Celebrity Summit & San Juan Question

If you must fly in the day that the ship leaves, I would strongly suggest aiming to arrive in San Juan no later than 1-2 PM which at least provides you with a 5+ hour cushion. But if weather causes delays you could still miss the ship so it would really be advisable to fly in a day or two early if you can.

I noticed the Summit leaves about 8:30 P.M.

What distance is the port from the airport in time & miles?

Do they have shuttles?

Is getting to the airport about 6 P.M. too late?

I'm looking at flight schedules.........

thanks,

Hi,:) I have sailed from San Juan 3 times and going again in January:)

Personally, I would never book a flight that would arrive 2 hours

before sailing. (No matter what the port), even out of FLL or Miami,

when the ships sail at 5:00 I would not book a flight that gets in

at 3:00. Too many variables.

If there is any way you could get in a day early? It just makes

for a much less stressful start to a vacation.:)

If that is not possible then I would definitely book a flight

that gets into San Juan in the early to mid afternoon.

The Pier is not far from the airport but anything can happen

when flying in the same day.

Is 6:00pm too late? In my opinion, a big yes.

Oh, no shuttles but plenty of cabs.

Do they have shuttles?

thanks,

Please let us know what date of your sailing so we alert the people on your sailing to wave to you from the back of the ship as you stand and wave at them from the pier! :D :D

No really! I know its a joke. But do NOT try this one. With all the new TSA rules I really don't think you will make it. Besides, fly down a day early. If you have never been to San Juan you are in for a real treat. There is so much to see and do. And the food is WONDERFUL!!!!! Spending the night before the cruise in San Juan is a wonderful way to start a wonderful cruise. This year we are going down two days before. (last year we went down three days before). But since its New Years we opted for two.

Anyway good luck and I hope you find an earlier flight or one the day before

Helen

I have no idea if money is the reason you don't want to fly down early, but think of it this way - it's a lot cheaper to spend the night in a hotel than it will be to fly to catch up to the ship at its first port.

I know lots of people have good luck pricelining hotels in San Juan pre-cruise.

i would always fly down the day before..especially to San Juan. We flew down the day of and had engine trouble and watched our cruise sail off w/o us...couldn't get a flight out to our next port so we had to fly home next day....one of the most stressful days of my life...

we try to fly down 2 days to san juan...as there aren't as many flights available if something happens, weather..engine trouble...

We are sailing out of San Juan and are arriving a couple of days early so we can enjoy the city. Unless I am flying to a close port I always fly in a day early. It just makes it so less stressful in case of missed flights etc. The first cruise I took with a friend we arrived about 60 minutes before sailing. Now I like to arrive on the ship as early as possible so I know the layout before I get lost going to the main dining room <G> And it just feels like my vacation has started.

Please seriously consider getting to SJU a day early! I'm in Puerto Rico on business every month and the one thing that I can tell you for sure is that it is a total crap shoot what shape 26 is going to be in traffic wise. Although, on a good day, the dock is 20 minutes from SJU, and there are plenty of cabs available, I've seen it take 1 1/2 hours to get from the airport over there.

Not worth the hassle and risk of missing the ship.

We are cruising on the Summit on the 16th. I will be there on business, and my family is flying in on the 15th. We are spending Friday night at the Caribe Hilton. I will tour them around SJU on Friday evening and Saturday morning, and plan on being at the dock no later than 3:00pm.

If you decide to come down early, let me know and I can help you out with great things to do / places to eat, etc. while you're relaxing and de-stressing prior to the cruise.

Roger

Please seriously consider getting to SJU a day early! I'm in Puerto Rico on business every month and the one thing that I can tell you for sure is that it is a total crap shoot what shape 26 is going to be in traffic wise. Although, on a good day, the dock is 20 minutes from SJU, and there are plenty of cabs available, I've seen it take 1 1/2 hours to get from the airport over there.

Not worth the hassle and risk of missing the ship.

