With help from alot of Cruise Critic Friends, Here's our Land/Cruise Intinerary

Jimbo

Do you think anything needs more tweaking?

15 days total, total cost thus far minus food, gas on land portion, and Cruise onboard tab.

$2550.00 Land Portion

$2390.00 Cruise Portion

$650.00 Airfare Estimate

$650.00 Airfare Estimate

Total cost so far $6250.00

Arrival into Anchorage, late afternoon arrival May 21, 2010

Taxi to Enterprise 926 E 4th Ave. Anchorage, Ak

Car rental (Enterprise)

Pick-Up: Friday May 21, 2010 3:00pm

Drop Off : Wednesday May 26, 2010 3:00pm

Cost: ($117.00)

1 night Anchorage(Friday) Anchorage Grand Hotel ($99.00)

Saturday Morning drive to Talkeetna (113 miles)

1 night Talkeetna(Saturday)

Denali Fireside Cabins &Suites ($129.00)

Talkeetna Air Taxi

Denali Flightseeing Tour (McKinley Base Camp Tour with Glacier Landing)

Toursaver Coupon Buy one get one Free ($310.00)

Sunday Morning Drive to Denali (153 miles)

2 nights Denali (Sunday & Monday)

McKinley Creekside Cabins & Cafe ($99.00) ($99.00) 2 nights

Denali Raft McKinley Mild Water (First evening) ($84.00) ($84.00)

Park shuttle to Toklat (54 miles into the Park)(Am second day) ($37.00) ($37.00)

Tuesday Morning drive south to Denali to Anchorage (224 miles)

2 nights in Anchorage (Tuesday & Wednesday) Anchorage Grand Hotel ($99.00) ($99.00) 2 nights

Tuesday Tour Downtown Anchorage(Alaska Native Heritage Center,Anchorage Museum,Iditarod Sled Dog Race etc.

Wednesday morning drive(38 miles) along Turnagain Arm for Glacier Express Tram/Lunch comb @ Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, Ak ($28.00) ($28.00)

Return Car rental when we get back to(38 miles) to Anchorage by (3:00pm)

Thursday Morning

Alaska Railroad Anchorage to Seward - Dome Train ($160.00) ($160.00)

2 Nights in Seward(Thursday & Friday)

Harborview Inn Seward Hotel ($159.00) ($159.00)

Relax and Tour Downtown Seward before our Cruise on Diamond Princess on Saturday May 29, 2010

Exit Glacier Tour ($24.00) ($24.00)

Alaska SeaLife Center ($20.00) ($20.00)

PJS Taxi & Tours- Transportation from Seward to Whittier ($250.00) hoping to share this cost with another couple from CruiseCritic with someone else needing transportation from Seward to Whittier at 8am. on May 29, 2010.

Saturday Morning leave for 11am Prince William Sound Boat Tour(Wilderness Explorer Tour) ($109.00)($109.00)

Diamond Princess May 29, 2010

Inside Cabin Category II (Large Interior Double) ($807.00) ($807.00)

Tips ($70.00) ($70.00)

($75.00 Onboard Credit)

Sat May 29 Whittier 8:30pm

Sun May 30 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 3:00pm 8:00pm

Mon May 31 Glacier National Park (Cruising) 10:30am 8:30pm

Tue Jun 1 Skagway, Ak 7:00am 8:30pm

Undecided ?

Wed Jun 2 Juneau, Ak 6:30am 4:00pm

Whale Watching (Adventures in Alaska) with Captain Jack on SCANIA ( 3 hours 15 minutes) Pick up at Pier ($159.00) ($159.00)

Thu Jun 3 Ketchikan, Ak 10:00am 6:00pm

Bering Sea Crab Fishermen`s Tour aboard ALEUTIAN BALLAD ($159.00) (159.00) Have contacted them already they will not be participating in the toursaver Book in 2010 ;(

Fri Jun 4 At Sea

Sat Jun 5 Vancover, BC Canada 7:30am

This certainly has come a long way since your early planning. You have a well thought out routing, and plenty of time at destinations.

Only a comment, but it is hardly worth going to Seward with your current touring listing. As you already know, with the timeframe you have, a Kenai Fjords boat tour is most recommended. I know you have a concern about sea sickness, but if that's the case, then you really need to be prepared all the way around including your cruise ship. I have seen plenty of sick passengers. As only a suggestion- I would consult a health care professional, and see if there is a recommendation to consider.

I put together a photo sample with Kenai fjords highlights a few years ago. These are the sightings from a single trip. I have taken many boat trips, and it's always a must do for me.

