With help from alot of Cruise Critic Friends, Here's our Land/Cruise Intinerary

Jimbo

Jimbo,

Been reading your planning with interest. And I can't add much to the super advise you have gotten. Just a couple of comments.

Think you made a super choice on an aft balcony especially for Alaska. We just returned in August from Alaska and the Island Princess. We had the most aft mini suite as you can get and loved it. This was the coldest weather we have encountered on our Alaska cruises so the balcony was a real treat. Also keep checking Princess pricing for price declines, at least weekly if not daily.

The Diamond/Sapphire is a great ship never crowded, great food and entertainment. The kids will love it. We took our grand daughter couple of years ago on the Coral and just had a wonderful cruise. We think it was the best cruise we have ever done because we saw cruising and Alaska through her eyes. Oh my gosh.:D

Did you know that AAA Auto Club in their latest magazine has the train from Anchorage to Seward as one of the top ten scenic train rides in the, not just the USA, but in the world. But save a little money the regular car is more than adequate. Alaska is expensive.

Also to do Seward and not do Kenai Fjords is a shame. I think it is an absolute must see. We did the 9 hr one this time and have done the 6 hr one also. Water was smooth but you get some motion from the stopping, starting and turning but very minor. Do think the 9hr tour can get long. Halibut is great at the bar/restaurant with the world greatest Jim Beam bottle collection and breakfast is really good at the restaurant/hotel across the street from the small boat docks. They also have a Subway there that's good.

We also used PJ'S. Great gal and lots of knowledge. It is a long way off but if you remember say Hi to Renee from Jack and Nora.

One more item when you get to Whittier if you have time put the little museum on your list it is worth a stop and quiet educational for adults and kids. It's not very far from the ship.

This will be a vacation you guys will remember for ever.:o

Have you ever done Resurrection Bay Boat Tour with lunch at Fox Island? 5 hours $89 per person? Leaves at 12 Noon, we would have time for that on our second day in Seward.

5 hour cruise with Fox Island

Perfect for families and just the right length to allow time for other activities in Seward, our Resurrection Bay Wildlife Tour, with an exclusive stop at Fox Island for an all you can eat wild Alaskan salmon and prime rib, is always a great choice

Have you ever done Resurrection Bay Boat Tour with lunch at Fox Island? 5 hours $89 per person? Leaves at 12 Noon, we would have time for that on our second day in Seward.

Perfect for families and just the right length to allow time for other activities in Seward, our Resurrection Bay Wildlife Tour, with an exclusive stop at Fox Island for an all you can eat wild Alaskan salmon and prime rib, is always a great choice

This lodge area really doesn't even get out of the sight of Seward. :) I have eaten at Fox Lodge the salmon is good. But you have, what I consider a better option for salmon at the Exit Glacier Salmon bake, only my opinion. You are still going on a small boat, which from your previous posts, you are looking to avoid?? This tour certainly isn't a priority for anything other than the salmon bake. Wildlife just doesn't have good averages on this trip, and you don't get any glaciers, except a distant view of Bear Glacier- far less than what you will get via the cruiseship.

I am not sure why your wife doesn't want to take motion sickness precautions and go on the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour, but that is her choice. My DH and I are prone to seasickness (were violently seasick on a ferry across Lake Michigan) and listened to the advice on this board. We saw our doctor and came up with a plan for each of us. He used the patch (just for this tour not on the cruise) and I used Bonine and a wrist band. We both did get queasy a few times on the trip and Ginger Root Tablets worked like a charm for us.

If you are set on the Resurrection Bay Tour, do a search on this board. I have not read of too many people who actually reported back about their experience. However, I do recall one person who enjoyed the tour. I think it is one of those things if you don't know what you are missing you will be okay. When I went on the Northwestern Fjords Tour we did of course travel through Resurrection Bay. It is very different from the rest of the tour. It is more like taking a boat ride on a small lake. We were extremely lucky and did see a whale while we were in the bay. Our boat captain said that was an extremely rare occurence. It was also one of the rarer whales...can't remember the name at this time. I don't recall seeing any other wildlife until we got out of the bay. I think you can have a nice day, if this trip appeals to you. Just don't expect the same experience you would get on the 6 hour or 9 hour trips that take you out of the bay.