We are cruising on the Summit on the 16th. I will be there on business, and my family is flying in on the 15th. We are spending Friday night at the Caribe Hilton. I will tour them around SJU on Friday evening and Saturday morning, and plan on being at the dock no later than 3:00pm.

If you decide to come down early, let me know and I can help you out with great things to do / places to eat, etc. while you're relaxing and de-stressing prior to the cruise.

Roger

Hi Roger,:) we have a pretty active roll call for this sailing.

Hope you will stop by and say hello:D

SKYMILES 94

WHAT TIPS CAN YOU OFFER

I AM COMING TO sju OCT 24TH FOR 2 NIGHTS AT INTERCOTINENTAL

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST TO DO THERE AND ALSO WHERE TO EAT

THANKS CAROL

This the pool at your hotel, and the beach:

Cruise121308014.jpg

Cruise121308017.jpg

I think you'll be able to find something to do;)

Ken

Do they have shuttles?

thanks,

absolutely go a day or two earlier; san juan is a lovely town, fascinating history, a real gem. we stay in a b and b right on the beach next to the marriott at 1/3 of the price. and go to the marriott for entertainment and hanging out....at no cost.

enjoy san juan, and keep your stress to a minimum

jeff :rolleyes:

I would also advise arriving a day early in SJU. I don't know when your cruise is. In our case, I was originally planning to arrive on the same day, early afternoon. When I started looking at the backup plan, in case we missed the ship in San Juan, I found out that due to flight schedules from San Juan to other Caribbean airports, we would not be able to catch the ship on the first port of call - the flight from San Juan would arrive after the ship left port - which meant that we would only be able to catch the ship on the second port of call. This finding lead me to change our plans and I booked a flight arriving a day early in SJU.

Happy planning! :)

SKYMILES 94

WHAT TIPS CAN YOU OFFER

I AM COMING TO sju OCT 24TH FOR 2 NIGHTS AT INTERCOTINENTAL

WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST TO DO THERE AND ALSO WHERE TO EAT

THANKS CAROL

Carol,

The Intercontinental is located in Isla Verde. The beaches there are awesome (better than the Condado beaches IMHO). The food in the big hotels in the area is great, however, I prefer something more local.

A couple of recommendations in Isla Verde - Just across the street from the Intercontinental is a strip shopping center. A little local restaurant there - Mi Casita is wonderful. Just about a mile from the hotel is Barrachina (where the Pina Colada was invented). The fresh seafood at Barrachina is superb. You simply have to walk next door to the El San Juan and check out the lobby bar. It is simply beautiful.

About a 20 minute cab ride (depending on traffic) will get you to Old San Juan. El Morro and San Cristobal are must see sites if you appreciate history. The views from El Morro are beautiful. Looking west, across the Harbor from El Morro, you can see the Bacardi Distillery. It is about a 30 minute cab ride over to the distillery. The public tours are free and very well done.

If you are going to dine in Old San Juan, I highly recommend the Parrot Club. It's 2 blocks up the hill from the cruise ship terminal. Lots of shopping if you're into tourist things.

If you are a fan of snorkeling and water, then I highly recommend taking a day trip out on the FunCat catamaran for great snorkeling off the coast of Fajardo, Puerto Rico. The staff at the intercontenintal can arrange transportation. It's about 45 minutes from Isla Verde.

I know this is a shotgun type answer - covering a wide array. Let me know what you like to do and I will see if I have any ideas.

Roger

Do they have shuttles?

thanks,

Here's a quick answer to your question directly from Celebrity's website.

What if I will be arriving late?

Subject: Embarkation/Disembarkation Procedures

Failure to check in at least 90 minutes in advance will constitute a no-show, the booking will be canceled and cancellation penalties will be applied.

Definitely not worth the risk of getting your cruise cancelled and losing your money.

I concur with everyone on here who say come in a day or two in advance and enjoy San Juan. It is a beautiful place to visit and there's a lot to see and do.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Lois!

I'ver posted a couple of times in the roll call for the Jan 16th sailing, and we're signed up for the connections party.

Hi,:) oh my bad then:eek:...sorry. I must have missed your replies

over there.