If it's not an interest, "I" would alter the route to do a loop of the Glenn, to Valdez and ferry to Whittier. :) Way too many choices. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Itinerary looks great now.

As far as Seward, I do remember from your earlier posts that you really wanted to take the train between Seward and Anchorage. You figured out how to fit it in and I am sure you will enjoy it. (Not sure you need to pay extra for the dome car though) This train ride was a true highlight of our 18 day trip. I would just suggest that you stay one night in Seward instead of two if you really don't want to go on the boat tour. Not sure there is enough to fill your time. My DH and I are prone to seasickness. We were on a trip where many were sick. HOWever, with our precautions, we did well. If you are after wildlife, I do think you would enjoy the trip. Just go for the 6 hour trip rather than the 9 hour. In rough waters, the 9 hour trip can be long as it was in our case.

Let us know what you decide.

This certainly has come a long way since your early planning. You have a well thought out routing, and plenty of time at destinations.

Only a comment, but it is hardly worth going to Seward with your current touring listing. As you already know, with the timeframe you have, a Kenai Fjords boat tour is most recommended. I know you have a concern about sea sickness, but if that's the case, then you really need to be prepared all the way around including your cruise ship. I have seen plenty of sick passengers. As only a suggestion- I would consult a health care professional, and see if there is a recommendation to consider.

I put together a photo sample with Kenai fjords highlights a few years ago. These are the sightings from a single trip. I have taken many boat trips, and it's always a must do for me.

If it's not an interest, "I" would alter the route to do a loop of the Glenn, to Valdez and ferry to Whittier. :) Way too many choices. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

The thing with going to Seward is we really want to take that train ride from Anchorage to Seward which has the best scenic route. I just don't see a way of doing that without a one-way rental which we really don't want to do.

We won't arrive to mid-day our first day is Seward, so really we have just a day and half stay there, we have to leave early our check-out day to get to the Prince William Sound Boat Tour in Whittier.

You talked about going to Glenn to Valdez and then ferry to Whittier, but with no car how would we get to Glenn and then to Valdez?

Jimbo:)

Itinerary looks great now.

As far as Seward, I do remember from your earlier posts that you really wanted to take the train between Seward and Anchorage. You figured out how to fit it in and I am sure you will enjoy it. (Not sure you need to pay extra for the dome car though) This train ride was a true highlight of our 18 day trip. I would just suggest that you stay one night in Seward instead of two if you really don't want to go on the boat tour. Not sure there is enough to fill your time. My DH and I are prone to seasickness. We were on a trip where many were sick. HOWever, with our precautions, we did well. If you are after wildlife, I do think you would enjoy the trip. Just go for the 6 hour trip rather than the 9 hour. In rough waters, the 9 hour trip can be long as it was in our case.

Let us know what you decide.

I know I talked to my wife about just going in a regular car on the train but she seems to really want to do the Dome Car, I know it's alot less money doing it your way. Do they ever have coupons in the Toursaver Book for that portion of the train ride?

My wife doesn't have a problem on the cruise ships with sea sickness it's just sometimes on those small excursion boats like they have in the Caribbean, you know the ones where you are snokeling and if you are not in the water and just sitting in the boat where it is bobbing up and down. That is trouble for her.

I think we will be fine in Alaska though, I don't think we will be as far out in the open sea.

We booked an Whale Watching Excursion in Juneau, that will give your money back if you don't spot a whale(Like that's going to happen right?) But they also refund your money if you get sea sick (I guy can dream right) Sounds like a buy one get one free excursion for us right? ;) Just kidding lol

I know I talked to my wife about just going in a regular car on the train but she seems to really want to do the Dome Car, I know it's alot less money doing it your way. Do they ever have coupons in the Toursaver Book for that portion of the train ride?

My wife doesn't have a problem on the cruise ships with sea sickness it's just sometimes on those small excursion boats like they have in the Caribbean, you know the ones where you are snokeling and if you are not in the water and just sitting in the boat where it is bobbing up and down. That is trouble for her.

I think we will be fine in Alaska though, I don't think we will be as far out in the open sea.

We booked an Whale Watching Excursion in Juneau, that will give your money back if you don't spot a whale(Like that's going to happen right?) But they also refund your money if you get sea sick (I guy can dream right) Sounds like a buy one get one free excursion for us right? ;) Just kidding lol

You will have to check the coupon books when they come out to see what is available for you for next season.

From all I have read, it is extremely rare for anyone to get seasick on the Juneau whale watches.