Jimbo is cruising out of Whittier.

Yes, I know this. The reference was general. The view of Bear Glacier out of Seward is no where near as good, as glacier viewing from the cruiseship- where ever the itinerary is- College Fjords, Glacier Bay, Hubbard.

We stopped at Fox Island but only to pick up pax who had stayed there. Did a lot of camping when kids were younger so don't think I would stay there but to each his own. My preference is the 6hr tour you will see gobs of wildlife and probably park right next to a very blue glacier that makes noises like a lighting bolt. Do a Salmon bake someplace else there are few areas in the country or maybe anyplace that compare with Kenai. If you take normal precautions motion sickness should not be a problem.

Darn those Rockies just took one in our own Park.:(

Jimbo:)

Missed this. Surprising Rockies they might take it all the way and the Broncos are 4 zip soon to be 5 zip.:D

Guess what the weather is going to be like when they play here. SNOW and cold.:eek:

Our friends just did this so they could go kayaking. Thought it was one big RIP. They paid for a VERY expensive salmon dinner. They saw NOTHING and the kayaking was in front of the lodge. Go on at least the 6 hour trip. Don't waste your money going to Fox Island.

Missed this. Surprising Rockies they might take it all the way and the Broncos are 4 zip soon to be 5 zip.:D

Guess what the weather is going to be like when they play here. SNOW and cold.:eek:

Don't give that fifth victory to the Broncos so quickly. McDaniels has proven to have real coaching ability but he learned from a master and Sunday's game may show that he is not yet able to outcoach his mentor.:) Snow and Cold - just when the Pats play their best.:)

Ok sounds like the Resurrection Bay Tour isn't the one to go on. Might Major Marine Tours..... Half Day Kenai Fjords WildLife Cruise (Buy One Get One Free $69.00) be a better option in Seward?

Lets go Back to Whittier's Boat tours also while we have everyone on boat tours.

Which is better, Prince William Sounds Glacier Cruises "Explorer Glacier Cruise" $99.00 each (Northern lights Coupon Book) or

How about The 26 Glaciers Cruise. Phillips Cruises and Tours $99.00 each? (Northern Lights Coupon Book)

Anyone know about the Deluxe Center Booth Seats? Good Or bad? they are $5.00 more $104.00 per person, book on their online site?

Ok sounds like the Resurrection Bay Tour isn't the one to go on. Might Major Marine Tours..... Half Day Kenai Fjords WildLife Cruise (Buy One Get One Free $69.00) be a better option in Seward?

Lets go Back to Whittier's Boat tours also while we have everyone on boat tours.

Which is better, Prince William Sounds Glacier Cruises "Explorer Glacier Cruise" $99.00 each (Northern lights Coupon Book) or

How about The 26 Glaciers Cruise. Phillips Cruises and Tours $99.00 each? (Northern Lights Coupon Book)

Anyone know about the Deluxe Center Booth Seats? Good Or bad? they are $5.00 more $104.00 per person, book on their online site?

Not sure about your above reference, but I think it's in error??? The 6 hour trips are over $100 pp. This price range is the SAME bay tour you have already been given information on. IF you wish to go on the best PWS tour, which is Esther Passage, then either of your choices are equally good.

Not sure about your above reference, but I think it's in error??? The 6 hour trips are over $100 pp. This price range is the SAME bay tour you have already been given information on. IF you wish to go on the best PWS tour, which is Esther Passage, then either of your choices are equally good.

The 1/2 day tour is just slightly further in Resurrection Bay than Fox Island. Just about to Bear Glacier, then turns south/se to go back to Seward. Another waste of money. And one big reason those cruises are so cheap-you see nothing and they "pawn" them off on unsuspecting cruise tourists.