First time at St Kitts and St Croix for me:D. I have been to

the other spots before but the whole cruise should be alot

of fun:)

Roger

thanks so much for the information

we love to goto dinner but close to the hotel and not have to go by ca b

we love nightlife and I understand there is a good restaurant ont he 10th floor of the el San Juan - also hear you have to pay a cover charge for the night life - so if you go to dinner in the

El San Juaj- can you stay for free in the loung - we love to hear the salsa music

thanks so much

carol

Roger

thanks so much for the information

we love to goto dinner but close to the hotel and not have to go by ca b

we love nightlife and I understand there is a good restaurant ont he 10th floor of the el San Juan - also hear you have to pay a cover charge for the night life - so if you go to dinner in the

El San Juaj- can you stay for free in the loung - we love to hear the salsa music

thanks so much

carol

I haven't been to the restaurant on the top of the El San Juan in several years - and honestly thought it was so so when I was there. There will definitely be a Salsa band in the lobby of the ESJ however, and lots of dancing. No cover charge at all there. It starts to get really busy in there after about 10:00. A fun place to have a couple of cocktails, dance, and watch the beautiful people. James and Edwin are the bartenders at the main bar, and both have been there for years. Great guys. Mildred is the bartender at the Gold bar (Also in the lobby) and is just lovely. Talk to her about sailing around the Caribbean.

The hottest club in San Juan is in the ESJ - Club Brava. It can get highly selective on weekends - dress to impress if you want to get in. Given its popularity, can get packed despite the large space. The $20 cover (guys and girls) is steep. Personally, I avoid this place - I just have more fun in the main hotel areas with no cover or pretentiousness. YMMV.

Another cool place to check out is the rooftop bar at the Waterclub hotel. Walking distance from the Intercontinental. Trendy crowd, but a heck of a lot of fun. Never know what you may see up there. Great views of the ocean and city.

You're not going to believe this recommendation, but I swear it's true. Across the street and down a couple of blocks is the Hampton Inn. The food at the pool bar is great! Best hamburger in the city for about $6.00. The steaks are also awesome. Just a little bar by the pool, but truly a hidden treasure.

There is a Mexican place called Lupi's across from the Hampton. Average Mexican food, but the Ceviche is great. Good Margaritas.

Hi,:) oh my bad then:eek:...sorry. I must have missed your replies

over there.

First time at St Kitts and St Croix for me:D. I have been to

the other spots before but the whole cruise should be alot

of fun:)

No problem. First time for me on St. Kitts as well. I've spent lots of time on St. Croix this year for work, so it will be nice just to relax for the day there. My DW has been to SJU with me on business many times, and she has been to St. Thomas, but to none of the other Islands. She's really looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to enjoying the cruise, locking up my blackberry, and going along for the ride! My co-workers give me a hard time about my territory covering the Caribbean, they don't understand that it's a heck of a lot more fun when your vacationing with family and making new friends on a cruise! The isalnds are beautiful, but when you're there alone working - not so much fun.

I'm looking forward to the connections party!

We came in a day early and stayed at a Marriott Courtyard in Miramar. We then took the bus to Old San Juan for the evening (as recommended on the travel boards). I was so proud of us getting there and back on public transportation! We walked around, and ate at a little place we happened upon. I can still taste the Mojitos - the best ever. We then took a cab to the ship and were on before noon. Have fun!

OK now you all have me really freaking out- i cruised last year out of San Juan on RCCL and our flight got in from BaLtimore to San Juan around 2:00 and i had no problem getting to the airport in plenty of time for our 5:30 flight.

Now i am booked again to do a f amily cruise in January on Celebrity which leaves at 8:30 but our flight gets into San Juan at 4:00p.m. I thought that was fine but now i am really nervous and our tickets (6 of them) are not changeable.

Not to try and freak you out any further, but I think East Coast people in January have the additional problem of dealing with winter weather. And not just from where you are - say your flight is originating in Chicago...yikes, I would not want that additional headache.

Archived