With help from alot of Cruise Critic Friends, Here's our Land/Cruise Intinerary

Jimbo

Tell me this please are cruise on Diamond Princess does go to both Glacier National Park and Hubbard Glacier.

By skipping the Boat tours in Whittier will we be missing that much? I understand that the smaller boats will go much closer to the glaciers and that the huge Cruiseships can't get as close. Other then that will we be missing anything else by not taking the smaller boat?

Jimbo

There is a significant difference between any cruiseship viewing and boat tour viewing. Just can't say it any other way. Being on the water and right up to the glaciers, is way enhanced over, even, the "best" cruiseship view. I have been on many Alaska cruiseships, including the "smaller" ones, when the routes were greatly superior, plus many boat tours. The boat tours always "win" in my opinion- for MY priority of visiting Alaska.

Only you can decide, what is important to you.

No kids....... Tips on the ship are $10 a day per person......Just my Wife and I. ($70.00) (70.00)

As far as the budget goes..I guess there is a limit but just haven't hit it yet:) As long as the things we are doing and the places we are staying at are GOOD it will be worth it I'm sure.

Jimbo:)

Sorry don't know where I had the idea you were taking kids. I can find you a couple if your want.:D

I see you budget something like I do.:cool:

Broncos Now 5 zip but Rocks let on get away.

Jimbo--

I've been following your itinerary ideas and shamelessly borrowing big pieces of it. One thing I'm curious about: how did you choose this particular rafting company? The reason I'm asking is that it looks like there's one that's in the Toursaver:

http://www.toursaver.com/index.php/nenana-gorge-whitewater-float-trip-alaska/

so I'm curious why you didn't pick that one. Otherwise, I'm going to continue to follow your lead!

Jimbo--

I've been following your itinerary ideas and shamelessly borrowing big pieces of it. One thing I'm curious about: how did you choose this particular rafting company? The reason I'm asking is that it looks like there's one that's in the Toursaver:

http://www.toursaver.com/index.php/nenana-gorge-whitewater-float-trip-alaska/

so I'm curious why you didn't pick that one. Otherwise, I'm going to continue to follow your lead!

Found it listed on the tours on the alaskatravel.com site.

Be careful using the toursaver coupons you see listed on their site right now because those companies may not be in the 2010 book.

I have been looking at your itinerary you have been talking about and saying wow that person is doing some of the same things we are doing. LOL

No problem feel free to use anything you want.

Jimbo:)

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I am starting to plan my dream trip to Alaska for my honeymoon. So here is my question...

Why do a cruise? From what I am reading the land part goes to all of the best places of Alaska, on water and off. So why are you doing a cruise?

Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I am starting to plan my dream trip to Alaska for my honeymoon. So here is my question...

Why do a cruise? From what I am reading the land part goes to all of the best places of Alaska, on water and off. So why are you doing a cruise?

Alaska is a BIG place and a cruise offers the opportunity to see Southeast Alaska, which is vastly different from interior Alaska. It offers a great touring option to consider. Of course, you can definately have an excellent time with going into Anchorage round trip and spending all your time touring interior. Depends what YOU want to see and do.

I suggest you head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska are especially good. Then find out about areas and what they offer, make lists. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm in need of just one coupon from the 2010 Northern Lights discount book:

Major Marine Tours

Whittier

Two For One (5) Hour Prince William Sound Glacier Cruise. Valid 5/15/2010 to 9/12/2010

Would anyone mind passing this along to me if you aren't using it? I own the 2010 TourSaver book and pass it along to you if you are going to Alaska after me (we return on July 15th).

Before I researched Alaska I did not want to go on a cruise, but only wanted to do land. However, my DH really wanted to do the cruise. So, my research began and I quickly learned that SE Alaska was very different from interior Alaska. I soon determined we had to do BOTH. We went on a 7 night cruise and spent 9 days on land. What a trip!!! Cruising is the most economical way of seeing SE Alaska, especially if you are willing to book a less expensive cabin. There are phenomonal glaciers in SE Alaska that I would not have wanted to miss. We enjoyed our land tour, but I have to say, the scenery on our cruise was phenomonal and better than I ever dreamed. It did help that our ship took the "small craft" route.

Before I researched Alaska I did not want to go on a cruise, but only wanted to do land. However, my DH really wanted to do the cruise. So, my research began and I quickly learned that SE Alaska was very different from interior Alaska. I soon determined we had to do BOTH. We went on a 7 night cruise and spent 9 days on land. What a trip!!! Cruising is the most economical way of seeing SE Alaska, especially if you are willing to book a less expensive cabin. There are phenomonal glaciers in SE Alaska that I would not have wanted to miss. We enjoyed our land tour, but I have to say, the scenery on our cruise was phenomonal and better than I ever dreamed. It did help that our ship took the "small craft" route.

haha.. that's how our alaska trip evolved too. we ended up going there twice.

Archived