If your DW is adamant about not going on a Kenai Fjords tour, then that is not an option. I will say my DH and I have been miserably seasick in the past on a ferry crossing Lake Michigan. My DH was also seasick on a fishing boat that was bobbing, as you described. With our precautions we managed fine on the Kenai Fjords Tour. I think your DW would too. Once you have been seasick, I know it is very difficult to want to do anything that may duplicate that horrible feeling again. I debated it a long time, but from all the great reports I had read, I felt we had to do this trip. We even signed up for the 9 hour trip. If we went again, it would definitely be for the 6 hour.

Obviously everyone has their own interests -- and things they want to avoid -- but to me it is hard to imagine being in Seward without doing a Kenai Fjords tour. We spend extra on a rental car from Whittier and drove all the way from Seward to Denali just so that we could get in the tour in the limited time we had. And for us, it was worth it. We saw lots of wildlife, including lots of birds -- which my screen name may suggest is of particular interest -- and had crippling views of the Ailik Glacier.

Of course, I have only gotten seasick once in my life, and we had a very smooth day.

I would consider changing the Denali Raft McKinley Mild Water to the white water ride. I did it at the end of August and the water was so low that it wasn't all that wild. The guide even said that the mild water ride is kind of boring and not really worth the $.

I would consider changing the Denali Raft McKinley Mild Water to the white water ride. I did it at the end of August and the water was so low that it wasn't all that wild. The guide even said that the mild water ride is kind of boring and not really worth the $.

Yes we are thinking that one over too. Might be replacing that with something else.

Alaska cruise sailing certainly can be extremely rough. Crossing the Gulf Of Alaska which you are doing is one area. It is also very common to have open ocean sailing part of your trip anyway. I've been on ships where it was a good portion of the time, the last sailing day. Cruiseships no longer sail coastal in Alaska, like they did several years ago.

Humpbacks are seen on 100% of the trips out of Juneau.

Not worried in the least bit about the cruiseship. We have been roundtrip from San Diego to Hawaii and through the Panama Canal from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale on Radiance Class ships which are smaller then Diamond.

Also did a Reposition Cruise from San Juan to New York city, last stop Bermuda on the tiny Empress of the Seas years ago.I don't think it can get much rougher then that ship was when we were leaving Bermuda. When we were lieing in bed on your back looking at the ceiling it would turn you all the way on your side so you were then looking at the cabin's wall and then back to your back again and it was like that all night.:eek:

Very few people in Windjammer for breakfast that morning, it was like a private breakfast. Really fun:D

She got through that okay so I think the cruise will be fine.

Wednesday morning drive(38 miles) along Turnagain Arm for Glacier Express Tram/Lunch comb @ Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, Ak ($28.00) ($28.00)

Saturday Morning leave for 11am Prince William Sound Boat Tour(Wilderness Explorer Tour) ($109.00)($109.00)

A few of things you have listed are also in the coupon books. The Alyeska Tram, Alaska SeaLife Center and Prince William Sound tour through Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises. So that may help you as well if you are already planning to do those things.

Have a wonderful trip.

A few of things you have listed are also in the coupon books. The Alyeska Tram, Alaska SeaLife Center and Prince William Sound tour through Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises. So that may help you as well if you are already planning to do those things.

Have a wonderful trip.

This needs to be verified as the deals do change. The new offers will be out shortly.

You have really done your homework.

Enjoy your land and cruise!!

Had alot of help from Members on here helping me tweak it some.:) With 246 days to go there is still more time to tweak it until we get it right:D

Looked at a Cruise tour that was only 5 days long that was still going to cost $2500 addtional to the cruise cost, but our plan has us doing so much more and seeing so much more of Alaska. Be silly to do a cruise tour.

Had alot of help from Members on here helping me tweak it some.:) With 246 days to go there is still more time to tweak it until we get it right:D

Looked at a Cruise tour that was only 5 days long that was still going to cost $2500 addtional to the cruise cost, but our plan has us doing so much more and seeing so much more of Alaska. Be silly to do a cruise tour.

The "fine tuning" is what will set your trip apart. :) It has come along nicely and includes your priorities, which is the bottom line. A great trip is in store for you.

This needs to be verified as the deals do change. The new offers will be out shortly.

Just sent my check in for my yearly Northern Lights coupon book and it should be ready after 10/16/09. I'll be out of town while it comes out but once I get my hands on mine I'll let you know what's going to be out there for 2010.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Very nice itinerary!

Just sent my check in for my yearly Northern Lights coupon book and it should be ready after 10/16/09. I'll be out of town while it comes out but once I get my hands on mine I'll let you know what's going to be out there for 2010.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thans you, Look forward to what you find out is available for 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

There goes the budget, we just tweaked from an Inside Cabin to a Aft Balcony Cabin facing the Wake:eek:

15 days total, total cost thus far minus food, gas on land portion, and Cruise onboard tab.