So I guess the Best picks would be :

Seward: Kenai Flords Tours.......Kenai Fjords National Park Tour 11:30 am to 5:30pm Buyone get one free $139.00

Whittier:1st Choice: Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises.... Wilderness Explorer Glacier Cruise 11am to 5:30pm $99.00 each

2nd Choice: Phillips Cruises & Tours....The 26 Glacier Cruise 1pm to 5:30pm $99.00 each

We also have a boat tours in Juneau whale watching and in Ketchikan doing the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen`s Tour.

Just have to decide if we need to do all 4 boat tours or if any are kind of a repeat.

They all overlap some except for the Bering Sea Crab. Like if you did the first two, you may well get your fill of whale watching and don't need to do Juneau. Kenai Fjords is more wildlifey while PWS is more glaciery, but they otherwise overlap a good bit; and if your cruise ship is already going to both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, I wouldn't feel too bad slashing PWS. They're all good in the sense that it's just an excuse to be out in Alaska in a small boat, though (I'm kind of that way with golf...I hate golf...but I like the outdoors...so I like golf). Part of it is also luck--some people never see a whale on PWS, for example. Redundant sailings does improve your odds.

We also have a boat tours in Juneau whale watching and in Ketchikan doing the Bering Sea Crab Fishermen`s Tour.

Just have to decide if we need to do all 4 boat tours or if any are kind of a repeat.

I didn't plan a PWS tour because I thought we would have had our fill of boat rides. However, I could have gone on small boat tour everyday. I love natural beauty and that is what we usually go on vacation for. Not everyone would feel the same way, I am sure. You need to assess what you get pleasure from. We did the all day boat tour out of Juneau to Tracy Arm Fjord, and the 9 hour Northwestern Fjord Tour out of Seward. I wish I had done the Misty Fjords boat tour in Ketchikan and a PWS tour and yes, I had already been to Glacier Bay and College Fjords. It really is all about what you enjoy. Some would be in awe, others bored. Only you can decide which category you might fall into. The only boat tour I do not regret not doing was a whale watch. That tour I believe would have been a bit boring for me.

So I guess the Best picks would be :

Seward: Kenai Flords Tours.......Kenai Fjords National Park Tour 11:30 am to 5:30pm Buyone get one free $139.00

Whittier:1st Choice: Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises.... Wilderness Explorer Glacier Cruise 11am to 5:30pm $99.00 each

2nd Choice: Phillips Cruises & Tours....The 26 Glacier Cruise 1pm to 5:30pm $99.00 each

The above Seward reference is what we have been telling you from the begining. :)

As for Prince William Sound, the "best" is not on your list, and that is the longest, with Esther Passage. Your two listed are very similar, and probably doesn't make a difference which one. I have been on both.

Only my opinion. But a LOT of Alaska is "on the water", and all your choices are very different. I don't hesistate to go on numerous boat tours along with several flights- every chance I get. An always for me, is Kenai Fjords- every trip, and sometimes going out twice. They are NOT repeats. But only you can decide what is YOUR priority, find that out.

The only boat tour I do not regret not doing was a whale watch. That tour I believe would have been a bit boring for me.

Agreed. Some people swear by whale watching, but I'm not one of them. Between Seward and PWS you'll probably spot at least one or two, and you may be like, "Okay, so you see a fin flapping in the water. I get it." It's not that it isn't fun--it's just not $300 worth of fun, and there are other things out there MORE fun.

If possible, I would pick up the car much later that day or even the next morning. You can explore the downtown area on foot when you arrive. That way, you aren't rushing to get your car turned back in on your last day. Or just rent it for one more day. You don't want to be rushing back because of the car rental deadline.

Jimbo.

It looks like your getting it done. But now you should start checking the Budget unless it unlimited then you don't even need one. I know you have it itemized at around $7000. How about adding about 30% to that to be on the safe side. Also what is being duplicated or what can be eliminated.

