg. :) :D

Hope they get your shorts back to you quickly. :cool:

Already get it.

> 50% off wine packages

Neither hubby nor I drink

No specialty restaurants on the ship we are on, unless you count the Pinnacle Grill?

Hubby drinks tea, I hate flavored coffee

Neither hubby nor I drink

Nice if we do not get a Deluxe Suite. This is the only one that would work for us

So with the perks above, we'd be receiving about $16.00-$20.00 in perks for the cruise.

I can live with that, just wish there were options. But will still keep sailing with HAL.

Joanie

Those who have already accumulated substantial days did so because they enjoyed the experience. Will they enjoy it less now that rewards are capped at the 200 day mark?

It appears that the program was designed to encourage the majority of passengers, those who do not sail in suites and/or who cruise once/twice a year to shoot for something more.

I prefer to look at this with a cup half full attitude. It's more than it used to be and most certainly will not please everyone.

Reward Programs are designed for the mass market. Most higher end luxury hotels do not maintain reward programs for their guests. This is true of the Ritz, even though they are now owned by Marriott.

Good idea! You, and I, and Adele can chip in to purchase the platinum one. Then, she passes her gold to me, and I pass my silver to you. That'll work!

Since I prefer to do my own laundry, I wonder if the Front Desk will just give me the quarters to wash and dry?

Or, should I sub-contract my benefits to those who don't qualify??? I could collect other's laundry and send it out, for a slight consideration. (Girl's gotta make a buck, ya know. ;))

And me too.......I was due to get my first one on this upcoming cruise.....which leave just 8 days after the new program! Sigh.....I guess I will have to survive as a 'medal-less sailor'.....:(

And me too.......I was due to get my first one on this upcoming cruise.....which leave just 8 days after the new program! Sigh.....I guess I will have to survive as a 'medal-less sailor'.....:(

Well, under this idea Greg will have a left-over copper medallion. Perhaps we could auction it off to recoup the cost of the platinum??? :D

DID NO ONE READ MY POST ON PAGE 2???????????

Yes, I am shouting. Her wording was very measured and very specific - not just chat. What does this mean? Maybe someone with mega days should call and may find out more. Or, maybe nothing more will be said. Maybe it did not have any meaning, just a strange use of words IF it did not mean anything IMHO.

I really find it difficult to believe HAL would simply say "tough" to folks who have many, many days.

from my previous post: The response was that 200 days is the highest level for PUBLISHED recognition. (caps mine)

I really wish others would call and inquire, particularly some with many days beyond 200.

So with the perks above, we'd be receiving about $16.00-$20.00 in perks for the cruise.

I can live with that, just wish there were options. But will still keep sailing with HAL.

Joanie

I understand, but I still think they still work for a lot of other folks though... in addition to the PG the specialty restaurants can also be Canneleto's or Silk Den, I am assuming?

We haven't booked less than Deluxe Verandah Suite in years - have already had the laundry, dry cleaning and priority embark, disembark, tender service. I'm still glad they are offering more to Mariner's.

Now, if we could only get them to include some type of internet package, that'd be nice. :)

Have just gotten through reading everything.

Okay -- swo we are maxed out.

And on many of our cruises about 90% of the passengers have sailed quite a bit on HAL -- the majority of them would now be 4-star just like us.

And now they will qualify for free laundry -- so about 1600 people sailing on a Vista class ship are now entitled to free laundry -- that is going to be a NIGHTMARE!!!! People will be sending everything out and the turn around time of 48 hours will no longer be!!

Still have to maul this all over.

> 50% off wine packages

Perhaps this illustrates the differences in how people are wired: some derive meaning from, and are motivated by, symbols; others appear to find value principally in tangible benefits. I tend to be symbol-oriented.

Now, absolutely ... I like the $-impact of the perks. Some will help my bottom line, others will just make cruising easier. Indeed, there are several perks beyond those which you listed that I'm happy to have, and I'll be taking advantage of them in November aboard the Rotterdam.

The downside, for someone who is wired to find symbols of import, is the loss of at least any kind of recognition beyond 200 days. More perks would be great, but even just a symbolic "nod" would be nice ... and those 300/500/700 day levels were exactly that -- symbolic nods. Since they had that system already in-place, I can't fathom why they're discontinuing it. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I wonder ... how many 4-Star Mariners are there at the inception of the program? We must be in the several thousands, at least.

DID NO ONE READ MY POST ON PAGE 2???????????

Yes, I am shouting. Her wording was very measured and very specific - not just chat. What does this mean? Maybe someone with mega days should call and may find out more. Or, maybe nothing more will be said. Maybe it did not have any meaning, just a strange use of words IF it did not mean anything IMHO.

I really find it difficult to believe HAL would simply say "tough" to folks who have many, many days

200 days is the max recognition... everyone here concurs, I believe.

So......

How many Mariners do you think will continue to wear their Medallions to the Brunch? I don't suppose anyone would discourage that at all.

Those who have Medallions...... Will you continue to wear them to Mariners Brunch? Should make for lots of questions from folks who have never seen or heard of them. :eek:

Won't be bothering to pack them anymore.

Well, under this idea Greg will have a left-over copper medallion. Perhaps we could auction it off to recoup the cost of the platinum??? :D

Hmmmm ... the Coppers show up on ebay every few months. The Silvers about as frequently. The Golds LESS frequently. And I've only seen a rare few Platinum medallions on e-bay. That will be more difficult.

As for cost ... I saw a copper go for $20 the other week. Silvers go for about the same price. A Gold went for about $50 the last time I saw it go. Since I wasn't in the market to buy one, I didn't keep closer tabs.

Now ... I'll probably be in the market to buy! At least a Silver and a Gold!

ekerr19,

You are TOTALLY missing the intent of my post. SHE DID NOT SAY IT WAS THE TOP OF THE AWARDS, BUT THE PUBLISHED, repeat, PUBLISHED awards program. To me this suggests that there are unpublished awards as well. Otherwise her answer could simply have been a yes.

Perhaps this illustrates the differences in how people are wired: some derive meaning from, and are motivated by, symbols; others appear to find value principally in tangible benefits. I tend to be symbol-oriented.

The downside, for someone who is wired to find symbols of import, is the loss of at least any kind of recognition beyond 200 days. More perks would be great, but even just a symbolic "nod" would be nice ...

You're right. Folks are wired differently. I don't need or seek external recognition when I reach x-mariner days. Maybe I'll lament the loss of another HAL tradition, but that's about it. And I'm very happy to enjoy tangible benefits if/when they are offered. So I'm happy with the new program.

Archived