$2550.00 Land Portion

$3690.00 Cruise Portion (including 2 excursions listed below on cruise in Junuea & Ketchikan)

$450.00 Airfare

$450.00 Airfare

Total cost so far $7140.00

Car rental (Enterprise)

Talkeetna Air Taxi

Park shuttle to Toklat (54 miles into the Park)(Am second day) ($37.00) ($37.00)

2 nights in Anchorage (Tuesday & Wednesday) Anchorage Grand Hotel ($99.00) ($99.00) 2 nights

Tuesday Tour Downtown Anchorage(Alaska Native Heritage Center,Anchorage Museum,Iditarod Sled Dog Race etc.

Thursday Morning

Relax and Tour Downtown Seward before our Cruise on Diamond Princess on Saturday May 29, 2010

PJS Taxi & Tours- Transportation from Seward to Whittier ($250.00) hoping to share this cost with another couple from CruiseCritic with someone else needing transportation from Seward to Whittier at 8am. on May 29, 2010.

Inside Cabin Category II (Large Interior Double) ($807.00) ($807.00)

Tips ($70.00) ($70.00)

($75.00 Onboard Credit)

Undecided ?

Whale Watching (Adventures in Alaska) with Captain Jack on SCANIA ( 3 hours 15 minutes) Pick up at Pier ($159.00) ($159.00)

Bering Sea Crab Fishermen`s Tour aboard ALEUTIAN BALLAD ($159.00) (159.00) Have contacted them already they will not be participating in the toursaver Book in 2010 ;(

Fri Jun 4 At Sea

Jimbo,

Looks like a great trip.

If you haven't already you might want to check if there is a roll call for your cruise. If so, perhaps you can find someone there to share your taxi from Seward to Whittier.

If I recall correctly, your wife is prone to seasickness. If that is the case, do you realize that an aft location may not be the best choice. From all I have read about seasickness, you are more apt to be bothered if you are watching where you have been, rather than ahead to where you are going.

We have been in Aft cabins before facing the wake, WE love them. It's just the smaller bobbing up and down boats she SOMETIMES has problems with.

The roll call started so far hardly has anyone on it, I will wait until after the New Year to post looking to Share a Ride.

Jimbo,

Been reading your planning with interest. And I can't add much to the super advise you have gotten. Just a couple of comments.

Think you made a super choice on an aft balcony especially for Alaska. We just returned in August from Alaska and the Island Princess. We had the most aft mini suite as you can get and loved it. This was the coldest weather we have encountered on our Alaska cruises so the balcony was a real treat. Also keep checking Princess pricing for price declines, at least weekly if not daily.

The Diamond/Sapphire is a great ship never crowded, great food and entertainment. The kids will love it. We took our grand daughter couple of years ago on the Coral and just had a wonderful cruise. We think it was the best cruise we have ever done because we saw cruising and Alaska through her eyes. Oh my gosh.:D

Did you know that AAA Auto Club in their latest magazine has the train from Anchorage to Seward as one of the top ten scenic train rides in the, not just the USA, but in the world. But save a little money the regular car is more than adequate. Alaska is expensive.

Also to do Seward and not do Kenai Fjords is a shame. I think it is an absolute must see. We did the 9 hr one this time and have done the 6 hr one also. Water was smooth but you get some motion from the stopping, starting and turning but very minor. Do think the 9hr tour can get long. Halibut is great at the bar/restaurant with the world greatest Jim Beam bottle collection and breakfast is really good at the restaurant/hotel across the street from the small boat docks. They also have a Subway there that's good.

We also used PJ'S. Great gal and lots of knowledge. It is a long way off but if you remember say Hi to Renee from Jack and Nora.

One more item when you get to Whittier if you have time put the little museum on your list it is worth a stop and quiet educational for adults and kids. It's not very far from the ship.

This will be a vacation you guys will remember for ever.:o

Darn those Rockies just took one in our own Park.:(

There goes the budget, we just tweaked from an Inside Cabin to a Aft Balcony Cabin facing the Wake

$2550.00 Land Portion

$3690.00 Cruise Portion (including 2 excursions listed below on cruise in Junuea & Ketchikan)

$450.00 Airfare

$450.00 Airfare

Total cost so far $7140.00

Car rental (Enterprise)

Talkeetna Air Taxi

Thursday Morning

Balcony Cabin Category BB(Aft facing the Wake) ($1425.00) ($1425.00)

Tips ($70.00) ($70.00)

($75.00 Onboard Credit)

Undecided ?

Fri Jun 4 At Sea

Archived