One item I saw is tips on the ship @ $70.00 unless I'm reading this wrong that s/b X 4. Also there will be tips on almost everything you do including the taxi our was $50.00 and we thought she deserved and earned that much. Alaska is wonderful, beautiful, rememberable, and expensive but it is worth it IMHO.:eek:

I think the only budget I have ever had was general and in my head and most of the time I was close but never right on and maybe not as close as I thought either. I can think of dozens of examples. With kids though I do realize the importance of trying to stay within a range. Think your doing great.:D

If possible, I would pick up the car much later that day or even the next morning. You can explore the downtown area on foot when you arrive. That way, you aren't rushing to get your car turned back in on your last day. Or just rent it for one more day. You don't want to be rushing back because of the car rental deadline.

Don't think I can change the rental times and days now. Looks like the prices have gone up alot since I reserved it.:mad:

Jimbo.

It looks like your getting it done. But now you should start checking the Budget unless it unlimited then you don't even need one. I know you have it itemized at around $7000. How about adding about 30% to that to be on the safe side. Also what is being duplicated or what can be eliminated.

One item I saw is tips on the ship @ $70.00 unless I'm reading this wrong that s/b X 4. Also there will be tips on almost everything you do including the taxi our was $50.00 and we thought she deserved and earned that much. Alaska is wonderful, beautiful, rememberable, and expensive but it is worth it IMHO.:eek:

I think the only budget I have ever had was general and in my head and most of the time I was close but never right on and maybe not as close as I thought either. I can think of dozens of examples. With kids though I do realize the importance of trying to stay within a range. Think your doing great.:D

No kids....... Tips on the ship are $10 a day per person......Just my Wife and I. ($70.00) (70.00)

As far as the budget goes..I guess there is a limit but just haven't hit it yet:) As long as the things we are doing and the places we are staying at are GOOD it will be worth it I'm sure.

Agreed. Some people swear by whale watching, but I'm not one of them. Between Seward and PWS you'll probably spot at least one or two, and you may be like, "Okay, so you see a fin flapping in the water. I get it." It's not that it isn't fun--it's just not $300 worth of fun, and there are other things out there MORE fun.

All I have been reading is Juneau is the best place for Whale Watching. So we really want to experience that there. So that is a definite.

Don't think I can change the rental times and days now. Looks like the prices have gone up alot since I reserved it.:mad:

If it's something you're interested in, usually I've found that I can call and get a change for times with no change in cost. Once I even got days changed and stayed at the original rate. Doesn't hurt to try (if you agree with my reasoning:))

The above Seward reference is what we have been telling you from the begining. :)

As for Prince William Sound, the "best" is not on your list, and that is the longest, with Esther Passage. Your two listed are very similar, and probably doesn't make a difference which one. I have been on both.

Only my opinion. But a LOT of Alaska is "on the water", and all your choices are very different. I don't hesistate to go on numerous boat tours along with several flights- every chance I get. An always for me, is Kenai Fjords- every trip, and sometimes going out twice. They are NOT repeats. But only you can decide what is YOUR priority, find that out.

Tell me this please are cruise on Diamond Princess does go to both Glacier National Park and Hubbard Glacier.

By skipping the Boat tours in Whittier will we be missing that much? I understand that the smaller boats will go much closer to the glaciers and that the huge Cruiseships can't get as close. Other then that will we be missing anything else by not taking the smaller boat?

Jimbo

If it's something you're interested in, usually I've found that I can call and get a change for times with no change in cost. Once I even got days changed and stayed at the original rate. Doesn't hurt to try (if you agree with my reasoning:))

We will consider it, but that last day with the car we are only going to Girdwood which is only 39 miles away, if we get an early start that morning we should still have time to eat lunch at Hotel Alyeska and still get back to Anchorage by 3pm with no problem.

Jimbo

Archived